Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Jean recommendations
  • PMK2060

I am struggling to find a good fitting pair of jeans at the moment and was hoping you gentlemen could help.

I have a couple of pairs of Edwin ED55 but recently I am finding them too tight around the calf area.

Can you recommend a good pair of jeans that have a decent amount of room in the calf area but are not too baggy?

I do not want to spend silly money but happy to spend up to £150.

wrecker
    Free Member

Lee 101Z (make sure it’s the Z) a touch high maybe but nice jeans.

johndoh
    Free Member

I do not want to spend silly money.

happy to spend up to £150.

LeeW

I have a couple of Hiut raw denims which are pretty roomy around the calf. Too roomy for me though to be honest.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Your sister’s?

LeeW

Universal Works and Hawksmill are pretty good too to ne fair, Hawksmill do a pair of Selvedge for around £140.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sorry just re-read that post, is £150 NOT silly money then? 😯

rascal
    Free Member

I do not want to spend silly money but happy to spend up to £150.

😯

Really? I would consider that a ridiculous amount to spend on a pair of jeans!

Lee at TK Maxx – £40. Great jeans.

EDIT: BEATEN TO IT

cheekyboy
    Free Member

For VFM = Uniqlo

4 pairs for £150

RustySpanner

PMK2060

Thanks for the replies.

I understand that £150 is a lot of money for a pair of jeans but I am willing to spend that to get a pair that fit well (I would rather spend less). I do not wear jeans everyday so they should last a while.

PMK2060

Thanks for the replies.

I understand that £150 is a lot of money for a pair of jeans but I am willing to spend that to get a pair that fit well (I would rather spend less). I do not wear jeans everyday so they should last a while.

Sorry double post

wwaswas

Howies have got some decent jeans in at the moment – I got a pair of the straight leg and they’re a good fit. I’m mostly a 32 but go for a 34 with Howies to get thigh room.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Levi 511 commuter jeans

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Albam or A.P.C. New Standard, the latter will need taking up unless you are very tall though.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Under 40 years old albam
    Over 40 y/o albam or Edwin

tang
    Free Member

Carhartt? Cheap and designed for Americans.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Gap. You’ll figure it out.

Gap.

Daffy

Hilfiger jeans have a generous cut around the thigh and calf.

mikey74
    Free Member

+1 for Gap.

I was sceptical: I have always been a Levis person and refused to go into these “trendy” stores. However, I also refuse to pay the price of Levis in this country. On a shopping trip a few months ago,I forced myself to go into the Gap store and “just see what the deal was”. I ended up buying some of their “1969” jeans and I have been pleasantly surprised. Not bad at all for £40.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Albam but I think you will struggle to get something loser (but straight cut) than an ED 55? (I have both)
    If your arse/thighs are that big then maybe a real trad selvage Jean for bikers like an iron heart would get you the room and still have a high enough rise? (Presuming you are not a teenager wanting to show your kalvins)
    You could push the boat outfor some ROY or Ande Whale they do different cuts and if you check the Edwin 55 sizing chart you will see if they are bigger in the thigh.
    Edwin did a Greenville? Or was it waysville? I remember trying some on years ago and they were very wide IIRC.

Nothing wrong with spending on good selvage denim, if you can afford it why not? The amount of wear you get from a good pair makes them better value than cheap I denim.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Caarrhharrtt Murphy.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Caarrhharrtt Murphy.
    If they don’t fit , send em back for free.

Or the other Edwins,

chewkw
    Free Member

Paying anything beyond £50 is a rip off …

wwaswas

And no one should pay more than £1500 for a mountain bike 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

hoping you gentlemen could help.

Gentlemen do not wear pantalons de Nîmes.

Also, £150? One hundred and fifty whole pounds? Are you batshitmental?

😉

PMK2060

MrSmith – Edwin ed55 fit ok around the arse and thighs but are too tight around the calves. I will have a look at the APC new standards and GAP jeans.

wrecker
    Free Member

I have a pair of the uniqlo selvedge denims as well as a good few pairs of far more expensive jeans (lee 101, nudie etc) and the denim used in the uniqlos are as good as many and better than quite a few. They don’t seem quite as well made, but they are a nice fit (not too roomy, but don’t bind on my calves which a few do).
    I’d recommend them.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Is £150 quid ridiculous for jeans nowadays? Decent jeans last forever…its the one item of clothing that i dont begrudge spending money on.

Id go diesel, lots of styles and slightly less than your budget.

CountZero

I have a pair of the uniqlo selvedge denims as well as a good few pairs of far more expensive jeans (lee 101, nudie etc) and the denim used in the uniqlos are as good as many and better than quite a few. They don’t seem quite as well made, but they are a nice fit (not too roomy, but don’t bind on my calves which a few do).
    I’d recommend them.

Absolutely! I recently bought a pair of Uniqlo selvedge jeans, which have been pre-washed; I’ve got a couple of pairs of unwashed indigo selvedge, but those were in short supply, and none in the size that fits me, 34×34.
    They’re wonderful to wear, they remind me so much of old pairs of 501’s that I bought back in the 70’s, which I can’t get into any more. So very comfy, I love them, and £34.90 is perfectly acceptable. Item number 135738 are the ones I got.

CountZero

I’d recommend them.

Absolutely! I recently bought a pair of Uniqlo selvedge jeans, which have been pre-washed; I’ve got a couple of pairs of unwashed indigo selvedge, but those were in short supply, and none in the size that fits me, 34×34.
    They’re wonderful to wear, they remind me so much of old pairs of 501’s that I bought back in the 70’s, which I can’t get into any more. So very comfy, I love them, and £34.90 is perfectly acceptable. These are the ones I got:
    http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/130084
    I have found that while the length is accurate, the waist size is a size under what you’d normally wear, IE if you take a 32, like wot I do, you need to get a 34. Not sure why, but I tried a pair on in one of the London stores before I ordered online, and was glad I did.
    Really excellent jeans, though, can’t fault the quality.
    They could do with having a 36″ leg, for the lanky among us, though.

kayak23

MrSmith – Member
    Albam but I think you will struggle to get something loser

Bit harsh…

mattsccm
    Free Member

Am I the only one who likes the leg fit of modern skinny jeans but hates the way that the damn things have a waist band on the hips with the rear pockets halfway down your arse. The look makes women look like Snow Whites little mates and me look like I want to be 15 again.

righog
    Free Member

Am I the only one who likes the leg fit of modern skinny jeans but hates the way that the damn things have a waist band on the hips with the rear pockets halfway down your arse. The look makes women look like Snow Whites little mates and me look like I want to be 15 again.

This !!!

Noticed in an airport the other day everyone wearing jeans ( including me ) are forever pulling the waist bands up…Only noticed as I had a new pair on ( from next which are great apart from the low waist )

MrSmith
    Free Member

You can get tighter fit and a mid to high rise (technical term for waist height) if you look around,
    being middle aged with your midriff or arse hanging out is not a good look!

aether531
    Free Member

I’ve had a Jean fetish for some time now and I’m happy to spend a fair bit on something that I’ll wear for a long time. I suppose I could wear cheaper jeans made from a worse fabric and not enjoy them as much. It’s kind of like having Chris King stuff on your bike…

Anyway Iron Heart 634 are nice, but at £200 maybe a bit over budget. You could also try to buy from Rakuten Japan for a bit of a saving? If so Samurai Jeans are my favourite, the S5000 Black are lovely.

razorrazoo

Nudie have styles that come up well fitted around the top part but have more room lower down the leg. I think Slim Jim’s or Grim Tim’s are the ones you want.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Spliffy? Joe bloggs? they were quite loose.

PMK2060

Joe Bloggs dungarees were the denim of choice when I was at school.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Uniqlo Selvedge are spotty dog IMHO.
    And a bargin at under £40.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Jean recommendations’ is closed to new replies.