Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • James May Manlab BBC Sunday 21.00
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00bvdts

Looks good, masculinateing the male onece more,doing the jobs to make us more of a man.

samuri
    Free Member

possibly. I’m a bit worried by statements like ‘learn how to deal with the mysteries of romance and reclaim the notion of teamwork in a series of daunting challenges’.

Surely doing these sorts of things merely reinforces his original complaint? If modern man really is a proper man, he’d be doing all this sort of stuff naturally. Fighting a bear before breakfast would be commonplace., I was hoping this program would be all about proving that real men do still roam the earth rather than trying to educate some floppy hairs who own ‘3 day shave’ razors and wear scarves in the manner of ladies into the ways of man.

project
    Free Member

just starting now……………….

molgrips
    Free Member

Er, what’s fiddling with cars and DIY got to do with being male?

How f*ckn sexist!

Oh and the main reason men don’t fiddle with cars so much any more is that they don’t need as much fiddling with.

Mark84
    Free Member

Not really sure if serenading is likely to work that well.

GrahamS

Might just be because I’m off my tits on Haribo but I quite enjoyed it.

rOcKeTdOg

manlab(full stop)co(fullstop)uk made me laff

project
    Free Member

When the bomb went off it looked like a big piece of something hit him on the back.

I so want that train set.

trailertrash

Things like this are generally classed as more masculine activities than feminine.

CountZero

Really enjoyed it. Great fun, looking forward to the rest of the series.

skiboy
    Free Member

got bored after 15mins and turned over, bit too much of the top gear format, FAIL

uplink
    Free Member

Quite a lot really, I’d hazard a guess that in most families the bloke does the bulk of the DIY & car/bike fiddling [if required] & the woman does the cooking/cleaning/shopping stuff – generally speaking, of course

How f*ckn sexist!

That’s the whole – tongue in cheek – point of the programme

Drac

Thought it was a bit crap, didn’t like the format of it at all.

“Let’s make a mans kitchen, out of cement”

Yeah great that’s exactly what we’d do.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Boring.

FAIL.

Stoner
    Free Member

Drac – OK, since James May is probably reading this thread how about some ideas for his next series?

I’ll start:

1) Whittling
    2) Butchering a lamb carcass
    3) Stripping and rebuilding a 2-stroke mower engine
    4) Home brew cider/wine/beer
    5) Clay pigeon shooting

Drac

6) Real shooting not clays
    7) Building flat pack without using the instructions, men don’t use instructions
    8.) Building a WWII bomb replica

Stoner
    Free Member

6) Real shooting not clays

Vermin shooting only. Real men dont pay to shoot game.

trailertrash

uplink said

How f*ckn sexist!
    That’s the whole – tongue in cheek – point of the programme

also I think the point was that there’s loads of really positive stuff about being a man – a manly man if you like – that is really being rubbished these days and that’s wrong. There’s nothing wrong with a positive traditional masculine role model – a man who fixes cars, does DIY, cast a concrete kitchen, but also cuddles his kids, makes simple food…etc etc….

being a man is complicated. on one level you have to be the loving tender protector and fixer of all things, yet you have to also be strong and willing to fight, sometimes literally, for things. Tall order.

I can see this getting a roasting….

IanMunro
    Free Member

9) Build a bicycle without a torque wrench.

being a man is complicated. on one level you have to be the loving tender protector and fixer of all things, yet you have to also be strong and willing to fight, sometimes literally, for things. Tall order.

F-off back to dadsnet.
    🙂

trailertrash

🙂 I know! what’s happened to me?

Stoner
    Free Member

trailertrash, yesterday:

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Lost it for me when he started telling me what sauces to put on a fishfinger sarnie… seriously, wtf does he know… 🙄

iDave
    Free Member

my 10 year old is very proud of his new whittling knife, which he bought with his pocket money. a proud dad moment.

Drac

Vermin shooting only. Real men dont pay to shoot game.

That goes without saying.

Lost it for me when he started telling me what sauces to put on a fishfinger sarnie… seriously, wtf does he know..

The fact he was calling it a manwich had me very worried, I don’t think Manwich is the best phrase to use. Anyway a man would have a big fat steak sandwich not kiddies food.

Stoner
    Free Member

I don’t think Manwich is the best phrase to use

Dutch rudders?

iDave
    Free Member
    Drac

Ermmm! Not really Stoner know kind gave me the idea he was talking of man on man love.

Junkyard
    Free Member

was ok ish bit tame he is normal a bit mor eengaging than that and trains set FFS how dull I went and washed up 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Got bored and went to bed after about 15 minutes. Sounds like I didn’t miss much

KINGTUT
    Free Member

1) Whittling
    2) Butchering a lamb carcass
    3) Stripping and rebuilding a 2-stroke mower engine
    4) Home brew cider/wine/beer
    5) Clay pigeon shooting

Been done, Southerners of a certain age may remember this..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icBXEfSwIr4&feature=related[/video]

br
    Free Member

I our house, Man’s Work is:

1 Anything that is done in the garage
    2 Anything to do with cars (including my wifes’)
    3 IT
    4 Decorating and general DIY
    5 Anything to do with the loft, including taking stuff up/down

project
    Free Member

But we do have a demasculinisation of the male, we have male models using their bodies as do women to sell us stuff, male dancers on almost every tv show, men wantiung to take the career choice of working in offices and it, as oposed to actual producing something, and finally men working in restrauntsand shops selling girlie stuff.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

masculinateing

and

demasculinisation

You’re not a relative of Melissa from The Apprentice are you? Someone call the Collins Dictonary people – this thread is worth it alone for these words.

Junkyard
    Free Member

male dancers

OMG men dancing ..is this a recent phemomena 😯

working in offices

What like lawyers, accountants , stock brokers
    Actually before I go on was that a sarcastic post or do you mean it?

You are a man because you have specfic genitalia. Whatever you do you are still a man be it flower arranging, boxing or riding a bike.

project
    Free Member

Man skills have been erroded over the years, we are no longer seen as the hunter gatherer, but as a servant to the state, men now employ other men to fix the car, or anything else instead of just manning up and doing it themselves with a few man mates.

There is absolutely no reason why women shouldnt work in accountancy, stock broking and other office jobs freeing up the men to work in productive industries,like manufacturing and manual work.

Trimix
    Free Member

Does anyone know of a woman ever going into the loft ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

project bad news the 1950’s are the past MTFU and live in the now eh 😉

CaptJon
    Free Member

project – Member
    But we do have a demasculinisation of the male

Masculinity is a social construct.

project – Member
    Man skills have been erroded over the years, we are no longer seen as the hunter gatherer, but as a servant to the state, men now employ other men to fix the car, or anything else instead of just manning up and doing it themselves with a few man mates.

There is absolutely no reason why women shouldnt work in accountancy, stock broking and other office jobs freeing up the men to work in productive industries,like manufacturing and manual work.

That is funny, but at the same time manages to capture a concept called redundant masculinities

MussEd
    Free Member

Never watched it, but purely on the narrow minded premise of I NEVER take advice on anything{let alone masculinity} from some **** who singlehandedly made it acceptable for middle-aged men to wear flowery shirts(maybe Alfie from Eastenders had a hand in this too), and have shoulder length blow-dried hair. Ponce.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well said MussEd.

Didn’t see this but it sounds a bit patronising.

Still, he’s clearly carved a comfy niche out for himself as a professional “bloke”, so good luck to him.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘James May Manlab BBC Sunday 21.00’ is closed to new replies.