Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 150 total)
  • It's World Vegan Day
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

3. Its a wig

walleater

glasgowdan – Member
    I’m still trying to figure out why every vegan I’ve met looks like their skin’s about to fall off…i mean, if it’s so healthy and all.

Not only is my skin falling off, I was walking down the street the other day and one of my arms fell off. An entire arm! Talk about embarrassing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

should have eaten it to save yourself

rickonwheels
    Free Member

I was just thinking about the myth that vegans always tell everyone they meet. I don’t do this, but realised that after getting into mountain biking a couple of years ago, i’d drop MTBing into conversation pretty much straight away with anyone I spoke to. It’s just an enthusiasm thing, y’know.

Junkyard
    Free Member

every time i get hear that i ask folk if its true that they have no idea what any of their mates eat and are clueless about who eats meat

Does anyone know if Binners is a meat eater?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Bad thing is, my 6 month old also may be either milk intolerant or have a milk allergy…kinda feel responsible for it!

Good chance they’ll grow out of it so don’t worry on that front, even if not it’s hardly a huge problem these days and they won’t miss what they’ve never had either so no “ooohhhhh i really miss cheese” even in the worst* case.

*it’s really not that bad.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bad thing is, my 6 month old also may be either milk intolerant or have a milk allergy…kinda feel responsible for it!

You’re not. Have a read of this…

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/nov/21/should-humans-drink-cows-milk

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

My vegan rice pud:
    (Serves 4-8 depending on greed)
    2 cups short grain pudding rice
    1.5 to 2 litres litre sweetened soy milk or almond milk
    I x can full-fat coconut cream (The thick white stuff including the clear liquid, use whole can)
    2-3 tblspns sugar (I use dark/brown or golden sugar)
    Teaspoon almond essence
    Teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    Pinch of nutmeg
    Pinch of cinnamon
    Pinch of allspice
    Pinch of salt
    Grated orange zest
    Handful sultanas

Mix all ingredients together in saucepan, cover, bring to gentle boil on stove top, stirring occasionally. Once boiling turn down heat then simmer for 40-45 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick and burn.

Optional extras:

– Add a cup of pumpkin puree while simmering and/or some yellow food colouring.

– Add a splash of whisky, brandy or rum.

May wish to add more or less liquid, fruit, sugar, spices etc… experiment until you get it exactly how you want it. Experimenting = more pud 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*Edit

1 x can of full-fat coconut cream milk

It just looks like hard cream.

Just aim for 1:4 (or even 1:5) rice:liquid ratio overall – and all should be good.

bob_summers

Thanks for that MR, I’m making that asap. Arroz con leche is a thing here and it just looks sad and crap. I’m not really a pudding person but I’ll be taking that round the inlaws on Christmas eve.

Not sure about these B12 refuseniks – I’ve never seen any science to the effect that it actually isn’t essential so I’ll play it safe for the sake of a 15€ jar of tablets (bought once or twice a year, does me and the boy)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

We use those ‘Nutritious Savoury yeast flakes’ to give cheesy/nutty taste to recipes that benefit. Called B12 flakes or something.

*edit:

Engevita (other brands available). I add a tblsp or 2 to mash in (say) a pie, or add to soups, casseroles etc. It just melts in so is super-versatile in most hot dishes, I find. As is yeast-extract for adding that ‘zing-thing’ that can sometimes lack in non-meat dishes. I find either the above flakes or extract (ie Marmite etc) coupled with Puy lentils and chopped mushrooms (cooked together in bouillon) to effectively replace any minced-meat craving I may have. Game-changer for me. Shepherds/cottage pies, chillis, bolognaise, keema curries etc etc. Hardly ever use soy-mince now.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not sure about these B12 refuseniks

CITE please

i think the view was it was added to everything so no need to worry not thst we dont need it.

rickonwheels
    Free Member

We definitely need B12 – it’s added to a lot of foods, including animal feed, and injected directly into farm animals, as they suffer from deficiency too, ironically!

This is a good article about where vegans can get B12 from

bob_summers

CITE please
    i think the view was it was added to everything so no need to worry not thst we dont need it.

I’m a B12 fence sitter, not trying to convince anyone either way. A mate (vegan) had bloods done for something else (tick bite I think) and he turned out to be deficient. The most vocal* of refuseniks, Durian Rider, who happily fed vegan forums with B12 conspiracy theories about 10 years ago is now, I note, taking intramuscular shots of the stuff.

*struggled to think of a diplomatic way of putting that

bob_summers

Back to scram, just about the first ‘vegan’ thing I learnt to make* was engevita on toast, mixed up with olive oil or vegan butter, spread on toast to bubble up under the grill for a few mins. Would’ve been about 1992 😳 – still get aid shipments of the stuff sent over from the UK today!

*not counting Beanfeasts 😳

nostoc
    Free Member

Bachelors Beanfeast is the first “vegan” thing that I can remember eating, must have been about 1980 (though I was far from vegan then) I can remember being surprised how tasty and filling it was.

I never use those yeast flakes because I spent so long working in a microbiology lab and the ever present smell of autoclaving malt/yeast extract agar together with that of all the crap that had accumulated in the bottom of the autoclave has put me off for life. Quite fine with marmite (Meridian version)though.

I started buying occasional jars of B12 tablets a few years ago after thirty years or so of veganism. If you eat enough fortified foods you will be fine but sometimes I go months with no soya milk/marmite. And B12 supplements are simply a fermentation product of bacteria – nothing wrong with that

binners

They had vegans in the 80’s?

Who knew?

dazh

Mrs Daz once went to a vegan fancy dress party in a home made engevita costume. I wasn’t there unfortunately, it was before my time and I was still gorging on doner kebabs.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bachelors Beanfeast

I had that once. I made a meal for my parents using it when home from Uni about 20 years ago. Gave everyone who partook chronic flatulence for a couple of days after. It’s still mentioned today!

padkinson
    Free Member

I’ve just gone dairy free this week, after reading up on the environmental impact of animal agriculture. Been veggie for about 12 years and don’t have much dairy so it’s not a big change, the only difficult thing is not grating cheese on everything.

Made a huge batch of dahl ready for freezing this evening, so I can dig it out and embellish with some veggies whenever.

scarlett
    Free Member

So the key thing is to find some veggie chicken that is firm and can be sliced thin like doner meat. I find the best stuff is something called ‘gourmet’s vegi chicken’ which can sometimes be found in chinese supermarkets. The only place I’ve found it is in W.H Lung’s in Manchester next to the University (it’s in a chicken shaped packet – honestly!). You do thin slices then marinate it with olive oil, pepper, a touch of cumin and oregano (think this is right, but it’s from memory so check on the internet, there’s plenty of recipes for the marinade). Then you grill it til it starts to go crispy at the edges. Serve with a naan and the usual salad and chilli sauce of choice and you have a fairly convincing Doner.

Cheers dazh – just had a bloody tasty fake chicken doner for dinner after reading this!
    Used the Linda McCartney chicken marinated in sriracha hot sauce in a pita with a homemade riata (took 5 min). Absolutely fabulous. Definitely a new vegan favourite.

chvck
    Free Member

I’m very tempted to try that fake doner. Just had a look at fake chicken and they all seem to be too high in saturated fat and salt for me. Anyone know of any low in these? I think I’m gonna be trying to make my own using https://www.exceedinglyvegan.com/vegan-recipes/mains/easy-vegan-chicken-fillets-mushroom-gravy-and-sweet-potato-m

rmacattack
    Free Member

rsl1
    Free Member

Within the last 6 months, 90% of my meals have become vegan. I have friends who struggle with the concept of eating “mostly vegan” but as I do it for environmental reasons, I find it easiest to compare to cycling to work – I do it most of the time but there’s some days where it’s just not convenient.

Re recipes, this is the tastiest thing I have made in years: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/recipe-black-bean-and-pecan-butter-sauce-over-grilled-eggplant-and-sauteed-spinach/

Also, this is an amazing seafood themed sandwich filler:
    Mayonnaise:
    Gradually blend 2dL of oil into 1dL soy milk with 1tbsp lemon juice and 1tsp mustard
    Filling:
    Mix mayo with standard sized packet of tofu, couple of teaspoons of chopped dill and a jar of seaweed pearls (may have to go to IKEA for these – I learnt the recipe in Sweden)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Today I really missed a bacon and egg sarnie. After last month’s attempt with those nasty-tasting floppy facon rashers I was not feeling confident but desperation gave way to crass ingenuity.

Grabbed an egg from our friend’s chickens (who are most evidently very happy and enjoying their freedom)

Fried one up with along with sliced tomato and mushrooms.

A handful of Lidl bacon rasher snacks (or any similar vegan Frazzle clones) added to pan for last few minutes of cooking.

Behold the cruelty-free legend that just passed my lips!

Daddies sauce completed it. I am sated. Just trying to hold off making another as is definitely unhealthy but bloody delicious. Seitan can wait…next time feeling naughty will also try that doner recipe.

Tonight am attempting cooking chickpea, butternut squash and wild mushroom morrocan tagine

Cougar

Leek & potato soup for me tonight. Can’t fault a classic.

(Not vegan as I use milk, but that could be easily substituted.)

smell_it
    Free Member

Despite not being vegan or even veggie, I ended up at BurgerLolz, and had a lovely all day breakfast hot dog with some sides, and thoroughly enjoyed it. So for those in Sheffield of a vegan leaning or not, great little place.

Drac

Poor chicken ovaries.

Looks good.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Still perfecting the chilli non-carne. Last night’s was ‘best yet’ so will dare to share!

Green Lentil Chilli non-Carne

Ingredients:

Two tblspns oil (I used rice bran oil)
    1 1/2 cups dried dark green lentils (small speckled ones). Note – no other lentils will do for this recipe. Small and firm is the key to texture here.
    3 x cups liquid stock/bouillon powder dissolved in hot water (see pack for quantities)
    Big teaspoon of Marmite/yeast extract
    2 x diced onions
    2 x diced bell peppers
    6 x chopped mushrooms
    3 x chopped garlic cloves
    1x tblspn tomato paste
    1x can red kidney beans (drained)
    1 x can of chopped toms (or 5 x large fresh toms) w/juice
    Handful of fresh oregano
    4 x teaspoons ground cumin
    3 x teaspoons smoked paprika
    Handful of dark chocolate or cocoa powder
    1/2 tblspn sugar, sweetener or honey.
    Hot chilli flakes/powder to taste (recommend 2 x level teaspoons, can always add more after cooking)
    2 x tblspns B12 Savoury Yeast Flakes
    Salt and pepper to taste

Method:

Add dried lentils to heavy pan
    Add liquid stock plus yeast extract/Marmite
    Bring to boil then simmer 25 mins/until most liquid is absorbed
    Meanwhile soften onions in oil in another pan
    Add peppers, mushrooms and garlic to onions and sauté for a few minutes stirring all of the time.
    Transfer onions/peppers/garlic to lentils
    Add all other ingredients *except for kidney beans and yeast flakes*. Stir well
    Cover and cook until lentils are slightly al-dente, not mushy and flat. Aim for ‘plump and perfect’. You’ll know if they’re too chewy so keep tasting until satisfied.
    Add kidney beans and savoury yeast flakes and stir in. Simmer for further 5-10 mins.

Serve with plain tortilla chips*, pickled jalapeños, any vegan dip. In place of sour-cream use vegan yoghurt or whipped coconut milk and spot of lime juice.

*Also great served on rice or jacket spuds.

Peyote
    Free Member

Poor chicken ovaries.

Are eggs their ovaries?

I thought an unfertilised ovum/womb lining etc. was the nearest equivalent of a chicken egg. So everytime I chow down on a fried egg sarnie, I’m eating chicken menstruation product…

…my (vegan, not strictly ethical) sister gleefully reminds me of this whenever I see her!

Still tastes good though, right up there with taramasalata!

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘It's World Vegan Day’ is closed to new replies.