Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • It's perverse and all you roadies are freaks
  • eth3er
    Free Member

Got on Jake the Snake today (granted it’s a crosser but let a man with a brush brush), black sleek looking thing, gorgeous in fact, so to fit in with all you freaks I left my baggy shorts off, I made it about 100 meters before going back home to dress properly and I’m a life model.
    Gets worse, I cant ride the damn thing, my hand hurts, my back hurts, my wallet hurts, my soul hurts and lordy the thing terrified me, goes down the hills so fast with brakes that change gear. Who does tha.., I mean why. Twangs and pings off the tiniest of road imperfections; my bones they are shaken and weep an aching chorus of please never again.
    This was to be my LeJoG bike too. I’m off to trawl the classifieds about a hybrid. You drophadlebared freaks.

khani
    Free Member

That’s just how I felt when I first got one 😆 it do’s get better
    Eventually…

flip
    Free Member

Stick with it you’ll be reet.

It’s actually a proper bike they have been around far longer than mtb.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

tweak some angles and stick at it, it almost becomes quite fun on a sunny day!

Jamie
    Free Member

I am about to enter this other world soon. Both excited and worried in equal measure ….need to buy some lycra shorts as well.

…..that an a roadie helmet so I don’t get bullied by other roadies 😉

eth3er
    Free Member

I’m three weeks away from the LeJoG, I don’t think I have enough time to get used to it.

_tom_
    Free Member

It only takes a couple of rides to get used to the positioning and the stiffness, then it’s great. I havent succumbed to wearing lycra though, and I don’t think I will in the forseeable future.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

I just ordered Lycra Bibs

crikey
    Free Member

There’s nothing quite so sad as a rufty tufty mountain biker on a road bike for the first time…

Lycra works. No one is looking at your willy, honestly.

It will make you a better all round rider, as long as you stop being such a blouse.

steve_b77
    Free Member

My mate has just picked up a proper road bike, spent all last summer ripping the mick out of me for being a Lyrca Clad roadie, first trip out he turned up in new lycra shorts he hee 8)

NikNak7890
    Free Member

😆

Just read that out to my wife, and her only reply was “yep, sounds about right!”

Jamie
    Free Member

On the subject of lycra, shorts or bib? Bearing in mind summer is on it’s way. Or does it not make a difference?

crikey
    Free Member

Bib.

Unless you’d like everyone to see your back fat.

wwaswas

I’ll give you a £1 for it.

hth.

Mister-P
    Free Member

You bought the bike you plan to ride the length of the country on 3 weeks before setting off?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Always bibs, they are just more comfortable.

crikey
    Free Member

Not just for smooth tarmac and sunny days either….

Jamie
    Free Member

Best and cheapest? Thinking DHB maybe?

Oh and sorry for thread hijack.

_tom_
    Free Member

I got some dhb padded undershorts. They’re really sweaty on a hot day which makes them less comfortable than regular boxers. Not tried their bibs though but they would solve the other problem I have with them, which is that the elasticated waistband seems to roll itself up which gets annoying.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Shutt VR are supposed to be very very good.

Just ordered a pair of Standard Bibs from them today…

Club10 in discount box for an extra 10%

ShuttVR

Amos
    Free Member

Crikey, crikey!
    That looks soul destroying!

crikey
    Free Member

Nope, character building for t’Tour of Flanders. Road bikes are essentially cross bikes with smooth tyres, which are essentially 29ers with skinny tyres and drop bars, so get on it!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

On the subject of lycra, shorts or bib? Bearing in mind summer is on it’s way. Or does it not make a difference?

Bibs all year round.

Baggy shorts on a road bike are plain wrong.

I found that my wrists hurt the first few rides, I think it was a combination of new position and gorilla grip, it went away after a few rides.

Peyote
    Free Member

I used to have a “proper” roadbike, but then I saw the light and got a Tourer!

If ever there is a cycling niche where you can wear what you want and not look nearly as bad as most other folk on similar bikes, it’s Touring bikes! No need to shave your legs, none of this exposed lycra nonsense, you can even have a full-on beard and wear a 20 year old CTC jersey and not be ostracised!

Jamie
    Free Member

I meant shorts as in lycra shorts. I am not foolish enough to even contemplate wearing baggies on a road bike…..oh the shame! 😉

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Jamie,

Sorry, I should have been clearer. That bit wasn’t aimed at you. The OP was seeming to prefer baggy shorts. 😐

edit: Did mean to say that bib shorts are so comfy on the bike but feel a bit odd when trying them on, plus they have the added benefit of being able to do old time wrestler impressions for the girlfriend before you hit the shower.

headfirst
    Free Member

bibshorts are best, then biblongs when its cold.

Tenn clothing has some good looking gear at v reasonable prices. My attention was drawn to them as they got a mention on last friday’s ‘fresh goods’ on the stw homepage. Not bought anything yet but about to buy some bibshorts for less than £20!

Someone will be along shortly to say ‘buy cheap buy twice’ etc but at that price you can buy 5 times and still be quids in!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

feel a bit odd when trying them on, plus they have the added benefit of being able to do old time wrestler impressions for the girlfriend

😆

Ea-sy! Ea-sy! Ea-sy!

chakaping
    Free Member

Had my first proper outing on my road bike this afternoon. Loved it.

Bit hairy at first – descents especially. It must be 23 years since I rode a drop handlebar bike. But it all came back to me after a while. It’s just like riding a bike really.

Covered so much ground so quickly. must have ridden about four times as far as I expected to.

🙂

DezB
    Free Member

How I love to be wrong. With my baggies, mtb shoes and back pack. Won’t catch me looking like a roadie 😛

RealMan
    Free Member

With my baggies, mtb shoes and back pack. Won’t catch me looking like a roadie

On a road bike? No, you must look like a confused triathlete.

😀

Kuco

Give it a while and you see how fast you can get down the hills, 50mph+ does get you thinking of raspberry pie on the next climb if you have came off 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

How I love to be wrong. With my baggies, mtb shoes and back pack.

This is how I ride my road bike every day, backpack if I’m riding to work and a hoody if it’s cold 🙂 Some of the other roadies say hello to me still! Don’t really get why people on forums say you need to be wearing lycra, baggies aren’t even uncomfortable.

anto164
    Free Member

i also wear baggies when on the roady, but that’s when going to work and back.

Out on the weekend, and the lycra comes out. (Unless i;m on the mtb!)

Jamie
    Free Member

With my baggies, mtb shoes and back pack. Won’t catch me looking like a roadie

For the first month or so I will be likewise. Am putting all my cash to get the best bike, pedals and roadie shoes I can. Everything else will have to follow next pay.

Maybe we can start a niche gang?

Mister-P
    Free Member

You would struggle to be niche, there are plenty of “rebels” on here wearing MTB kit on road bikes. Still doesn’t make it right though.

DezB
    Free Member

Nothing to do with being rebellious – just don’t think I’d get away with walking through the office in lycra shorts.
    I already get wolf whistles… (From the blokes, unfortunately)

eth3er
    Free Member

I take it back, well most of it anyway. Dear bloody jesus it’s fast, which is hilariously negated by the terrible brakes, I have to learn to use them. Is there a secret on how these things work? praying and closing my eyes isn’t working.

monkeychild
    Free Member

If your wrists bother you, try turning the levers in so your hands lie in a more natural position.

eth3er
    Free Member

Thank you will try that later.
    Lycra is still perverse though. Very perverse.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘It's perverse and all you roadies are freaks’ is closed to new replies.