Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 205 total)
  • It’s Grand Tour Season! Giro d’Italia thread
  • nbt

Well hasn’t the year just flown by? An active start in the antipodes featured a GC win for welsh wonder Stevie Williams in the Tour Down Under, and then the classics season – oh the classics season! Pog has basically decided he’s only going to bother racing when he’s got a goood chance of winning, and to be fair he’s more or less won every time he;s turned up.

what that means for the giro is that it’s likely tobe a race for 2nd place, unless he collapses spectacularly? But this time he’s not racing Jonas so he won’t be pushed to (and beyond) his limits. Then again, I was recently reminded that it’s over 2 years since Pog took a grand tour GC win…

Inrng guide to the giro: https://inrng.com/giro/

and the CyclingNews version: https://www.cyclingnews.com/giro-d-italia/

Velogames is up and running as usual, and as always I’ve created a league for us

https://www.velogames.com/

League ID: 347313627

https://www.velogames.com/italy/2024/leaguescores.php?league=347313627

So who are you supporting? Do you think G has one more win in him?…

Found any other guides worth a read? Picked a team> Have you included people you like, people you know, people you would like to see win,or people you think WILL win?

Coverage on Discovery+ / Eurosport

IdleJon

I said to a cycling colleague not five minutes ago that it can’t be time for the Giro because I associate that with the start of the summer, and we are very much still in winter temperatures here and haven’t yet had a sign of spring. (Trees and birds notwithstanding! ) My heating was on for two hours last night and the house was still cold.

Anyway, the Giro…

😀

stanley

Hey Oop,

I’ve never really watched the racing before, but I’ve got right in to it this year. Mrs.S has too.

Thanks for posting that info. I might even try to go and watch a couple of GT stages; maybe do a few of the famous climbs 👍

Cheers

stevious

Here’s my top tip. One to look out for, who might just go well:

Tadej Pogačar

crazy-legs

Looking forward to this.

In recent years the Giro seemed to be trying to shoehorn in as much climbing as possible so it’s nice to see a calmer version. Got a bit of strada bianche gravel in there, a visit to Pompeii and I’m looking forward to the stages to and from Livigno as I’ve ridden round there a couple of times, including Stelvio.

scaredypants

Pog should stroll the Giro and then be able to hit full form for the TdF – who knows how JV will be going by then

llama

It’s the who will be second edition!

It’s not impossible but he does seem to sometimes have a bad day and can break (see ving+rog in what tdf was it, 22?)

Not sure about G being the 2nd favorite, not looked so sprightly so far this year, maybe he’s been pacing it, it would be amazing.

ayjaydoubleyou

I said to a cycling colleague not five minutes ago that it can’t be time for the Giro because I associate that with the start of the summer, and we are very much still in winter temperatures here and haven’t yet had a sign of spring.

Is it really a Giro unless at least one stage is cancelled/neutralised, rerouted, or just a complete mystery to the audience for most of its length because the helicopters can’t fly?

anagallis_arvensis

I’ll be surprised if Vingagoagoagoago even rides le tour.

If Pog doesn’t fall off he should stroll the giro

crazy-legs

If Pog doesn’t fall off he should stroll the giro

True but people have said that about Grand Tours (and plenty of other races) in the past…

I hope it’s more than just the Pogacar Show. It could be quite dull if he’s just prancing up mountains leaving everyone in his wake.

alpin
    Free Member

Giro because I associate that with the start of the summer, and we are very much still in winter temperatures here and haven’t yet had a sign of spring.

Currently in Umbria, sitting outside in the shade in just my keks hiding from the sun.

Going to watch stages 6,7 and 8 as they’re kinda close to where we’re currently hanging around…. After stage 8 we want to play in the Sibillini mountains for a week or two.

MadBillMcMad

The giro is on S4C apparently, and S4c is on the iplayer.

Does that mean that us englanders can watch it on the iplayer?

t3ap0t
    Free Member

I’m not necessarily opposed to them dropping a lot of the crazily attritional 220km with 5500m climbing stages, but it seems like they have replaced them all with sprint stages. There’s really not much in the way of rolling/medium mountain stages that would have been Thomas De Gendt targets in his pomp.

Thomas seems pretty capable of turning up to a grand tour having shown very little form and then being able to ride into form over week 1. I expect he’ll lose a bit of time on Oropa and then outlast most other contenders.

Who else is there? Ben O’Connor looks in good shape if not inconsistent in 1 week stage races so far. Lutsenko looks alright, Bardet I kind of fancy to podium. Bora I have no idea who they will end up riding for out of Martinez/Schachmann/Lipowitz. Alaphillipe, Carthy, Woods I just can’t see beating Thomas.

BadlyWiredDog

I hope it’s more than just the Pogacar Show. It could be quite dull if he’s just prancing up mountains leaving everyone in his wake.

Well, you just never know. Remember the plague year one where G crashed on a bidon before the stage had even properly started and Tao ended up winning the thing. One crash. A bad day. A bug. I’m hoping for random and unpredictable and maybe a winner who no-one’s even considered. Arensman maybe…

anagallis_arvensis

I expect so, or go to s4c and watch. It’ll be in wobble though!

nbt

Yes, but commentary will be in welsh.

FuzzyWuzzy

Hard to see past Pog to win it (comfortably) unless he crashes badly. I’m hoping Gee can be competitive but sadly I think the reality is he’ll go out the back on the first big mountain test

vlad_the_invader

Yes, but commentary will be in welsh.

Will there be sub-titles ????

alpin
    Free Member

Are there more detailed route maps available other than the not very detailed maps on the Giro website?

Struggling to work out which Strada Bianche they’re using…. Have located the last of the gravel road sections but not quite sure on the first two.

(stage 6, BTW)

johnners
    Free Member

Go mad and treat yourself to a month’s Discovery+ for £6.99. I usually splash out for both the Giro and the Vuelta but then I’m just downright irresponsible with money.

crazy-legs

Are there more detailed route maps available other than the not very detailed maps on the Giro website?

Go to the list of Stages, click on the -> button on the right and it opens up a page of that stage with further maps, climb profiles, timings etc. Here’s Stage 6:

https://www.giroditalia.it/en/tappe/stage-6-of-the-giro-ditalia-2024-torre-del-lago-puccini-viareggio-rapolano-terme/

alpin
    Free Member

Go to the list of Stages,

Yup… That’s the page and map I was referring to. Not quite sure which roads they’re including. The area is riddled with gravel tracks.

Was hoping there might be a more detailed map available.

crazy-legs

Yes, but commentary will be in welsh

Which is probably more understandable than commentary in ‘Sean Kelly’ on EuroSport!

anagallis_arvensis

Will there be sub-titles ????

I watch a lot of rugby on s4c and the subtitles are usually very slow and very shit. Don’t normally bother.

Bazz

As always thanks @nbt for setting up the Velo games league, looking forward to this.

slowoldman

The Itinerary Timetable for each stage is helpful in working out the route in better detail than the map alone shows.

I’ve also eventually found the “Garibaldi” (roadbook) for this year’ s race which gives a good overview of all stages, maps, profiles, timetables, start and finish venues, etc.

Go to https://cyclinside.it/il-garibaldi-del-giro-ditalia-2024/ and click on the link for “Garibaldi 2024” or this link will take you straight there.

beej

I don’t think Thomas looked great in the Tour of the Alps, but looking at the startlist the GC contenders are mainly second tier anyway. Ben O’Connor, Dani Martinez, Antonio Tiberi to compete for top 5.

Pog for the win, obviously.

alpin
    Free Member

@bunnyhop

Nice one, cheers!

NJA

I’m in, only 9 in the STW league so far though. At least I am guaranteed a top 10 finish.

fazzini

@nbt cheers for setting this up again. I look forward to these threads every year 🙂

IdleJon

Thomas seems pretty capable of turning up to a grand tour having shown very little form and then being able to ride into form over week 1.

Before finding a lamppost to throw himself at in the second week.

chickenman

Highlights on Freeview; DMax channel 39.

Ewan
    Free Member

I normally watch the giro on GCN. Obviously that’s died on it’s arse – what is the equivlent? Normally I just watch the extended highlights each day – is that discovery plus?

crazy-legs

If anyone wants some racing to watch while waiting for the Giro, the Vuelta Feminina is on at the moment.
    Vos got a great sprint win yesterday.

nbt

I normally watch the giro on GCN. Obviously that’s died on it’s arse – what is the equivlent? Normally I just watch the extended highlights each day – is that discovery plus?

Yes, or as above the highlights programme will be on DMax

Discovery+ have a nifty feature on the bigger races if you rewatch the whole race – they add timeline markers at key events like interviews, cols, crashed and attacks so you can jump to something interesting. I think it’s only on TV apps, though, not mobile apps / web interface

slowoldman

I normally watch the giro on GCN. Obviously that’s died on it’s arse – what is the equivlent?

I’m on Eurosport which does what GCN+ did. All part of the Warner Bros/Discovery+ family.

molgrips
    Free Member

A lot of sporting events on S4C have alternative audio. Not sure about cycling tho.

Bunnyhop

Team Amaretti is in.

slowoldman

In recent years the Giro seemed to be trying to shoehorn in as much climbing as possible so it’s nice to see a calmer version.

It’s getting moderately climby quite early on this year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 205 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM