Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • "It climbs great with the fork at 100mm and descends great wound out to 150mm"
  • poppa
    Free Member

I can’t avoid sounding like a troll here, but…

I read this a lot. Are people seriously stopping to wind their forks in/out every time they encounter an incline? Or are we only talking about long descents/ascents here?

Junkyard
    Free Member

TALAS or the Bombers version innit
    CLick compress done only rockshox have the uturn

JonR
    Free Member

Yes.

Hope that helps.

toys19
    Free Member

my mate has a pro pedal shock and stops every 3 mins to change it from up to down. Needs a remote lever. Although I stop pretty often to adjust my saddle.

wwaswas

I’ve got a Pace RC41 with launch control – just slap it down at the bottom of a climb and it does the rest.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I’ve got some Durin Marathons which have 40mm of travel adjust via a remote lever, so no need to stop! 80-120mm range though rather than 150mm.

richmtb

I’ve perfected the art of adjusting U-turn while riding

Militant_biker

Can I mention Bionicon?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I put on my lock out for climbs then forget about it until the bottom of the next descent. I’m spending today looking at carbon rigid forks.

z1ppy

Yep I happily wind my U-turn’s down (whilst riding, there no need to stop), on all three sets I’ve had (two still on bikes), and even used to use the ETA on my bombers. Then when I get to the top, whilst getting my breath back I unwind them.. simples

stumpy01

Used to use the U-Turn on the Reba’s fitted to my old bike as it made a massive difference to the feel of the bike on steep, long climbs.

Hardly used the TALAS on my 2010 Stumpy as the geometry doesn’t really require it.
    I used it in Spain a few times earlier this year on long climbs but more because I had it, than I really needed it.

wwaswas

I did find I used to forget with the ETA on my bombers. It was one reason the launch control appealed – it switches itself off when you hit a bigish bump.

mikey74
    Free Member

I read this a lot. Are people seriously stopping to wind their forks in/out every time they encounter an incline? Or are we only talking about long descents/ascents here?

No, not at [every] incline: Only ones that are particularly long and steep.

Generally though: I tend to ride my Lyriks at 160mm the vast majority of the time.

krag
    Free Member

I can never be arsed adjusting the uturn on my pikes or domains.

My 150mm bombers don’t have any uturn type shizzle and can’t say I miss it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have u turn forks on my bike ( got because I wanted to put long forks on a frame not designed for them and wanted to try out different lengths)

I find I almost never remember in time to wind them out for descents and if I do I forget to wind ’em back for climbs – so they are at the wrong travel half the time at least

I have more or less decided to leave them at 105mm where the climbing and handling is OK and forgo the extra travel on the DHs.

tragically1969
    Free Member

I do with the Revs on my Soul, leave them at 110mm most of the time, wind them out to 140mm when going down anything thats longe\rocky\steep enough to need it, handles great at 140mm down this sort of stuff so its worth 30 seconds of winding.

poppa
    Free Member

Hmm, I guess that makes me a luddite then! I must admit, when posting I was thinking primarily of the Rockshox U-turn system, which is about the slowest to adjust.

Personally, when I get to the top of a climb I just want to keep on going. So any travel adjust requiring me to stop is probably out of the question.

I did have U-turn on my old forks, but found that I just left it at the sweet spot the whole time.

In fact, I have an aversion to stopping in general. And i’m probably also influenced by the weekly group rides, when there’s no time to do stop/adjust your fork either.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I have a Bionicon Golden Willow and I adjust it all the time.
    Pressing the button and tightening the angles up for up hills makes a fair difference. It’s like having an extra range of gears.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m spending today looking at carbon rigid forks.

On a Yeti? 😯

Vanillas here. Used to have Pace Launch Control gubbins, but the 575 doesn’t need it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

DezB I don’t have a yeti!…I’m building up a race ready giant xtc.

On my trail FS I have Pikes that are set at 135mm all the time, u-turn is probably stuck tbh. If I use the pop-loc I forget about it, most of the time I seem to be quicker with them rigid 8)

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’ve got Lyriks with all sorts of controls and a rear with pro-pedal and never touch either on a ride.

If I did, I’d invariably have them in the “up” setting when going down and the “down” setting when going up.

Mind you, I leave my seatpost in the same place all the time too. 8)

Keva
    Free Member

Yeti… I run RC31s on my XTC… ’tis faaaast

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think alot of people on here need to either buy a fork suitable for their frame, or learn how to ride with the right technique.

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve got 130mm U-turn Revs on one of my bikes… only bother to wind them in for really steep granny forcing gear climbs. Don’t have to stop to make the adjustment it’s quite managable whilst riding along.

Kev

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Keva – Member
    Yeti… I run RC31s on my XTC… ’tis faaaast

Cheers Kev, my only concern is that I’m building up the same size frame as you ride, although I’m 5″ taller…. at least it’ll be light!

grievoustim
    Free Member

I have Uturn Pikes on my hecker – I only use it if the climb is proper steep

cpon
    Free Member

A few years back I had a Marin Rock Springs, the one with 4-6mm quick release adjustable rear set-up.

It was brilliant for the first couple of rides, then the novelty wore of and the lever never moved again.

Keva
    Free Member

Yeti.. I bought mine from a mate who’s about 5’7″/8″. you should be alright, just !

DezB
    Free Member

DezB I don’t have a yeti!

WHAT? A Skoda then?!

catfood
    Free Member

I used to wind them down all the time but I bought a car with a bigger boot so no need any more.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

First time externally adjustible travel forks became availible, a bunch of us got them and we stopped to wind them up or down pretty much everywhere … for the first few rides, then we all pretty much left them at full extension and got on with our lives.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

DezB I do have a skoda. It’s a dream to drive, but I can’t adjust its suspension settings 🙁

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’ve got 66’s which take about 15 turns to wind down, it all depends where I’m riding, if there’s a load of climbing then I’ll turn them down, similarly if there’s a lot of downs I’d have them wound out, if its a lot of undulation I tend to leave them where ever they are (usually around full travel, but I run them with 30% sag anyway)

soobalias
    Free Member

fit and forget, its the way forward.

takisawa2

Went through a phase of adjusting forks but soon grew tired of it. Use the lockout on my Revs a lot, & the Pro-Pedal on the shock.

I must learn to ride with the correct technique though.

superfli
    Free Member

Waste of time IMO. I’d never pay extra for adjustment on a ride. The only time I use the fork lockout or pro pedal on the rear is riding to work on road. Technique whilst off road prevents most bobbing, and weight transfer whilst seated enables you to climb

Northwind

Not all the time but for steep stuff I do. It depends on the bike but it means not settling for a compromise, my Hemlock’ll climb fine at full length but it’ll climb better at 120mm so why not? The Mmmbop’s the same, with a short stem on it’s slightly wandery on the ups at 140mm so it’s either a longer stem which’ll impair the descending, or an adjustable fork.

It’s not like it’s any bother at all to adjust, even with uturn it takes a few seconds and you can do it on the move.

messiah
    Free Member

Had Marzocchi with eta, Sherman with travel adjust and u-turn pikes… but the best forks I have used are Floats… no travel adjustment is the best.

My experience. Great idea on paper and might work for steep flat climbs but add in rocks and waterbars and its pedal strikes ahoy. Add in forgetting to turn it off or catching the eta or lock out lever on undergrowth… lots of swaeing.. so for me less is certainly more when it comes to this stuff. Fit and forget is the best.

_tom_
    Free Member

I used to wind my pikes in to 110mm for climbing and general singletrack, then wind out to 140mm for descending. I thought that 110mm made it easier to climb but I recently did a few loops of the lower cliff climb/descent at cannock and coming to it from Stile Cop, my fork was already wound out to the full length without me realising to put it in “climb mode”. I managed to clear the whole climb (never managed it all the way before) and effortlessly went round the switchbacks. On the second attempt I put my forks in to 110 and couldn’t get round the switchbacks which ruined my “flow”. So now they’re just at 140 all the time.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

We don’t have any climbs that are both steep and long in this country.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘"It climbs great with the fork at 100mm and descends great wound out to 150mm"’ is closed to new replies.