Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Is your Camelbak big enough for the commute?
  • ti_pin_man
    Free Member

As a mountain biker my Camelbak is pretty much always with me now when I bike, certainly on most commutes and often on a road ride. It’s comfortable and now I barely feel its even there (mule). The only issue I have is some days it’s just not quite big enough … Sometimes I need to ferry a pair of shoes, clean towel, books and occasionally a laptop.

But that means a bigger pack or panniers or courier messenger bag .. None of which I like! Fussy bugger that I am. Am I alone in resenting swapping all my bike stuff into yet another bag ? Often I am transporting this extra kit just one way on the commute so the return journey leaves the bigger bag flapping all over. I want to ride light.

Maybe grumpy old man syndrome is here! Is it me? 😉

jeb

Look at the dakine range, like the nomad, they make nice bags 🙂

jamesco

I have an old Camelbak HAWG do they still make that ? It expands like a tardis yet straps back down really small for diddy loads.

slugwash
    Free Member

Is this one for £17.97 big enough?

Cheap 18L Camelbak from Gooutdoors

(Must be collected from one of their stores and the nearest one to me with one in stock is Oxford and I live in Devon 🙁 )

Wookster

H.A.W.G is want mate it’s huge but packs down with the straps very good bit of kit.

matt_outandabout

Really old Vaude here – @ 18lt, simple, comfy, stays put, lime green and reflective panels 🙂

hs125
    Free Member

I used a Mule for years, as anything bigger led to back ache, and if something didn’t fit in, I didn’t take it. This winter I fitted a pannier rack and bag. it may not look good, but it is practical, shoes etc are no longer an issue, and no more sweaty back or squashed bananas.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I use a 25 l berghous rucksac on my commute. However I don’t carry

all my bike stuff

Puncture proof tyres means no need to carry any repair kit. No tube / pump or tools.

simondbarnes

Same as hs125 for me

trailmonkey

a hawg carries most stuff most days but if i’ve got to take in lots of bulky stuff like a clean towel/hoody etc, i’ll blag my sons rucksack for the day.

simondbarnes

Puncture proof tyres means no need to carry any repair kit

Does such a thing exist?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yup – pretty much. conti ones even on glass strewn city streets are pretty good – I run sport contacts, Mrs TJ runs travel contacts. Been a long time since either of us got a puncture. A sliver of glass will eventually work its way thru so you need to check the tyres every week or two.

I certainly have given up carrying any puncture kit – If I do get one I’ll just get a taxi but it hasn’t happened yet. Mrs TJ did get one a couple of years ago from a sliver of glass

spooky_b329

Keep the smaller bag, and add a pannier to the commuter. I assume you only need the storage for commutes and not roadie rides.

hock

I was amazed to see their range of non-bike specific stuff, e.g. military-tactical.
    This one is probably OTT but still impressive: Urban Assault XL

Hydration Capacity: 70 oz (2 L), Cargo Volume: 2258 cu in (37 L)
    “(…)5mm EVA foam padded laptop compartment (…) Enough internal volume for a quick overnight trip or taking work to and from the office.”
    Strange enough they offer a full range of gloves for the military side of things but not for cyclists. Though some of them could work for non-armed cyclists, too: Hi-Tech Impact II CT…

“The perfect blend of finger control and flexible accordion knuckle protection keeps you ready for action at any range. Applications: Mechanic’s work, shooting, using weapons or driving in rough conditions.”

therag
    Free Member

Vary rare I need to carry extra stuff but when I do, I put my small camel pack in a large rucksack with the tools i need to carry

stumpy01

I’ve got a Vaude Splash Air 20+5 which I use when commuting. It’s pretty big and has an expandable section (hence the +5) that you can easily close off if you don’t need all that volume on the way back. Comes with a sleeve for a hydration bladder and has a waterproof cover (that u can unclip if you know you won’t need it. It’s also got a suspended back system thing that keeps most of the pack off your back to help avoid sweaty back syndrome.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Don’t want panniers thanks but no thanks. And didn’t really want to be buying another Camelbak. Maybe when the mule goes but that will be a couple of years away. See I am a grumpy old git. I think the solution is an expansion pack that can go over my Camelbak to expand the luggage space but then roles up to go inside the mule on my way home. Time to get one made! 😉

Clover

I have a hand me down Mission Workshop rucksack. Moving stuff between bags is a pain but it is super waterproof and sixty miles a week in Calderdale is a guaranteed soaking at least once or twice a week and I have a lot of work stuff which will not tolerate damp wet or muddiness. It’s 25l but extendable to 65 so I do the shopping on the way home from work with it too.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Water proof would help and a bit of night reflectivity too for the 30 miles each day OR hi viz.

Clover

http://www.respro.com/products/urban-commuting/cycling/hiviz_hump/
    ^there’s always this

The Mission Workshop bag is waterproof zipped and has a roll top which has not let anything in. It’s been pretty bomb proof – never shown any signs of leaking from the underneath either and no damage from the occasional off when off-road commuting. Just checked and they seem to be not inexpensive but thinking on, I am saving car costs so having decent equipment is worth it. I have never had a bag that doesn’t leak before!

elzorillo
    Free Member

I use a dakine for commute and a Camelbak four seasons for general biking.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

The respro is a hi viz cover, cool idea to be seen.

I want one bag that does it all.

It doesn’t exist.

shindiggy
    Free Member

I’ve picked up two punctures in 6 months using Conti Travel contacts 🙁

Both glass related.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use an old Mule. Its small but I only carry lunch, tools, spare kit in winter (waterproof gloves/cap) and a shirt occasionally. I don’t commute every day so I usually take clean clothes/towel/etc when I drive in.

The only thing I don’t like about it is the fact that its not waterproof. A bag the same size but waterproof would be ideal. I could get a cover but that would hide the light on the light loop.

alpin
    Free Member

i’ve got the old HAWG NV. better, IMO, than the new HAWG. the new one doesn’t let you carry a full face helmet.

i’ve ridden many a transalp with the HAWG – assisted and solo.

decnt pack that has done me well over three seasons guiding. it is showing signs of wear now, but it’s taken a beating in that time.

Sandwich

Schwalbe Marathon plus also succumb to glass or flint shards eventually.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Is your Camelbak big enough for the commute?’ is closed to new replies.