Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Is this dress white/gold or black/blue?
  • peterfile
    Free Member

I see white and gold!

Pretty interesting explanation…

Independent

Vice

scotroutes

White/Gold

Here’s another photo of the same dress though

bikebouy
    Free Member

White/gold.

What you doing in my wardrobe ??? 😯

Cougar

Eh?

Gold and white, clearly. How strange.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I see it as blue and gold so I think I’m on my own.

geoffj

I see it as blue and gold so I think I’m on my own.

Me too, but my colour vision is borked in one of my eyes.

spacehopper

i see it as blue and gold too..

however… as i scroll down the page so that only the bottom half of the image of the dress is showing in the browser… it turns blue and black…!!

BoardinBob

White and gold. Depending on what you’re looking at it on, pc/ tablet etc, the white bits can have a fairly bluish tint.

That other blatantly blue and black dress is the same style but clearly completely different from the first one.

beej

I can see both, but my brain eventually resolves on blue and black (which is the real colour of the dress, you can buy it online).

scotroutes

The problem with looking at it on a LCD screen is that you can vary the colour by moving your head from side to side/top to bottom.

beej

That other blatantly blue and black dress is the same style but clearly completely different from the first one.

It’s a photo of the same person at the same event.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/weird-news/what-colour-is-the-dress-white-and-gold-or-blue-and-black-an-eyewitness-gives-a-definitive-answer-10074553.html

Junkyard
    Free Member

Wow i say white and gold but if I look at the blue one and scroll up it is Blue and then flips to white/gold

mikewsmith
    Free Member

blue/lilac and gold?

molgrips
    Free Member

Someone use the dropper tool on photoshop to find out what the colour really is?

mintimperial

Blue/black.

White/gold people, your eyes are all ****, you should stop staring at screens and get outside more. 😉

somouk
    Free Member

I see blue and gold on your pics but white and gold on all the pics on social media.

sandwicheater

Blue and Brown.

Rockplough
    Free Member

I think what you have is the camera freaking out and over-exposing because of the brightness outside, and the internal shop lighting probably being fluorescent, hence the blue tint.

I see it as gold and lilac, which technically is correct going by my colour picker.

Mr_C
    Free Member

It’s Blue and Black/Dark Brown

RGB levels for a random point in the blue bit are 124 138 183

Which is this:

Does anyone see this as white?

everyone
    Free Member

That’s weird it was white and gold this morning but now its blue and black. Saw it on my phone both times.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Whut?

Is this some sort of in-joke? It’s clearly blue and black with possibly looking more gold than black at the top of the first image.

mintimperial

This image might help explain how it can look different to different people. All that’s changed between the two versions is the exposure (brightness).

Mr_C
    Free Member

This image might help explain how it can look different to different people. All that’s changed between the two versions is the exposure (brightness).

So some people have over exposed eyes. Makes sense now.

BoardinBob

Yes, surely the issue here is more how the picture was taken and what it’s displayed on?

If we all saw it in the flesh we’d all agree (apart from the colour blind)

peterfile
    Free Member

Cougar

debaser

White and gold for me.

It’s quite an interesting and strongly divisive metamerism effect.

Still divides opinion when viewed on the same device from exactly the same viewing angle 😀

peterfile
    Free Member

This is cool.

annebr
    Free Member

wwaswas

“Make sure you don’t pull that black and blue cloak too hard, the gold and white one needs a good tug to get it off though”

molgrips
    Free Member

Does anyone see this as white?

That’s interesting. I see the dress in the photo as a sort of ivory, moving to very pale blue if I only view the bottom of the image. The other photo looks dark blue and I was shocked to see it so dark.

However the colour square Mr C posted is pretty much half way between the two colours!

The issue is certainly with the crappy phone camera picture as it was taken – but regardless, after it’s been taken we are all looking at the same pixels (the effect is independent of screen quality/calibration it seems).

It’s something about the configuration of the other pixels in the image that makes our brains interpret the light blue of Mr C’s square as either dark blue or white. Fascinating.

Are the highlights simply badly clipped in the picture?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Crap camera / photo not showing colours correctly?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes but the point is how we see the exact same image very differently.

Pook

Just looks like someone hasn’t done a white balance to me.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think you are missing the point.

bigblackshed

Two crap photos of the same thing. One on a shit phone camera and the other massively over exposed.

* And that’s from someone with pretty poor colour blindness.

Pook

me missing the point?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes. Regardless of why the image looks weird, the issue is that different people perceive it differently even though we are looking at the exact same thing.

Some people see it as royal blue and black, some as white and gold – which is a huge variation.

Pook

I see it as pale blue and very mucky gold if I’m honest. I correct it myself to know that it’s white thanks to bad white balance.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes but the point is how we see the exact same image very differently.

Yes, some people see it as blue and black (correctly), and some people have broken eyes.

I’ve tried on a bunch of different screens, under different lighting, after looking at different colours, and there’s no way I can see anything other than blue and black.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Is this dress white/gold or black/blue?’ is closed to new replies.