Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Is 'The New Forum' here?
  • zokes
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator – Block User – Quote
    p.s I do wish we could swear like grownups schoolchildren.
    FTFY.

Jus’ sayin’…..

Cougar

Still haven’t learnt to post pictures, mainly as I don’t want yet another thing to log into…

Imgur, you can upload anonymously and then right-click / copy image link.

Northwind

I’m massively suspicious of imgur, it’s too easy and The Kids use it, it’s obviously a scam

twistedpencil

Thanks Northwind, I nearly tried that option but now I’m profoundly fearful of that site.

I am becoming my parents.

I’ll be getting my lad to teach me next…

redthunder
    Free Member

As this forum seems to be BBPress….

Some other forum examples.

Examples

An avatar option would be nice :)…… runs away.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    It is pretty dreadful, I avoid it if I can.

Even worse on iPad Pro- zero zoom options and ridiculously small text

Drac

Works fine on my iPad pro?

Cougar

An avatar option would be nice :)…… runs away.

I’d quite like that, TBH. It’d help my Aspie brain keep track of who’s who.

funkmasterp

I only really use the mobile version and it seems to work fine. When I occasionally use the desktop version I get frightened by all the the space and pictures 🙁

redthunder
    Free Member

@cougar

Ditto. It is easier to whizz down through a thread and use avatars.

Here is a bbpress forum with everthing ticked… shame about the black
    background and loads of forums.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/forums/

But shows what the software can do.

mattyfez

It’s pretty good on mobile as far as forums go.

My only real complaint is the perpetual ‘singletrack’ header.

To the casual observation it looks like your browsing a dating site for loners.

leffeboy

The two clicks to get to the last post thing on mobile. Quite insane. I would much rather have two clicks to get to the first post of a long thread as by the time you get to that stage you are guaranteed to have seen the first post

richmtb

Why would you need a mobile mode anyway, I thought everyone just surfs STW at work?

Everyone has to go for a shit sometimes?

Anyway, I don’t really have an issue with the forum. Chat and Bikes nice and simple.

The classifieds are a bit of a mess, whenever I venture on there I just run away and look on ebay instead but then the banter is shite over on that bit of the forum anyway

Edukator
    Free Member

Two glitiches which the management will be delighted to hear are reducing the time I spend on STW while using my pc:

When I try to post a URL Firefox crashes when I try to enter text for the url. When I return I have to log back in.

If I use STW I then have to clear my cookies before using my Internet banking site becuase the site (lcl particuliers) hangs if I don’t. Youtube also loses its sound randomly when using STW.

As I check out STW while doing other things it’s problematic as using STW stops me doing those other things.

I usually

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think we’ve done the log in/out shake it all about, do the hokey kokey, put your left leg in, your right brain out .. t’ death.

We just have to accept it happens, and it takes seconds to log back in again.

Unless yow is banned, innit.

Cougar

Two glitiches

The Firefox crash I’ve never heard mentioned before. The obvious answer is “use Chrome” but if you send me the steps required to cause the issue I’ll see if I can replicate it.

The logging in is a broader discussion and not one I’m embarking on at 11pm.

The banking thing… I can’t see how that can possibly be related to STW cookies, cookies by definition are site-specific.

Youtube, are you talking about YT embedded videos on STW, or something else?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Agreed. And if there’s been a few images posted you can be scrolling for weeks just to get to the next post

….by which time you’d be logged out again.

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s the need to clear cookies that’s a pain becuase I then have to reenter all the passwords on banking and e-mail sites so it’s not just a few seconds.

bruneep

I take it you’ve not seen the long cat image then?

Cougar

If what you’re describing is what’s actually happening, that STW cookies are causing problems with your banking’s cookies, then that’s a massive security flaw in your browser and I’d be looking to replace it immediately.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

The link to the login box hugely improved things, but so did using the software which must not be named…

No other forum has made this necessary in the past for me.

So I think

I do idly wonder whether there’s a kind of catch-22 going on here. People cancel their subs and / or use ad-blockers because they believe the site has issues, the net result is that there’s less revenue to pay for development and a greater need for more adverts.

was putting the cart before the horse. The site had huge regular issues which did not always seem to be taken seriously, And the management attitude towards us sheep was one of the things that made be hand in my P.

Cougar

So I’m clear, what are you referring to by “management” here? Moderators or the site owners or something else? (Not being hostile, just working out whether I’m qualified to answer or not.)

Edukator
    Free Member

Obvious solution adopted, Cougar. An Edge window for STW and everything else on Firefox. So far so good.

oikeith

Why would you need a mobile mode anyway, I thought everyone just surfs STW at work?

^ This, I didnt even know there was a mobile option!

The list of nice to haves I saw on the previous page are actually awful in use, I signed up to MTBR to lurk one of the threads, its a horrible horrible place. I really like the clean look of this forum and that the quote function is tough to use!

Jamie
    Free Member

The list of nice to haves I saw on the previous page are actually awful in use

Such as?

dragon
    Free Member

All this stuff about it being hard to get the new forum to work with the resources is just a red herring. End of the day it’s a business decision to use the resources for Grit.cx and it’s utterly dead site/forum rather than prioritize STW.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

cougar not you or the mods. You do a fine and difficult job.

CountZero

^ This, I didnt even know there was a mobile option!

Neither did I! Or I did, once upon a distant time and forgotten, which is highly likely, TBH.
    Now I’ve got a new iPad, I’ve got zoom functionality back, which I’d lost on the old one, I think because I couldn’t run iOS 10 on the poor geriatric thing.
    I really would like a ‘like’ button!
    Other than that, as you were, carry on. 😀

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Is 'The New Forum' here?’ is closed to new replies.