Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • Is Strava always like this?
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Been using Strava on my rides for a few weeks, found it interesting as a lot of my loops have segments i never knew existed until the end , interesting to see stats locally etc. Quite like useing it so far.

Anyhow, i got a KOM on a loop i did yesterday on a small climb segment that a local rider set, didnt realise it was there until i finished my ride. However tonight he’s been out and beaten my KOM , fair play to him , on looking at his ride its a tiny ride done just to incorporate the segment 3 miles tops approx . Are users that devastated when they lose a KOM that they do anything to get it back?

Bit obsessive in my opinion.

legend
    Free Member

Do you have a sudden desire to go out and win it back??

Jamie
    Free Member

Do you have a sudden desire to go out and win it back??

He can’t hear you, he’s getting the bike out the shed.

bigbloke
    Free Member

😆 ^^^

warton
    Free Member

I had a KOM taken off me by the previous KOM holder. The guy did a 12 mile ride, avg speed 15 km/h, then went up to avg 66 km/h on the segment, peaking at 90 km/h on a flat piece of road….

Reported it, got it back

kerv
    Free Member

I’m with you on this bigbloke. I resisted it until a few weeks back and when I registered there was over 4 years worth of stuff on my Garmin. Now I get emails daily saying so and so has beaten your KOM on stuff I’ve never heard of! Careful though it’s addictive! 🙂

gonetothehills
    Free Member

It’s the most unsocial form of ‘social’ media IMHO 🙂 Temptation is there to just rocket off on group rides – sort of misses the point of getting out on bikes together. Then again – I can see the attraction for the competitive ones amongst us.

bigbloke
    Free Member

😆

Just realised looking at his ride he’d gone out tonight, rode the segment (under 4 mins it takes) 3 times until he’d beaten my time, so basically took 45 mins to complete the ride from home ( less than 1 mile away) to segment then mini loop up n down. Jesus christ thats a bit OTT.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

kerv – Member
    Now I get emails daily saying so and so has beaten your KOM

Have you heard of hyperbole?…

brakes
    Free Member

all the road segments near me worth riding have some incredible times on – they’ve all been ridden by what look to be racers and well beyond what I could acheive so I look at my own times on any given segment and track my progress.

stanfree
    Free Member

Does seem a bit obsessive but each to there own , Im not fit enough to get a KOM in East Lothian as there as some fit roadies out there. I like strava just to see the mileage and ascent I can do , Its bloody annoying though when your phone hasn’t tracked a ride or picked up a segment. I think Endomondo must have taken a bit hit in usage since strava started . Got 3 Personal bests tonight but they are still miles away from really fast times , I’d say I cycle more and probably faster if there issomething to measure It against.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I check which way the wind is blowing then go out and try to ride segments where I know I will have a tail wind . Obsessive ? Certainly not .

IanMunro
    Free Member

Are users that devastated when they lose a KOM that they do anything to get it back?

I think it’s the equivalent of pissing on trees to mark the boundaries of your territory.

br
    Free Member

Lost two KOM’s last week, and one is 400 miles away near where we use to live – bu99er!

lemonysam
    Free Member

I suggest planning a nice ride which includes the segment, beating his time and then naming the ride “Gentle Sunday Bimble” or similar and listing the bike as “Shopping BSO”.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Someone stole my KoM on Screaming Mile in the Peak District last week, I think the guy who runs JRA. I won’t be doing any 3 mile rides just to fit it in but I do ride it almost every weekend as it’s a simple ride from my house and I’d love to get it back, but it presents another problem. I’m not sure my skill level will let me get there safely.

STATO
    Free Member

I had a KOM taken off me by the previous KOM holder. The guy did a 12 mile ride, avg speed 15 km/h, then went up to avg 66 km/h on the segment, peaking at 90 km/h on a flat piece of road….

Reported it, got it back

Why would you report someone riding a segment? so what if he only did that one, his choice how he rides it. Reporting someone for being faster, thats pretty sad.

STATO
    Free Member

Just realised looking at his ride he’d gone out tonight, rode the segment (under 4 mins it takes) 3 times until he’d beaten my time, so basically took 45 mins to complete the ride from home ( less than 1 mile away) to segment then mini loop up n down. Jesus christ thats a bit OTT.

Sounds like a great interval session to me.

Klunk
    Free Member

just imagine all those KOM seekers lining up in front of Hurricane Isaac 😉

brakes
    Free Member

Reporting someone for being faster, thats pretty sad

not if their speed is impossibly fast

STATO
    Free Member

well obviously i dont know the segment but ive seen some local roadies clock that sort of speed on the flat in a sprint.

kerv
    Free Member

getonyourbike “Have you heard of hyperbole?…” is that the name of a segment you’ve stolen off me?

grum
    Free Member

If it’s motivation to get out on the bike I don’t really see the problem. I’m not sure people who use an app to compete on bike segments with other strangers can really start calling other people sad for getting into it. 😉

well obviously i dont know the segment but ive seen some local roadies clock that sort of speed on the flat in a sprint.

90km/h – really?

Jamie
    Free Member

alex222
    Free Member

Are users that devastated when they lose a KOM that they do anything to get it back?

Reported it, got it back

I would say so.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Eh?. I never said anyone was sad?

grum
    Free Member

Eh?. I never said anyone was sad?

You didn’t use the word, but I’m not sure what else you were trying to imply by saying this….

Bit obsessive in my opinion.

Jesus christ thats a bit OTT.

AlasdairMc

The way I see it, Strava is Xbox Live (or whatever it’s called) for fit people. The fact that someone has stolen your KoM gives you a huge incentive to go out and ride it again, and that in itself makes it a good thing.

As for the tailwind thing – I was seconds away from repeating part of my commute tonight for that very reason…

getonyourbike
    Free Member

kerv – Member
    getonyourbike “Have you heard of hyperbole?…” is that the name of a segment you’ve stolen off me?

Google the definition of hyperbole and what I said will make sense.

Klunk
    Free Member

Strava is Xbox Live (or whatever it’s called) for fit people.

much much more easy to cheat on strava than xbox live.

bongo136
    Free Member

I lost 2 tonight 😥 Not to worry I have plenty more 😆

bigbloke
    Free Member

You didn’t use the word, but I’m not sure what else you were trying to imply by saying this….

Ah i see what you mean. I meant the more obsessive side of it not sad.

I like the incentive it gives to do better, its making me ride a bit harder. I am not super fit or racey etc i just like to compare and try and improve along the way, but its not the most important thing to me and my riding.

*Bigbloke…..goes off to carb load and shave the tread down to minimum on tyres for less rolling resistance and weight saving 😉

glupton1976
    Free Member

No you haven’t, that was a particularly wild dream you had

munrobiker
    Free Member

Strava is…for fit people.

This is definitely not the case. I think most people that use it are biffters given that folk on here, me included, can be KoMs. If I am beating everyone that has been up a particular hill with strava then there are some slow people using it.

kerv
    Free Member

getonyourbike getoveryourself, I know what it means. Google “humour,” that was my attempt at it.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Most of the segments are so short they’re laughable, I set up an 11.5 mile segment on the Quantocks to give people something to aim at. 😛

oldgit
    Free Member

Dear God almighty, fact is Strava is shite.
    The peep show hand shandy of cycling.
    Hmm now how did we track our progression before Strava

alex222
    Free Member

I set up an 11.7 mile segment in hell to really give people something to aim for.

oldgit
    Free Member

I set up an 11.7 mile segment in hell to really give people something to aim for.

That’s almost like a 10 mile time trial

DavidB
    Free Member

My climbing fitness has gone through the roof since giving in to Strava, especially as I spend a lot of time in Devon. I do exactly what the OP nemesis does and go straight out for another go. One local whippet took 13 seconds off a climb of mine and I have near destroyed myself in an attempt to get it back. Tonight, I caught two ferries in order to take a single segment. It’s utter genius and plays to the competitive nature of many cyclists. My fave activity is nailing MTB climbs on the cx bike..oh the howls of protest.

Some Strava waffle

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Is Strava always like this?’ is closed to new replies.