Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Is it possible to use one wheel for both 10 and 11 speed for turbo?
  • rocco

Currently I have a turbo which I am using my 11 speed road wheel with and have to keep changing from turbo tyre to road tyre, which at the moment isn’t too much of a hassle as I’m not outside that much. I only have one pair of 11 speed compatible wheels.

My wife has now decided she wants to start using the turbo/Zwift and I have an old wheel I would like to use as a dedicated turbo wheel and swap between the 2 bikes. However she is running 10 speed. The old wheel is only 10 speed and not 11 compatible

Is there a way of fitting a 10 speed cassette onto the wheel and have it available for both of us? Possibly use a spacer to allow for 11 speed? Don’t really want to buy another wheel sorely for me on the turbo

oafishb
    Free Member

Just…don’t bother changing tyres?
    ie, just use the road ones.

I’ve been using my Schwalbe ones outside and on my turbo this winter and, frankly, the wear is not that bad.

If they do wear, well I’ll just buy another….cheaper than a wheel and less faff changing tyres surely.

DC Rainmaker agrees…..

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes but expect some skipping somewhere on the gear changes

Why not just swap over a cassette which is faster than a tyre change?

scud
    Free Member

If a wheel is 11 speed compatible then you can use 10 or 11, you just need a thin spacer to fit the 10 speed cassette on.

if the wheel is only up to 10 speed compatible, then you can’t fit an 11 speed cassette normally, the only way to convert it is an expensive cassette by Edco, but that costs as much as another wheel

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In theory no,

Shimano 11s road has a 3.69mm pitch between sprockets.

Shimano 10s road has a 3.95mm pitch between sprockets.

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

So you either need to swap cassettes every time, or have separate spare 10s and 11s wheels.

Also remember that if you swap wheels, the indexing will be off as the freehub position isn’t as standardised s it probably should be.

Or just get rollers which don’t wear the tyres in the same way so no need for wheel swaps.

I’ve been using my Schwalbe ones outside and on my turbo this winter and, frankly, the wear is not that bad.

It probably varies by tyre and trainer, but when I go on the trainer with my road tyres everything ends up covered in black powdered rubber and the drum has blobs of rubber stuck to it.

rocco

Junkyard – lazarus

Why not just swap over a cassette which is faster than a tyre change?

This was my next plan if couldn’t use one cassette for both wheels.

oafishb – Member

Just…don’t bother changing tyres?
    ie, just use the road ones.

If they do wear, well I’ll just buy another….cheaper than a wheel and less faff changing tyres surely.

DC Rainmaker agrees…..

3rd plan in line if all else failed as I have a turbo specific tyre it seemed stupid not to use it. May just stick that on the 10 speed wheel for the wife and use my current tyres when I am on it

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

if the wheel is only up to 10 speed compatible, then you can’t fit an 11 speed cassette normally

you can fit a 11spd cassette to a 10spd freehub by effectively making a hybrid cassette – remove one cog, put the corresponding spacer behind the cassette and adjust the limit screw. Gives you a functioning 10 speed with 11 speed spacing – I’ve just done this with some used CX tubular wheels I’ve bought so I can use them whilst I’m waiting for an 11spd freehub to come through.

The issue is the different spacing that thisisnotaspoon and junkyard point out will give poor shifting.

I’d go with oafishb’s plan.

TiRed

Does you turbo have resistance? If it does, I’d just stick to one mid-range gear on the cassette. Gear changes are then achieved by changing resistance on the turbo, not sprocket on the cassette. There really is little difference on a turbo (unlike the road). For reference, I’ve spent four hours doing Sufferfest sessions on a spinning bike in a hotel this week, by adjusting resistance.

If you want to run Zwift on a turbo that automatically changes resistance, then this strategy will not work.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to use one wheel for both 10 and 11 speed for turbo?’ is closed to new replies.