Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is it fair to ask questions before applying for a job?
  • tails
    Free Member

Considering applying for a job, would be purely monetary in relation to my current employer who are a nice bunch.

Is it okay to ask question such as,

Is the position permanent?
    How much do you pay?
    What programs do you use?

or would you just apply, and ask at interview if you got one.

The blurb is very vague in comparison to many adverts I have seen.

Stu_N

I'd say if they have contact details on the advert then they are basically inviting questions.

Can't do any harm – a five minute chat should give you a good idea of whether it's something you would want to be doing. If it isn't then you or the advertiser aren't wasting time on applications and interviews.

I'd ask about money last though!

julianwilson
    Free Member

yes! as elvis says though, money last.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ask the questions, you don't want to waste their valuable time.
    What is the pay range / salary bracket?

tails
    Free Member

I might leave the pay one out, although important.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Sounds like ideal questions for the interview to me.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I'd normally say leave it out, but in the context of your post… why risk pi55ing off your current employer, going through all the hassle of taking time off etc etc, if it offers less than you're currently on?

Asking up front shows honesty and openess, asking about money in an interview is interview suicide.

tails
    Free Member

Asking up front shows honesty and openess, asking about money in an interview is interview suicide.

Really, I certainly won't start work without knowing whats going in my bank.

Taff
    Free Member

I would leave monies to the interview itself as it doesn't give a good impression before they meet you. As for the other queries though they shouldn't have any problems with those queries. As I said to my mrs when she went through periods of unemployment all interviews are good practice

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would ask – even the money

No salery on the advert means it usually a poor salary IME.

tails
    Free Member

I'm not sure the money is poor just think thats there style.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Really, I certainly won't start work without knowing whats going in my bank

Never got an offer letter then before starting a job, or a contract?

TBH I'm a professional, all that stuff is dealt with by recruitment agencies who don't even sit you in front of someone if they're not paying what you're looking for. Have last count of the number of agents that have still bothered to warn me not to ask about salary in the interview.

Regardless, why waste everyone's time through not knowing?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is it fair to ask questions before applying for a job?’ is closed to new replies.