Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • is a 50mm stem too short for riding xc??
  • renton
    Free Member

im riding a 20″ inbred and had a 70mm stem on it .

on longer rides i noticed that i was resting on my fingertips on the bars rather than my whole hands, which led me to believe i needed a shorter stem.

so Ive just bought a 2nd hand 50mm one off here and put it on the bike.

Ive only rode the bike round the car park out side but already i feel more upright and i think the cockpit feel too small now!!

should i give it a ride or so to see what its like??

cheers

steve

Andy_K

Do you really need to be told? If it’s comfortable and it works, then go for it!

heihei

Stuck a 50mm stem on my 5-Spot to replace the 70mm, and with big wide bars I love it!!!

jonb
    Free Member

You can ride whatever you like.

Other alternatives are to increase the height of the bars by picking some with more rise or a stem with more rise. Bringing things up should shorten the reach.

juiced
    Free Member

i ride a 40mm stem on my old school xc bike and have done for a number of years now. Trying a spare 50mm one soon just for a change. It was fine with a 70ish mm one but I prefer the less racey feel and the top tube is pretty long.

grumm
    Free Member

Got a 40mm stem on my Pitch now, down from 75 – I really like it, the Pitch is pretty long anyway.

rich-6
    Free Member

^^ bloody hell thats short, Ive just dropped to 70mm on my heckler and that feels small

shinsplints

If it feels ok when you ride it,leave it.If it feels wrong ,change it.

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

Maybe need the front end up a bit rather than short stem? Try a wider/higher bar? – borrow if you can of a mate before splashing out.

PS I use a 60mm stem, 50, 40 or 100mm is fine… if the bike fits then who cares.

ampthill

I’d also try some stretching!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘is a 50mm stem too short for riding xc??’ is closed to new replies.