Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Is a 2-3hr drive too far for a daily commute?
  • muggomagic

Got an interview for a job (working in the cycling industry). The job is a few hours drive, google maps is stating 2hrs, but the roads can get very busy so it'll be more like 3hrs.
    I don't want to relocate as my kids are settled in their school and we all like where we live.
    Will I go mad within a week or two if I were offered the job adding 6hrs to my working day? It's a job I'm really excited about, so would that outweigh the commute?

aP
    Free Member

6 hours a day? I would imagine that would get quite tedious within one or maybe two days.

iDave
    Free Member

you know the answer already

why not work away mon-fri, home at weekends?

Oh, and who would be paying for the fuel!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    eckinspain
    Free Member

Yes, clearly.

Hairychested
    Free Member

On a motorbike it could be fun, in a car – boooooooooring. Unless… Classic FM.

FuzzyWuzzy

I got fed up very quickly of a 1.5 hour (each way) car commute, I certainly couldn't put up with a 3 hour one. You'll probably end up falling asleep at the wheel to…

grumm
    Free Member

Anything more than an hour is pretty ridiculous imo.

muggomagic

You'll probably end up falling asleep at the wheel to…

At least it won't seem like 3 hours if I doze off.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Personally, I think you'd be crazy! 2 – 3 hours? Is a job really worth that?

davidrussell
    Free Member

run the numbers – leave the house at 6am to get there for 9. that means up at 5. get home about 8-9 if you leave at 5. Thats a fifteen hour day every day. not to mention horrendous commuting costs.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Weekdays would just be sleep:eat:drive:work:drive:eat:sleep, you'd hardly get to see the kids and drive your partner crazy with the moaning 😉

Working away Mon-Fri may work out less stressful

kevonakona
    Free Member

Up at 5 am, leave at 6am for 9am start. Leave at 5pm get home 8pm. 5 days a week.

Sorry did you say you had a family?

grumm
    Free Member

Up at 5 am, leave at 6am for 9am start. Leave at 5pm get home 8pm. 5 days a week.

That's nuts, why would you do that?

cp

**** me, anything more than 10mins in the car commuting is rubbish!!

hainey
    Free Member

Yes, definitly.

I used to commute an hour each way on the M25 for about 4 years and it used to really piss me off. Now my commute is 25mins on country roads and my quality of life is lots better.

2hrs each way? – I'd give you 6 weeks before you'd quit.

mrmo
    Free Member

i am working in Chester and living in Cheltenham, it usually takes me 3hrs to do the drive. During the week i am living in a hotel. doing that drive every day, are you clinically insane?

It is not something i would recommend anyone do, it is a **** way to live.

aP
    Free Member

Are there actually jobs in the cycle industry that'll pay for £150 a week of petrol?

davidrussell
    Free Member

i dont! I'm saying thats what he would be doing on those commute figures. I live 20 mins from the ofice and was still 20 mins late this morning 😳

Nobby

Used to have to commute from Kent to Birmingham, albeit only a couple of days a week, and that was bad enough. A 2 or 3 hour drive after an 11 or 12 hour day is a killer & I really didn't like not seeing the nipper before he went to bed.

After a month I got it down to once a fortnight with an overnight stay which kept the boss happy & didn't interfere with family life too much.

Doing it daily would send me insane within the first week.

isibson
    Free Member

My first job was 45 miles from where I was living (with my parents at the time). It took an hour on a good day. Often it would take an hour and a half to get home.

Even at the age of 21, with no family of my own, no cooking, cleaning, etc I found it impossibly wearing. I'd get home for 7pm, eat, watch tv a bit, get on the net, wind down as much as I could (and wasn't ready to go to bed until about midnight). On a friday I'd get home and just pass out by 9pm and not wake up until mid day on saturday. I spent the weekend doing my laundry and getting ready for the next week, then back into it. I was laid off after 6 months, which almost came as a relief.

Now I have a commute that is 25-45 minutes. On the way home the last 7 miles are country roads over the pennines and there's two large hills between me and work. I am MUCH happier.

Seriously, don't do it. A friend of mine has done the weekly commute thing (working in derby, living in cambs) and he missed his family terribly. Quality of life is a combination of many things, but I think that no matter how good the job, you'll be paying too high a price in terms of driving stress, missing your kids (they'll be asleep when you get up and go, and they'll be in bed when you get home) and just not having any time for yourself.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my dad used to commute that sorta time – project manager on a large building site.

If there is something i dont want to do its that – long days – high stress -not being able to wind down at nights = heart attack at 34 – and a follow up at 43 (x2)

br
    Free Member

Its too much – either stay-over, work from home if poss, move, or don't take the job.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Simply divide your pay by the extra hours you'd be doing unpaid during the commute, it won't look like much value then. But sometimes needs must, if you have a family to support and it's a short time job then sometimes you just have to suck it up for a while.

mrsflash
    Free Member

clearly, you are totally nuts.

toby1

100% yes, too far, it's just not worth it at all.

muggomagic

Think I knew the answer long before posting. Have been looking into cost of staying in a caravan, going home one night during the week and home for the weekend.
    Fingers crossed I mess up the interview, because if offered it I think I'd find it really hard to turn down.

hora
    Free Member

3-6hrs a day in a car? Are you mad?

Even if it was a commute in a Aston Martin paying 100k a year I wouldnt do it. Come the weekend and I wouldnt want to get in the car to go for a ride. I'd just sleep in.

Plus the stress/wear and tear on the car (cost).

No.

If it was as a Traffic Policeman- that would be the exception.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Wouldn't take it that far hora, I'd go out of my way to take all the back roads in an aston, 4 hours of playing each end of the day 🙂

tron
    Free Member

Even if you can hack it day to day, there'll be days when everything goes wrong at work and you have to stay late. Even staying until 6 or 7 will be an absolute nightmare when you have that kind of commute, nevermind the days when you're stuck there properly late.

hora
    Free Member

Aye- and smoke a cigar enroute 😀

iDave
    Free Member

why can't you all move? kids will settle in new schools, if its your dream job etc, just do it.

Stoner
    Free Member

depending on the employer you might consider flexitime – say drive up sunday night, sleep mon-weds night, pack in a 35+hr week 3.5 days and drive home on thursday afternoon.

As the role matures you may be able to spend less time at the "office" and take an extra on the computer at home?

hora
    Free Member

why can't you all move? kids will settle in new schools, if its your dream job etc, just do it.

How long can you expect a 'dream' job to last though? Keep family in one place IMO.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I did it for a couple of years before uping sticks and relocating. It's way too much. I would say an hour is too much too myself – on both the effect on yourself and on the wider planet. Oh aye, and the cost in fuel is just scary!

Either take the job and relocate, the kids will deal with a change in location (I did it often enough as a nipper) or don't bother.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes madness to even consider it I and extra 4 hours minimum to working day. You will never see your family

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Mental I wouldn't have even spent 2 mins thinking about it and your still going ahead with interview, even though you state you won't move. i do 18 miles down A34 and that should take 25 minutes, often takes 2 hours due to stupid idiots on the road crashing and it's horrific. Don't do it, you'll end up killing yourself.

hora
    Free Member

As above- it'll soon stop being your dream job when you shout at the kids, ignore them and talk less to your partner.

Wiredchops
    Free Member

Is the job re-populating a tropical island completely inhabited by nubile busty females? Because that's the only job worth a six hour penalty on your day, you'd probably need the long commute so the groinal ice bath has chance to work.

I agree with the majority of posters.

hora
    Free Member

Is the job re-populating a tropical island completely inhabited by nubile busty females

I'm in. Although we wouldnt have any energy left to do the job itself!

molgrips
    Free Member

Hell yes it's too far for a daily commute. I live 2.5 hours away from work and I stay in a hotel. It sucks, but it also pays the bills.

Put it this way, if the job was in your own town but was for 15 hour days, would you do it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Is a 2-3hr drive too far for a daily commute?’ is closed to new replies.