Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • is a 142x12mm rear hub different to an X12?
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a bike which runs an X12 rear setup (with Syntace ‘maxle’).

Does the wheel itself have the same dimensions as a 142×12 hub?

In other words, are a 142×12 and a X12 rear hub interchangeable?

Is the X12 bit just referring to the Syntace (m)axle itself?

Possibly a numptie question I know…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

AFAIK they’re the same thing.

honourablegeorge

Yes, Hub dimensions should be the same, so any 142x12mm hub should be fine. (Although you can get a 150mm X12 axle on some DH Bikes, but let’s leave that aside for now)

The differences are the axles themselves usually – a Syntace axle has a differet thread on the end to a Maxle, for example.

Onzadog
    Free Member

All 142 x 12 hubs are the same. However, the axle and frame need to match as there are a few different patterns eg X12, maxle etc.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Got it, thanks.

I was just thrown as Hope seem to do two types of hub cap for their Pro2 EVO rear hub (’12mm bolt thru’ and ‘X12′), which confused me. But now I realise that the ’12mm bolt thru’ is actually 135×12 and the X12 is basically 142×12. I think.

honourablegeorge

reggiegasket – Member

the ’12mm bolt thru’ is actually 135×12 and the X12 is basically 142×12. I think.

Yep. Also different kit for EVO hubs versus older Pro 2 – the Evo just needs end caps for 135/142 x 12 – the older hubs need a new axle too

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘is a 142x12mm rear hub different to an X12?’ is closed to new replies.