Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Is £3.60 too dear…..
  • Wheyayeman
    Free Member

for a pint of Guinness, I thought it was but after a “discussion” with the landlord of my local he assured me that this is the going rate for a local pub, so how much is it in your local?
    Cheers hic!

highclimber
    Free Member

not at all. think its nearly double that in dublin

johnners
    Free Member

You’re drinking Guinness at 11 in the morning? Good effort.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Tis about right, and why i dont drink it anymore 🙁

kayak23

Sadly not.

lunge

Anything under £3 you feel like you’ve got a good deal, £3 – £3.50 seems normal around here (The Midlands), £3.50+ and I think they’re pushing their luck.

Saying that, I paid £14.25 for 3 pints of Peroni last week. Now that was expensive.

jota180
    Free Member

Still under £3 [just] here in the NE – £2.20 at the miners club

bellerophon
    Free Member

not at all. think its nearly double that in dublin

should it not be free there?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm.. not had a pint of McG for a while now, good call..

£3.60, about right, t’is down here on the coast.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

TBH, unless it’s stored propperly and that, Guinness isn’t all that. Try a few other stouts from indy brewers, and you’ll see why. There’s only a few pubs I’ve bin in where the Guinness is really good. Mind you, there’s a lot of places where the beer’s not great, due to poor storage and pourage. Although people seem to becoming fussier about there beer. More variety, better quality.

I’d rather pay loads for a nice beer than less for a crap one.

bellerophon
    Free Member

I’d rather pay loads for a nice beer than less for a crap one

indeed

ste_t
    Free Member

Saw the topic title, thought ‘guinness’ to myself. Why? Both my bars charge £3.60 for it. Style of operation and business model originally dictated pricing structure. Constant duty rises just can’t be absorbed by the on-trade like they can by the supermarkets. No option but to blame the previous/current government. They’ve decimated our industry and I’m not even going start on what they’ve done to our society!

jota180
    Free Member

It’s all brewed in Ireland these days AFAIK so you have no option but to pay ‘austerity measures’ prices.

glenh
    Free Member

I try not to pay over £2 a pint for decent ale.
    £3.60 is definitely too much, especially for Guinness.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Don’t they brew in Burton – on – Trent ? Like Stella??

zilog6128

I’d rather pay loads for a nice beer than less for a crap one.

A pub in my town changed hands recently and was reborn as a brewpub. They have 3 regular ales which are always on, and 3-5 others depending on what they fancy brewing up. And they are all lovely!! I don’t go anywhere else now… couldn’t imagine paying the same money for some inferior beer that you could just as well have at home out of a tin/bottle.

jota180
    Free Member

Don’t they brew in Burton – on – Trent ? Like Stella??

Don’t think so
    They moved the UK Guinness production back to Dublin a few years ago, don’t think it came back

bigyinn
    Free Member

The trouble with Guinness is this daft idea that it needs to be served cold, really f’ing cold. This just kills any semblance of flavour and aroma. It also means that it can be kept by a lot more places that would probably kill a decent stout.
    Try a proper real stout served at a “warmer” temp (10-15 degrees C ish) and enjoy something with lots of different tastes to enjoy.

woody2000

Nom nom nom @ £2.50 a pint 🙂

glenh
    Free Member

I reckon you can have it for less than £2.50 at the titus salt woody 🙂

bellerophon
    Free Member

I likes beer me

woody2000

Really! Might have to organise a ride over there some time soon 🙂

binners

I try not to pay over £2 a pint for decent ale.

Out of interest, where do you live? 1997? 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I don’t get the ‘premium’ pricing of Guinness. It’s mass-produced probably pasteurised stuff.

What we need to see, which it appears may actually be happening, is a move away from the chain pub format, or at least the chains buying in some decent local brews in each area, so we the customers have more choice. This way, we could see the bland mass-produced stuff make way for decent beers of all kinds; Northern warm ales (served boiled cos it’s too cold and miserable up there to drink owt cold), golden ales, wheaty beers, proper German/Czech lagers, strong Dutch/Belgian stuff, and stuff from further afield. Oh, and more ciders on draught too. Most pubs serve just one draught cider if you’re lucky, invariably Strongbow or something.

Instead we get: Mass-produced Lager, Guinness and Strongbow mostly. Going to a pub should be about enjoying a nice pint in good company, not getting rat-arsed on cheap crap then having a fight. No wonder the Japanese are terrified. 😥

coffeeking
    Free Member

I paid £3.80 in a nice eatery last week. But 2.80 is about the going rate in my normal pubs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ale is 3.50 in my local and guinness is more. This is proper real ale pub tho

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

But 2.80 is about the going rate in my normal pubs.

Yeah but you drink in pubs like these:

😀

bigthunder
    Free Member

I cant bring myself to pay that for a pint nowadays. Go to the supermarketand get loads more for yer money. 4 cans of belhaven best 3.70. Deuchars 1.50 a bottle. McEwans Champion(7.3%!)1.50. Do miss the occasional punch up and stale smell of the local though. Fine looking establishments^!!

binners

joeegg
    Free Member

Beers £1.50 a pint in a pub near me.Not sure if Sam Smiths is any good ,but the pub keeps busy.

Cougar

I can’t remember the last time I bought Guinness on draught, but I’d be handing it back in my local if the price started with a three.

Ale’s about £2.30 currently, so long as you avoid the pubs that look like they’re night clubs owned by Poundland.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yeah but you drink in pubs like these:

🙂 No, but I’m from a sane end of the country. Plus I often get to drink in student bars at £1 a pint (though not Guinness, but it’s not more than 2.50). Guess I’m spoilt, I pretty much fall over if the beer is >3.50 a pint! Knowing how much they buy it in for I would simply feel insulted paying that!

Cougar

Beers £1.50 a pint in a pub near me.Not sure if Sam Smiths is any good ,but the pub keeps busy.

Do you live in Gildersome?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m not interested in it if I can 2 drinks and change from a tenner.

Got to be in a fancy glass too, one of those ones that says I’m better than you.

miketually
    Free Member

Plus I often get to drink in student bars at £1 a pint

For crap beer though, I’d guess.

coffeeking
    Free Member

£1 a pint is “average beer”. I hate beer generally, so I’d choose JD and coke instead, at £1.25 a glass.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Plus I often get to drink in student bars at £1 a pint (though not Guinness, but it’s not more than 2.50). Guess I’m spoilt, I pretty much fall over if the beer is >3.50 a pint! Knowing how much they buy it in for I would simply feel insulted paying that!

Student bars won’t be paying rents and other overheads though, so can afford to charge a lot less. Many make minimal profits too.

Most student bars are rank though let’s be honest. 😆

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Is £3.60 too dear…..’ is closed to new replies.