• This topic has 31 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by z1ppy.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • IOW Lifeboats vandalised
  • ninfan
    Free Member

Speechless, absolutely blooming speechless

Ryde Inshore Rescue lifeboats have been vandalized. RR1 has been stabbed approx 14 times and RR2 stabbed approx 8 times.

http://onthewight.com/2014/07/21/vandals-destroy-ryde-inshore-rescues-boats/

I just don’t get at what point someone would even consider this 😯

timidwheeler

Sadly, some people are just filth.
    Best chuck a couple of quid in the lifeboat on the bar tonight.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Can’t even begin to think why some creature would even think about doing it, but as a screw, nothing surprises me with what people will do for some kind of ‘pleasure’.
    Be nice to tie them down & just ask ‘Why’? as they probably don’t have any thought skills to even answer such a simple question.

Take them about 3 miles offshore in a crappy boat with a bit of sea running, no power or even oars & say ‘who ya gonna call, Ghostbusters?’ 🙄

neilwheel
    Free Member

Beyond comprehension.

wrightyson
    Free Member

If only the scenario would come about when one of the shitbags was afloat but washed out to sea on his lilo still with can of Stella in hand. Sorry mate can’t save you today as the boat is flat, drown you ****!

CountZero

I’m, frankly, speechless!

Can’t even begin to think why some creature would even think about doing it, but as a screw, nothing surprises me with what people will do for some kind of ‘pleasure’.
    Be nice to tie them down & just ask ‘Why’? as they probably don’t have any thought skills to even answer such a simple question.

They’d just grunt

Take them about 3 miles offshore in a crappy boat with a bit of sea running, no power or even oars & say ‘who ya gonna call, Ghostbusters?’

Exactly my thought.
    The RNLI is one of the charities we deal with at work, and it’s one I will always donate to, because you can see where every penny goes to, and every time they go out, it’s often at enormous risk to the volunteers on the boats.
    Real heros, unlike some jackass who kicks a ball into an open goal.

andytherocketeer

Take them about 3 miles offshore in a crappy boat with a bit of sea running, no power or even oars & say ‘who ya gonna call, Ghostbusters?’

I’d be generous… give them a flare, and tell them that’s how to call IoW RNLI.

poly
    Free Member

Best chuck a couple of quid in the lifeboat on the bar tonight.

[quote]The RNLI is one of the charities we deal with at work, and it’s one I will always donate to,[/quote]

NO! The Ryde boat is not run by the RNLI so don’t give money to them if you expect it to help these circumstances. There is a common misconception that all lifeboats in the UK are run by the RNLI but they are not, and some of the smaller independent lifeboats (like Ryde) really struggle for cash, not only because they don’t have the “marketing” resources of the RNLI but also because people think putting money in the RNLI tin will help them too. It doesn’t. If you want to help Ryde you need to donate directly.

revs1972
    Free Member

Considering the main route on and off the island is by sea, you have to be a bit dumb to scupper something that could save your life . But then again these mindless sh1ts don’t think logically.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Appalling.

iwmunt
    Free Member

Its a disgrace!

mogrim

Its a disgrace!

Certainly is: why is such an important service run as a charity? The US Coastguard is part of their armed forces, why isn’t it in the UK?

grahamh
    Free Member

The US Coastguard is part of their armed forces, why isn’t it in the UK?

Because it would have gone the same way as ‘Air Sea Rescue’, privatised.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Maybe because it works well with local people coming in to staff the lifeboats at short notice. The alternative being paying shifts of full-time crews to sit around waiting for the bell to ring.

(edit) See also Mountain Rescue.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Certainly is: why is such an important service run as a charity? The US Coastguard is part of their armed forces, why isn’t it in the UK?

Cos we can’t afford it probably.

burko73

“Considering the main route on and off the island is by sea, you have to be a bit dumb to scupper something that could save your life . But then again these mindless sh1ts don’t think logically.”

without wishing to offend anyone we are talking about the Isle of Wight…..

Last time I was over there I saw an old Sierra overtake me on the only bit of dual carriageway on the island with a tall stack of 12 ft skirting boards on the roof rack. I couldn’t quite work out what looked odd about it until they pulled in to the lane in front of me and I noticed the guy in the back seat with his arm out of the window holding them on to the roof rack. No ropes, bungees, nothing……

footflaps

We can easily afford it, we just chose not to. The whole austerity thing is just a massive con.

mogrim

I refuse to believe we can’t afford a few lifeboats (or even US Coastguard style cutters) around the coast.

ninfan
    Free Member

Because as one of the Coxwains said to me years ago – if it was run by government, they would have half the fleet, ten times as many managers pushing around reams of needless paperwork, and their boats would be made to a lower spec by the cheapest bidder, but cost twice as much…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

When I said, ‘cos we can’t afford it probably’, I didn’t mean ‘we can’t afford it’. That’s what politicians would say. Of course we can afford it, & easily peasily. Sack a few politicians & that would pay for Lord knows how many hours of lifeboat/coastguard cover.
    I’m also a sea angler & go boat fishing, I know who I’d prefer to turn to in times of peril!

Because as one of the Coxwains said to me years ago – if it was run by government, they would have half the fleet, ten times as many managers pushing around reams of needless paperwork, and their boats would be made to a lower spec by the cheapest bidder, but cost twice as much…

Absolutely spot on.

timidwheeler

Right, I’ve upset the barmaid and made a right mess of the collection pot, but I got my £3 back. Where do I need to send it?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member
    jonahtonto
    Free Member

https://www.justgiving.com/rydeinshorerescue/

i am no where near where these guys operate from but they have to be worth a few quid

maccruiskeen

why is such an important service run as a charity? The US Coastguard is part of their armed forces, why isn’t it in the UK?

You could ask the same about any area of life – why have a charity doing cancer research when we have an HHS? Why have homeless charities when we have social housing? Why have Sustrans when we have the department of roads and transport?

We have a coastguard, and a navy, and theres the search and rescue soakings and so on- the RNLI is just part of that picture. They’re the part joe public are most likely to encounter as they cover the inshore areas we might get into strife swimming/sailing etc. If your on a container ship, on fire at the edge of international waters its not the RNLI in an inflatable boat that will be coming out to help you. The origins of the lifeboat organisations are inshore sailers looking after their own, as the difficulties boats would most commonly get into would be on the return to harbour.

mogrim

You could ask the same about any area of life – why have a charity doing cancer research when we have an HHS? Why have homeless charities when we have social housing? Why have Sustrans when we have the department of roads and transport?

OK, I see what you’re saying, but lifeboats are an emergency service and IMO a bit different. I feel the same way about Mountain Rescue – another volunteer service.

IanMunro
    Free Member

IIRC moutain rescue and possibly lifeboats explicty don’t want to be public bodies, because although they already have a duty of care to their volunteers, the thought process is that once they become employees with contracts, working hours etc, it becomes far more difficult to determine what risk they should be exposed to.

mogrim

IIRC moutain rescue and possibly lifeboats explicty don’t want to be public bodies, because although they already have a duty of care to their volunteers, the thought process is that once they become employees with contracts, working hours etc, it becomes far more difficult to determine what risk they should be exposed to.

I can see that, and as is the system does seem to work – it just seems a bit weird that they aren’t a state funded part of the emergency services.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

For such a picturesque place, the IOW does appear to have more than it’s fair share of pond life! Maybe it’s the 3 prisons and massive council estate. It’s a shame really.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Some really scummy people around, unbelievable!

Donation done

maccruiskeen

OK, I see what you’re saying, but lifeboats are an emergency service

like retained fire fighters, The Red Cross, St Johns Ambulance, First Responders, the Territorial Army, PCSOs. and so on.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Donation sent.

The sheer destructive pointlessness of some people is pretty sad.

z1ppy

Just so wrong, on so many levels.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘IOW Lifeboats vandalised’ is closed to new replies.