• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Internet through electicity – old house & shed content, WID?
  • back2basics
    Free Member

So i need to get the webby to my shed 10m into the garden, wifi wont go through 2 solid stone walls, so i thought about using those electrical plugs interwebby things and running a plug from the house to the shed to give me electrics as well as webby access.

i got 2 different junction boxes – does the plug the internet goes into have to be on the same junction box as the plug the internet comes out of (the one for the shed connected via the kitchen plugs)…

will it work???

cheers IT peeps!

footflaps

i got 2 different junction boxes – does the plug the internet goes into have to be on the same junction box as the plug the internet comes out of (the one for the shed connected via the kitchen plugs)…

No, everything is connected together in the consumer unit.

sharkbait
    Free Member

By ‘junction box’ do you mean consumer unit? If so then it may or may not work.
    We have two consumer units as our house has been extended considerably and part of the house cannot talk to the other part. Solved by using Cat 6 which is a better way to go anyway.
    Suck it and see, but you’ll probably be fine.

somouk
    Free Member

You could always use external aerials on a router to get wifi out there.

A lot of routers come with removable aerials and the external ones can be found cheap enough.

back2basics
    Free Member

@somouk
    you may be right there, although we have BT router with no aerials ….:(

Jason
    Free Member

Two consumer units in my house and I couldn’t get powerline adapters to work. Well they would work for a bit and then loose the signal and need resetting, pretty much to the point they were useless.

In the end I went with a plugin wireless wifi extender that does the job well, although may not work for you if you have a 10m garden to bridge.

somouk
    Free Member

@somouk
    you may be right there, although we have BT router with no aerials ….:(

Just add a second router in to manage the wireless out to the back garden, won’t cause any issues with the BT jobbie.

jeff

The powerline adapters didn’t work for me out to my garage – cheap cat6 cable has been doing the job for nearly a year now. Tried the boosters too, not much joy for me but that may have been due to the BT home hub rather than anything else.

And “running a plug to the shed” = laying some armoured cable to a new consumer unit I hope 🙂

back2basics
    Free Member

@jeff – just long wire into 4 way socket directly under the sink
    (i poo you not!)

kcal

Ran some elevated Cat5 or Cat6 cable to my shed, out a disused water overflow and then into the shed. faster that powerline I’d expect, too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Internet through electicity – old house & shed content, WID?’ is closed to new replies.