Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Internal protection for steel frame
  • pate
    Free Member

Hi guys,
    I'm sure it has been asked before but what did you use for protecting tubes internaly (a new frame). Thanks P

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Waxoyl, from a motor factors.

thomthumb
    Free Member

78% nitrogen
    21% oxygen mix.

my frames lasted ages.

wwaswas

any of the waxy, spray can based, ones that Halfords etc sell for cavity protection in cars will be fine.

Make sure the frame and the can are nice and warm before you start to get good coverage and be prepared for drips out of all the orrifices for a few days afterwards.

paddyplumb
    Free Member

You can buy a specific product called "Frame-Saver".

Used it on all my Explosif's and not a hint of internal corrosion.

Check the net for stockists or speak to Mark at Argos Cycyles on 0117 9724730.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

the waxy schlock can be pretty heavy, if you worry about those sorts of things.

paddyplumb
    Free Member

Check out frame-saver review on Bike Radar

brant
    Free Member

I used the same as Thomthumb, and my 853 frame with "tippex" paint, kept in a damp garage is showing zero signs of corrosion.

wwaswas

*insert 853 sticker comment here*

bassspine
    Free Member

Waxoyl kits are £30 or so from a motor factors, you get enough waxoyl to do shedloads of bikes.
    I can't decide if it's worth the effort TBH, have you seen bikes rust through?
    I've worked on bikes up to 50 years old including some with 'pencil stays' and no real problem with rust on them (most notably a 1948 Rotrax, still with the original owner, he did the coast to coast of the US in 1952 on it: HFCIT?)

brant
    Free Member

*insert 853 sticker comment here*

I'd forgotten about that until I pressed SEND POST.

lol.

Where's Chewy?

epicyclo

Motorbike chain wax when I can be bothered

RustyNissanPrairie

a 1 litre refill can of waxoyl mixed with enough diesel to make it nice and runny and poured through a funnel via the BB and headtube areas, give it a good slosh about and let it hang headtube down overnight.

Did both of my Brooklyns as internal rust was the about the only thing that would kill a Racelink.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Used it on all my Explosif's and not a hint of internal corrosion

not a hint of internal corrosion on my frames either, this may be because i cant see inside

woody2000

Why don't frame makers use sealed tubes? Too expensive?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Salt and water for me

Speshpaul

You try welding two sealed tubes together…..Bang.:lol:

White grease is arsehole can. Job jobbed!

Kahurangi

You guys must have frames sealed up or never ridden. My Genesis Croix de Fer will bleed rusty water out of the chain stays if you tip it up on to the back wheel. Then again it is used every day on the road.

My Rocl Lobster still suffers a bit!

Both live outside in the rain.

woody2000

Brazing not strong enough for MTB tubes?

brant
    Free Member

Why don't frame makers use sealed tubes? Too expensive?

Fat Chance used sealed tubes on some of theirs. They weren't too well sealed and rotted through where the water that got in, couldn't get out 🙁

woody2000

I could see how that would be a pain Brant 😕 I'd guess they might be better sealed now though?!

bowglie

I used the 'frame saver' (I think the brand is 'Wiegle') stuff on my P7 and it seems to work well – I think it costs about £8 and one can will probably stretch to 2 frames (sorry, can't find the can – otherwise you could have it)

pate
    Free Member

OK. Some food for thought. Thanks for all the replies. It's for "winter" road bike. I'll see what I can get my paws on ASAP as the bike is waiting for me in the shop 😛

coffeeking
    Free Member

thomthumb has it. I've had 2 steel frames (one of them still going), neither have more than a light hint of rust on the inner surface, despite river crossings, all-winter mud-baths etc. Never seen the need.

My car, on the other hand….

Radioman

The killer is riding on salted wet roads especially if the bike isnt rinsed. If its just used offroad then probably it'l be fine.

However I do use waxoyl on my frames. I paid about £5 for a small can. You don't need much at all nd it takes 5 minutes when building the bike… I cant see much downside unless you use too much.

nickc

My inbred spent a winter with no paint on it, and no internal protection, and still didn't suffer.

coastkid
    Free Member

castrol motorcycle chainwax…,only £6.. cro-moly wont rust for years…
    but i cycle through the sea sometimes so thought just in case….

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Internal protection for steel frame’ is closed to new replies.