Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Interlocking gym mats – anyone used them?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Thinking about getting some of these for use under and around a punchbag in the garage:

Wasnt sure if they would be up to the job and constantly buckle under any twisting motion? anyone used them for more vigorous use?

Also wanted to pad my wall to protect the punchbag, and was thinking i could also use these up the wall, but maybe not get quite so thick ones.

I imagine the thicker ones you can get (40mm) would buckle less than the 20mm ones on the floor?

So anyone used them?

bencooper
    Free Member

The martial arts place I go to has those – seem very tough, no buckling. Only slight issue is with a 10×10 square they creep a bit and unzip. A smaller square probably wouldn’t.

s
    Free Member

We use them for the kids kick boxing classes, they are pretty tough, pain in the 😉 to keep putting down and taking up after a session, but hold up well.

organic355
    Free Member

any idea if they are 20mm or 40mm ones ben or S? and if they are tight to the wall? mine will only be tight to one wall.

bencooper
    Free Member

Ours are 40mm, and tight to one wall. It’s not that the entire lot moves, it’s that one or two edge ones unzip – caused, I think, by running around in circles 🙂

s
    Free Member

40mm here too, a fair few years old too, ours are getting quite battered now & can unzip a bit like bencooper mentioned.

If they are tight to one wall and you have a good grid of six square or more they should be fine.

BoardinBob

The gyms I train at have them. One floor is awful and they constantly move and bunch up. These seem to be quite soft mats though, almost sponge like. The other floor in the same gym is completely fine and they’re a bit harder. The gym I use at the weekend also has the harder mats and again they’re great.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Got them in the garage and no issues – ZX10r, MTB’s, punchbag, etc – all fine and no movement.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I know one bloke who on two separate occasions one on each leg snapped his tib and fib and dislocated his ankle when his foot stuck on the mat while twisting with trainers on and the second occasion just suffered a clean break from falling off the edge!!!!! Hate the dam things, only use with bare feet or socks IMO.

scunny
    Free Member

Cheaper alternative are horse stable mats, much harder wearing as well.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Horse mats cheaper? Not a chance

Soft mats

Horse mats

cchris2lou

I run a softplay hire business and we use something similar .

they are fine , but not on carpet , they slide all over the place .

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Interlocking gym mats – anyone used them?’ is closed to new replies.