Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Interesting find in my family tree.
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My grandfather and great grandfather both built bikes for a living. 😀

My uncle James was POW during WW2 and resided at Stalag XIIA
    I knew nowt about my fathers side of the family until now and this is the most I have found out in all the years I have been alive.

Anyone else had an interesting find.?

flap_jack
    Free Member

My Uncle James was a champion time-triallist before the war…12 hours was his speciality – on a fixed !

MrNutt
    Free Member

One of my not very distant relatives was an original Red Indian, given that I’m British that could make me more American than most Americans?

DavidB
    Free Member

I’m descended from Blackadars

Philby

I am distantly related to Laurens van der Post (Prince Charles’ now deceased guru and Prince William’s godfather)

avdave2

My grandfathers uncle was Henry Bowers who died alongside Scott and Wilson on the return from the Pole and who accompanied Wilson and Cherry-Garrard on “The Worst Journey In The World”

tang
    Free Member

My grandfather a few times back wrote ‘Haiwatha’.

maccruiskeen

As a very tall bloke from a family of very tall folk… It recently transpired that my great grandmother was a foul tempered, but very righteous dwarf. She used to have an objection to mothers in the East End leaving their babies in prams out in the street while they sat in pubs drinking gin. So she’d go steaming into pubs to give drunk mums a piece of her mind. She often had a black eye. And she lived in the Tower of London.

hurbum
    Free Member

One of my ancestors was Sir George Cayley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Cayley

sbob
    Free Member

One of my ancestors was imprisoned for bestiality.
    Records didn’t mention what animal.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Not even slightly interesting I suppose, but here’s a picture of my great grandfather that we’ve just discovered.

nickthegreek
    Free Member

My grandfather a few times back was Bob Fitzsimmons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Fitzsimmons

boxelder

Great uncle was an alcoholic gambler who pissed away the family land holding (farmer/veg merchants) and died in his 30’s.

alpin
    Free Member

I’m a descendant of http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Young_Simpson and my great grand father kick started Boots the chemist , financed Southend pier and the Kurzel, and then pissed his money up the wall leaving my nan with nothing… I could have been sooo rich!

Northwind

One of my uncles is doing our tree now, turns out we’re all kinds of inbred 😳 No money or famous connections, my grandad was pretty cool but before that I think it’s wasters all the way back to the cavemen.

Ambrose

Grandfather flew Lancasters.
    Really ancient relative on mother’s side turned up late to Battle of Waterloo, so Napoleon lost.

Great Gran on father’s side had a bit of a fling with Oates, some months prior to his ‘short walk’.

mrchrispy

my great grand mothers god father was gearge stephenson…..it was all dow hill for use after that!

Dibbs
    Free Member

My grandfather was born Charles Handford, but his mother re-married changing his surname. So really my surname should be Handford.

konabunny
    Free Member

I think it’s wasters all the way back to the cavemen.

Daddy???

JulianA
    Free Member

My grandfather a few times back was Bob Fitzsimmons

As mentioned in the poem ‘New Year’s Eve’ by Robert Service.

shooterman

One of my ancestors was what we would now call a human trafficker. He did a lot of this around the coast of Wales, bringing slaves / hostages back to Ireland.

Anyhow, he was supposed to be “Niall of the Nine Hostages” who allegedly brought St Patrick to Ireland.

craigxxl
    Free Member

My grandfather on my mothers side was in the original formation of the commandos during WW2. All I remember of him is a heavy drinking Glaswegian who scared the hell out of me as a kid. Only really bonded with him after I joined the army but he’d had a stroke by then and could barely communicate otherwise I would have loved to hear some of his experiences. Now sadly passed away.

grum
    Free Member

My grandad did loads of family history research and found some interesting stuff. Reckons we might be related to Ethelred the Unready though how he could know that far back I have no idea. I suppose there weren’t that many people around then.

paulsoxo – awesome pic!

mintimperial

According to my dad, one of my great-grandfathers was a bigamist with families on both sides of the Irish Sea. He died after falling off the Mersey ferry in mysterious circumstances.

avdave2

Northwinds – wasters all the way back to the cavemen.

You need that on a t-shirt, it’s still making me laugh 2 hours after reading it.

wingnuts

Several interesting characters in ours. Great auntie was reputedly the first women to drive in England. Think it may have been the first woman to get a driving licence in reality. Grandfather looked after part of George Bernard Shaws will to do with the promotion of phonetic spelling. And one who I wished I’d met was a great uncle who was a tailor who was conscripted during the First World War. On the troop ship to Gallipoli he won a fortune at cards. Wrote home proclaiming his winnings (all in IOUs I imagine) telling family to buy a shop and house. They did and he duly arrived home alive. He was so taken with his luck of winning at cards and coming out of the war alive he lost interest in the business which had been established and gambled it all away.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

My great great grandfather invented the first automated printing machine in Otley, called the Wharfedale press. Although he’s credited with the invention he didn’t patent the idea hence it being copied millions of times over throughout the world. Stupid old bu@@er 😉

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

During the war when my grandfather was working in munitions in Coventry while he left my gran and family up in Yorkshire he spent his time shagging soldiers wives and god knows how many kids he sired, my Dad thinks he did similar back in Yorkshire.

Hate to think what our tree looks like, probably a Monkey Puzzle 🙁

bearnecessities

I’m related to Marilyn Monroe apparently, although I have never attempted to verify this.

Harry_the_Spider

My dad has traced my mum’s side back quite a long way. Once you go back a few generations your are related to hundreds of people so you are bound to get a few interesting ones.

Some of my (very) distant relatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Bruce_Ismay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Robertson_Bowers

An FA cup winner

Captain of Wigan RLFC

Executioner for Nottinghamshire

2 convicted murderers

tyger
    Free Member

One of my relatives married William Penn of Pennsyvania USA – often wondered about going over there just for fun 🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

Oliver Cromwell is somewhere in my family tree, albeit a couple of marriages ‘across’ rather than a proper ancestor.
    My second cousin on my Eeeengleesh side was (he’s dead now) Rear Admiral Sam Salt, was then Captain of HMS Sheffield when it was Exocetted in the Falklands. BBC interview with him somewhere on youtube for when I forget how terribly posh he spoke. 😀

Sandwich

Ronnie Biggs is a distant relative on my mothers side of the family!

andytherocketeer

my great-great-great-grandfather was acquitted of murder.
    his elder brother wasn’t so lucky.

there’s even a website about them.

matthew_h
    Free Member

My second cousin, James, won the Formula One World Championship in 1976

TheFlyingOx

I’m a bit Armenian. My dad’s mother’s father arrived on a boat in 1916 to escape what the Ottomans were doing to those they didn’t like.

On my mum’s side, her uncles were dwarf twins and traveled the country with a circus.

EDIT: Oh, and this is my grandad:

piemonster

2 murderers, one convicted. The other alleged. Back in the 50’s and 60’s.

One “fugitive” for “what he did to that copper”

We don’t have much to do with that ‘side’ of the family. My folks didn’t really know they even existed until my Nan’s funeral. And I didn’t know my Nan had 10 siblings.

My brother did a whole old of research on my grandparents military service history. No end of stuff there.

Pete
    Free Member

My sister does a lot of our genealogy, found we are related to Lillie Langtry, mistress to Prince of Wales around 1877

RustySpanner

Well, I’ve got two brothers I’ve never met, English, Irish, Spanish French and Flemish relatives (from the last two generations 🙂 ) and just feel that things might get a little, er, complicated if I dig too much.

I’d rather just let them all sleep peacefully, tbh.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Interesting find in my family tree.’ is closed to new replies.