Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Installing XT disk brake question
  • The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Hi there,

Successfully installed an XT disk brake onto a set of Manitu Six's and now trying to connect the rears.

The frame is a Gary Fisher Malin from about 6 years ago. There was both a V brake and disk version sold at the time. This is the V brake one, although there is cable guiding for disks.

This is rear stay area. There are two drilled wholes, but these are about 4mm too close together to fit the Shimano SM-MA-R160p/S bracket.

Is this frame compatible with disks? Is it compatible with the 160 XT's I've got?

Many thanks.

mboy
    Free Member

You need to ring Trek, or a Trek dealership

You need the disc brake adapter from them that many old Gary Fisher and Trek frames used to have to run to be able to use a rear disc brake. I had a Trek Fuel in 2001, and this was the same deal. When I upgraded it to discs, had to ring Trek up to get the part I needed. It wasn't expensive, about £10 or so iirc…

sofatester
    Free Member

Simple answer, in the frames current state – No.

You will need an adaptor that fits the frame, then you will be able to run a disk brake. Find a Gary Fisher dealer and have them sorce one for you, shouldn't be too hard for them if you ask nicly. I had this exact same issue with an old Trek, once you get the part it is easy. Two bolts and away you go, doesn't look that pretty but it does the job.

Get googling! 😀

andydicko
    Free Member

Its called a "Discomount" evans cycles stock them

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

You guys rock as normal.

Something like this then?
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/disco-tech-is-disc-mount-2002-onwards-ec012048?query=Discomount

I'll ask around in Sweden but I feel an Evans order coming on.

Thanks.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

This one?
    Trek did another, even older weird mount.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Installing XT disk brake question’ is closed to new replies.