Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • Innerleithen to get £19 million for MTB bikepark
  • balfa
    Free Member

Exciting times for the tweed valley. Looks like the finding is going ahead! “£13 million will be attributed to the construction of the MTB Innovation Centre Building and £6 million will foot the bill for construction of a bike park.” Seems like the amounts should be the other way around!

£19 million to go to Scottish Innovation Centre and mountain biking mecca

Stevelol
    Free Member

Wow!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Seems like the amounts should be the other way around!

Sounds enterprise based so probably not. This isnt a trail centre hub they’re building.

Good news either way.

big_scot_nanny

Fabulous!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Brilliant news.

Let’s hope they pick a slightly more inspiring location than at the bottom of a hill next to a manky burn for the flagship building….

benv
    Free Member

Have I got deja vu or do they not already have a building just up the road in glentress?

stevie750

This looks like it will be more like buildings used for development rather than the office space and cafe at glentress

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

“Innovation center” sounds more like they want companies to startup or base themselves there rather than a cafe, i.e. the next Hope or Planet-X?

£13million would be a massive warehouse though so there must be more to it?

plus-one

Sounds good pending more info 🙂

thv3
    Free Member

Fabulous 🙂

martinhutch

Borderlands Growth Deal.

Leading to a post-apocalyptic wasteland brimming with mutated, heavily-armed freaks?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Leading to a post-apocalyptic wasteland brimming with mutated, heavily-armed freaks?

Na, inners isn’t in staggering distance of Lanarkshire really.

benv
    Free Member

£13million would be a massive warehouse though so there must be more to it?

Architectural wooden cladding, fancy floor to ceiling windows with built in shades, interpretation boards dotted around the grounds and a few oversized twee quotes stencilled on the walls?

balfa
    Free Member

I worry that the bikepark will fall by the wayside and that the innovation centre could end up being a white elephant that torpedoes any future biking development funding in the Borders/Scotland. I guess 6m won’t go that far in building a bikepark either. What did they spend at bike park Wales? Probably not far off that and it doesn’t include a chairlift.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think it’s quite smart making it industry focused rather than just chasing tourist money again. And creating decent facilities to be used by locals and visitors.

So do I recall that this “bike park” is planned to be at the Golfie rather than where the uplift runs now?

DickBarton

Reread and changed my moan…

scotroutes

I’d also like to see money spread around but sometimes there is only a return if it’s all spent at one location / hub. I don’t know what unemployment rates are like in the area now but those were a major driver in the initial 7 Stanes investment.

onehundredthidiot

They might have waited until after the Scottish borders cycling development group meeting tonight. That’s the rest of the borders screwed.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

How much to buy the golf course and turn it into a car park, got to make sure T5 drivers can park as close as possible to the trails.

stanfree
    Free Member

Can anyone remember the original plans ? , Was it a chairlift to the top of the moor (Lone wolf) . I think Its great news personally as take into account the footfall at GT , Inners and the Golfie over a weekend theres a good chance it could be a success. Im sure the peel build total was around 8 million and gave you Alpine , A large but ultimately dissapointing cafe , toilet block , wildlife room and the forestry offices.
    Still investment can only be good for the area as long as they dont butcher the brilliant Golfie trails.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

IIRC it wasn’t a chair lift, it was basically a roller coaster, and it wasnt golfie side, it was plora side.

matt_outandabout

A shame that inners faces North.

Also a shame that money is not going to be spread around the Borders.

Those concerns aside, this is a Good Thing.

balfa
    Free Member

The original plans were for that side. The latest plans suggest the golfie is the preference now for a chairlift/bikepark.

http://www.dmbins.com/developing/news/key-facts-consultation-evening?fbclid=IwAR0A_m3dDMFYAf93PcPBAx5PYSK3v8ULQNVbyAQ9w_iVUP8HBgKHkuNO7dg

chakaping
    Free Member

Some key points from that DMBinS link…

(Caberston = Golfie BTW)

Location appraisal considers a wide number of factors including; Elevation profile, ownership of land, suitable land for base facilities, relief – ability to get a return to base blue trail in place, trail conflicts and many more factors.

• The current site preference is the front face of Caberston Forest working in full collaboration with the Innerleithen Golf Club.

• A chair lift is considered the most sustainable uplift model due to a host of financial and practical considerations

• The bike park would likely employ 5 full time trail crew, bike patrol staff, operations staff and a full office team. It would also work closely with local businesses to collaborate and avoid competition.

• Full SOAC rights would remain to the site with open access at all times to the trails, only the uplift would be chargeable.

• The bike park would respect the heritage and design of Innerleithen’s trails but would add a handful of machine built bike-park style trails. These would be on a scale and technicality to compete with destinations like Whistler. If Caberston is to be the location early workings indicate no existing trails would need to be lost but some may be altered.

moonsaballoon

I think that was the aim:up project nobeer which i think isn’t part of this .

chakaping
    Free Member

A shame that inners faces North.

Caberston faces west.

benv
    Free Member

Ok, I’m confused. Who are DMBinS in relation to MTBCOS? Is the £6M left in the pot after constructing a £13M innovation centre/building going to pay for a chair lift and the handful new trails to rival Whistler?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

You wouldn’t be the first person to be confused about Dimbits.

matt_outandabout

Caberston faces west

*Blushes*

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think that was the aim:up project nobeer which i think isn’t part of this .

Aye, it’s the only fixed uplift I’d seen touted for the area though.

chakaping
    Free Member

They mention a chairlift is the preferred option for the new Golfie project above too.

moonsaballoon

• Full SOAC rights would remain to the site with open access at all times to the trails, only the uplift would be chargeable.

• The bike park would respect the heritage and design of Innerleithen’s trails but would add a handful of machine built bike-park style trails

Those would cover my main concerns .

i would like to see the thinking behind a chairlift over an uplift , not saying it’s not the better option but surely it comes with its own issues .

Just out of interest does anyone know roughly how high and big BPW is compared to caberston forest ? I haven’t been to BPW but is that the kind of thing we’re talking about here ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A chair lift at caberston would be tremendous tbh, fingers crossed.

bigjim

got to make sure T5 drivers can park as close as possible to the trails.

ermagerd I hope you’re not going to park your povvy T5 next to my T6

richmtb

Just seen this news, a chairlift would be amazing

Just out of interest does anyone know roughly how high and big BPW is compared to caberston forest ? I haven’t been to BPW but is that the kind of thing we’re talking about here ?

It amazing what you can figure out looking at Strava!

Vertical drop at Caberston is about 250-300m for the majority of the trails. Priesthope Hill is about 540m and the Golf Club is about 200m above sea level. Most of the trails start a bit lower than the very top of the hill though.

BPW is pretty similar trails start at 500m and end down at 200-220M

For comparison to Fort Bill the trails there have around a 550m drop (650m down to 100m)

Whistler has 1000m+!

BoardinBob

Interestingly I don’t see any specific mention of a chairlift in this most recent announcement despite that being the original intent of this new initiative. Odds on there’s no chairlift and it’s multiple buses. No way can they build a chairlift and the new trails plus upgrading existing trails for £6 million if it’s apparently costing £13 million for a new building.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Unless the 13 million ‘buildings’ are the chairlift part.

scotroutes

A chair lift is considered the most sustainable uplift model due to a host of financial and practical considerations

From that report

Buildings would be this lot?

Northwind

moonsaballoon

Subscriber

Surprisingly similar. But they feel pretty different just because of how they tend to use the hill (I’m pretty certain that Caberston is a steeper hill.

It really depends what you do with it. FOD’s van uplift is on a fairly pathetic hill, but it still works fantastically as an uplift venue. I used to think you needed a big hill, before I rode there, most runs deliver more than an equivalent run at BPW.

Trekster

Many people get confused by the mention of the Scottish Borders ie this does not include(excludes)Dumfries and Galloway.
    Huge sums of money are mentioned. Remove consultant fees, planning fees, contractor fees and the usual f……. up fees and not a lot will be delivered
    Hope it does
    Would also like to see some Borderlands investment in the D&G trails rather than the rumours that some will be allowed to return back to nature…..
    D&G needs as much investment in its tourism industry as the Borders.
    Will end rant there…….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Innerleithen to get £19 million for MTB bikepark’ is closed to new replies.