Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Injured bird – what to do?
  • stem
    Free Member

I’ve found what I think is a dove in my garden which looks like its tail feathers are all damaged – it tried to fly away when I came close but only managed short hops along the ground despite its wings flapping.

As it’s chucking it down, I’ve put it in a plastic tray covered by a bit of tarp type fabric (it can get out if it wants to) and put that under trees out of the way of the rain (and cats).

Not really sure what else to do. Any suggestions?

Kryton57

bearnecessities

Put it in a metal tray covered with tin foil.

40 mins at 200 degrees.

Other than that, no 🙁

EDIT: Some guidance here

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

put that under trees out of the way of the rain (and cats).

Yep, some trees will keep the cats away….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Buy it a nice umbrella and some wellies.

Drac

What’s it like When Doves Cry?

bearnecessities

Enough of the jokes, there’s no calling for it.

EDIT: No that’s not right, it was turtle doves & calling birds. Ah screw this, I’m going back out into the bloody rain.

fasthaggis

Just bring it inside

globalti
    Free Member

Give its tail a wash with Dove shampoo?

Daffy

If possible, bring it inside and feed and water it for a few days; It may just be in shock.

Birds can fly with a remarkable amount of feathers missing.

Cougar

That’ll put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Don’t the RSPB have advice on their website? Sure someone asked something similar a bit back and that’s what was suggested.

rsmythe
    Free Member

Where are you based? May be difficult due to it being a Sunday but if you’re close to an RSPCA animal hospital and can box the bird, they will fix them up. Happened to me in Birmingham when I found an injured pigeon.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Some maybe useful info here http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/

jonjones262
    Free Member

Sing the Circle Of Life?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Here is my sad tale. Rspca won’t do anything (they said stick in box), bird protection won’t do anything unless it’s a protected birdy.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/help-identifying-injured-bird-and-what-to-do

bruneep

Think 40 mins is too long.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Leave it outside and tell it to BTFU.

As above, the RSPCA will only care if it suits their political aims, and the RSPB aren’t much better.

Drac

Happened to me in Birmingham when I found an injured pigeon.

They may of been humouring you.

stem
    Free Member

Thanks everyone 🙂

Thought this would be in the spirit of the thread 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

LOL at rescuing a pigeon, i’m all for saving raptors, owls and rare songbirds but corvids and other flying vermin can be knocked on the head along with rabbits/foxes. people need to get a sense of perspective when it comes to injured wildlife.

hilldodger
    Free Member

**** it with a spade, is the kindest thing really.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

With due respect, if OP learns that the bird is a hopeless case and needs euthanising, hitting it with a spade will certainly not guarantee an instant or painless death, often quite the opposite.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

and the RSPB aren’t much better.

they’d come round and chop the trees down.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Ah, is poor spade technique then, personally never seen anything survive the spade of doom. Small things straight decapitation, larger maybe stun with the flat side first to make it easier to line up.

rsmythe
    Free Member

LOL at rescuing a pigeon, i’m all for saving raptors, owls and rare songbirds but corvids and other flying vermin can be knocked on the head along with rabbits/foxes. people need to get a sense of perspective when it comes to injured wildlife.

Out of curiosity, what about an owl do you see as more worthy of saving than a pigeon? You’re clearly not viewing the situation from the perspective of the injured bird that was clearly in pain. I think that you need to re-read what you just wrote and get a ‘sense of perspective’ of how much of a prat you sound.

Harris
    Free Member

Put it in a box and send it to Polly Morgan

jambourgie
    Free Member

Phone the police.

globalti
    Free Member

Take it to A&E. They won’t mind.

Drac

hitting it with a spade will certainly not guarantee an instant or painless death, often quite the opposite.

I can’t see being hit on the head with shovel giving it a long and painfree life.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Teach it to swim

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I can’t see being hit on the head with shovel giving it a long and painfree life.

Funny :-/

Teach it to swim

I might be alone here but never did get the ‘killing things = fun’ and ‘wild animals + suffering = humour’ that often seems to run like a vein through these type of threads. Last time I found a wounded pigeon I took it to the vets in a box. They sorted it. Nice people. Other times, ie when saw blackbird hit by a car, i waited until no one around hit it with a brick. Didn’t find it fun or funny at all, it’s a sad thing to my mind but sometimes necessary. My friend’s father used to nurse wild animals and birds back health if he thought it at all possible. He also used to hunt rabbits with ferrets. He was kind to everyone and everything in his life and it really stayed with me especially since he passed on.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

If it’s a collared dove, they’re an invasive. So if you bring it in, it’s illegal to release it.
    A Dove is for life, not just for Christmas.

Drac

Oi! No jokes.

It’s Ok to stove it’s head in with a brick but not shovels, just remember don’t make any jokes while doing it.

jambourgie
    Free Member

He was kind to everyone and everything in his life

Except rabbits…

bearnecessities

To be clear, I was only by joking about roasting it in the oven. I’d pan fry it.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Put it in the wheelie bin it’ll be safe in there 😆

jekkyl

Bucket of water. Few seconds and it’s gone….

*dramatic pause*

….. Then you can pluck it and gut it and have it with a selection of roasted vegetables and red wine.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Blow it up with a bomb.

fasthaggis

OP

How’s it going ,did you hear a fly past?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/LLs-Oreo_bk?t=2m14s[/video]

@2.14

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Injured bird – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.