Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Incredibly tight shoulder blade muscles, how to release?
  • 13thfloormonk

I can’t afford to keep paying for massage, so what else can I do?

I use a heat pack which works OK but is a bit impractical, was going to start having a few hot baths to try and loosen things too. Is there any sort of massage roller you can use on your own back?

I know I need to strengthen/stretch the muscles, but until I release them a bit it just seems to make things worse… 😕

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Get yourself a foam roller and spend a few minutes a day on it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330652041729?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Tebbalot
    Free Member

what about putting a tennis ball on the floor and rolling your back on it? no idea if this will actually work mind

yunki
    Free Member

press-ups.. cider and valium.. pull-ups.. on a three day rotation..

and find out exactly what in your life is causing the stress that it leading to tight shoulder muscles.. then ruthlessly eliminate it..

ojom
    Free Member

My in laws bought me a shiatsu machine i have been intending to get for ages.

I may have bored you on a ride about how screwed my shoulder and back are after accidents and this has meant like you i have to get massage at £millions of pounds.

Works a real treat – never felt better and i can do it when i want, no time off work and no bill. Kapow.

13thfloormonk

Yunki, I’ve been trying a variety of strengthening exercises (super man type arm raises on a gym ball, with/without dumbells) but they seemed to aggravate it. Had thought that press-ups would result in tighter pecs, thus aggravating it as well?

The foam roller looks a lot like the rolled up yoga matt I’m using at the moment, will maybe just continue with that but hadn’t felt it doing any good, maybe not giving it a chance.

Tennis ball idea sounds good, not sure how it would work in practice but I’ll give it a shot!

TBC, what sort of machine is that? Is it like the ‘robo-prostitute from the future’ machine in black books? 😆

If you couldn’t already tell, I’m reluctant to spend any more than necessary, am on a waiting list for NHS physio but another couple of weeks and I might have to go private, d’oh!

13thfloormonk

Think its just bad posture + lots of hours at a desk causing it, I’m already improving posture and seating position but apparently tension like this can be a viscious circle that needs ‘broken’ before you can feel any benefit from improved posture etc.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

The foam roller looks a lot like the rolled up yoga matt I’m using at the moment, will maybe just continue with that but hadn’t felt it doing any good, maybe not giving it a chance.

It will be alot denser and firmer I’d imagine, it’s actually quite uncomfortable at first. I get the odd twinge under my shoulders and you can quite literally iron them out with these.

13thfloormonk

Yep, have just experimented with the cylindrical cardboard outer of a whisky bottle, wrapped in two thick walking socks. Positioned it perpendicular to my spine and slowly rolled up and down on it.

Wasn’t comfortable at all but felt like it might be doing something useful. Going to research foam roller techniques…

13thfloormonk

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/ss/FoamRoller_8.htm%5D

Brilliant, foam roller on the list I think! Thanks for the advice.

schrickvr6
    Free Member
    13thfloormonk

Phew, brisk walk to the local running shops, almost got stung for a £45 ‘Grid’ roller until I noticed the basic £15 jobs next to it.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Come round and see me and i’ll sort them out for free.

13thfloormonk

SBZ, sounds like a good offer, where are you and when suits? 😀

(msg me on FB if you’d rather).

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Message sent.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Incredibly tight shoulder blade muscles, how to release?’ is closed to new replies.