Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Inbred Sliding Drop Out Disc Question
  • robh

Trying to fit discs to a slidey drop out inbred frame, should there be some spacers that go between the frame and brake caliper, if so anyone know what size they should be and where I can get some spares?

gingerss
    Free Member

I think they’re normally called shims. Google ‘hope shims’ or maybe ‘IS brake shims’

The idea is to insert just the right number until the calliper is centred on the disc. You can use a normal washer in there if you need to make up a bit of space but make sure it’s wide enough.

Del

yes, no, and IIRC 2 off M6 nut drilled out will do nicely.
    HTH.

robh

Nut sounds possible it’s not shims as talking about 5mm or something.

gingerss
    Free Member

Interesting. I only needed to use shims on mine.

Del

gingerss,
    call ’em shims if you want. don’t matter what they’re made of or how thick they are. 😀

gingerss
    Free Member

I mean I only had to shim the calliper out about 1.5mm. Maybe the positioning is a bit different depending on production runs etc. 5mm sounds quite a lot so it sounds like a nut would work well. I’d probably want to put a washer either side of it if that’s possible, just to prevent any damage to frame or calliper in case of any movement.

Jason
    Free Member

The frames should be supplied with them, at least they used to be. If you haven’t got them then try On-One, maybe easier than trying to bodge it.

Hicksy
    Free Member

I used the concave and convex washers from some V-brake pads on mine – they worked a treat.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Missuse of the word bodge in this thread

That is all

Carry on

mamadirt
    Free Member

The frames should be supplied with them, at least they used to be. If you haven’t got them then try On-One, maybe easier than trying to bodge it.

I used the concave and convex washers from some V-brake pads on mine – they worked a treat.

Yep, what they said. The frames were supplied with a set of quite wide washers iirc, but I reckon V brake pad washers should do the trick, fine-tuned with thinner disc brake shim spacers.

robh

Gingerss do you have the sliding drop out or the slot?

The sliding drop out with the brake mount on the frame, and the drop-out being separate, did come with spacers but I’ve lost them, On-One don’t have parts for “old” frames.

Hadn’t thought of the V brake washers, may try that if I can’t find anything else.

Thanks!

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I had to make a shim out of a bit of 5mm aluminium, as mine was missing when I bought it.
    You could maybe use an old Disc Brake adapter as a shim, but it might be too thick.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Inbred Sliding Drop Out Disc Question’ is closed to new replies.