Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • I'm really cheesed off with a Classifieds seller
  • TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

If you bought an item on the classifieds and it never showed up what would you expect to happen

Bearing in mind it was sent ordinary post (not recorded) and the buyer has no proof of postage

Would you expect

1) A refund

2) Told to get stuffed

When this has happened to me(twice)I have always refunded the buyer and claimed the money back, in fact I now only sent stuff signed for

This has really pissed me off and just want to know my thoughts are not flawed.

Cheers

househusband

I'd expect the first option; you've paid for the parts to fall through your letterbox – not for the seller to simply post and then waiver all responsibility.

Drac

Refund, if they're too tight to take the responsibility to pay a few £ extra for recorded delivery of some kind then they should expect to refund when problems happen.

grumm
    Free Member

Definitely a refund – it's up to them to claim compensation from the PO and if they didn't get proof of postage then they should suck it up and refund you anyway.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Name and shame.

Whenever I've sold anything in the past, even some bar ends, I've always paid for 'signed for – recorded'

Not that hard is it.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

What value was the item? If it's less than £39 I think the seller can claim a refund if it has gone missing via the receipt he/she would have got if they posted it. Therefore he/she would be able to refund you and claim the money back from the Post Office as well. If the value is higher than £39 not sure what the situation is.

mickasaki
    Free Member

wasn't called Whipit aka terry/john nichols by any chance was it?

grumm
    Free Member

If the value is higher than £39 not sure what the situation is.

They always ask you how much the item is worth and check if you want to insure it for over that amount.

ton

name and shame, then we can all steer clear..

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

They always ask you how much the item is worth and check if you want to insure it for over that amount.

No they don't- I'm only asked this for standard parcels/special delivery.

You can't insure a normal first/second class item past the 100X the value of the relevant stamp cost thats included.

theboatman
    Free Member

If the item is worth less than the £40 I just send it 1st Class, I've only ever had one item not turn up, and I just refunded the chap his money, on the grounds I can make a claim later. Fortunately, a week later it did turn up, and the chap did the decent things and let me know and paid up. Without, gathering the full mob, naming and shaming would be good,just so the rest of us can avoid them in future.

I'm must admit to losing faith in the classifieds, seeing the 2 sellers banging out dealextreme lights for well over the odds, I get the feeling it's becoming more like the 'bay, but better for sellers as they can still price well over the odds and avoid the fee's. In the last month, I have seen items I've sold to folk being sold on for more than I sold them for originally. Don't get me wrong, if people will pay then that's what it's worth, perhap's I just need to be more more hard nosed about it all.

grantway
    Free Member

I would expect a refund as the seller should have insured the
    items posted.
    Even when I send stuff back to say CRC I ask how much to
    insure the item I am posting.

You can always ask for the reciept of sender to prove
    he/she had sent the item.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Only a trifling sum for a couple of CD's, but it has just peed me off that anyone on here could act so mean spirited especially with no proof of postage.
    This sort of reply is not what I expect from a fellow biker

If you'd wanted insured post or recorded post then you should have said so. I wont refund this. I have to trust to what you have said and for all I know you could have them and just be pulling the wool over my eyes. I dont think you have but as I said if you'd wanted come back on post then you should have requested insured/recorded.

I am sorry but wont do that or anything like that

Not into naming and shaming, but you know who you are and hope the above comments make you realise who is in the right from a moral point of view.
    Happy Christmas

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Is it a regular? At the end of the day, you paid for something which didn't arrive. Seeing as its the seller who deals with Royal Mail with regards to claims, theres not much you can do- so this is not the right approach to trading on here!

billybob
    Free Member

I have to trust to what you have said and for all I know you could have them and just be pulling the wool over my eyes.

Exactly the reason why I always send everything via recorded so there is always a signature, I do this to protect me as much as the buyer.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Tbh, the seller is bang out of order. You only have his word that he put your stuff in the post at all. If he's posted it the parcel will have a proof of posting and insurance up to 100x value of postage stamp so he won't loose out. He should refund and then claim back from RoyalMail.

I always send recorded as it gives me peace of mine that the buyer won't try anything on.

grantway
    Free Member

Think you need to say who it is has unfare if this
    person trys it again on someone else.

grumm
    Free Member

If you'd wanted insured post or recorded post then you should have said so. I wont refund this. I have to trust to what you have said and for all I know you could have them and just be pulling the wool over my eyes. I dont think you have but as I said if you'd wanted come back on post then you should have requested insured/recorded.

That's total BS. Name and shame.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Name and shame.

easy to do if you check t-taxi's user activity.

Interestingly the other person hasn't posted on STW for the last two weeks, is he running scared or scarpered off?

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

Name and shame.

Could save somebody else on here having a similar problem with him.

Also – contact the seller and give him the link to this thread – then he can see what others think of what he's done.

Cheers

nbt

odd, I've had a few CDs off him and have never had any problems (in fact both times he's slipped in extra CDs that I hadn;t asked for!) but yes, it's the responsibility of the seller to make sure postage is insured, you should price accordingly rather than leave the option to the buyer

mickasaki
    Free Member

How much would it have been insured? no more than a couple of quid FFS. not going to break the bank is it! Why not just put the price of postage on the item in the first place when listing it. If its still a good price, someone will buy it!

chakaping
    Free Member

That's very poor show. As if you've going to "pull the wool over his eyes" for a couple of poxy CDs?

Jammy111
    Free Member

I think that if the asking price is paid, then the item should be insured as this is what you would expect to be included in the price.

However if the price has been haggled down then i wouldn't expect an item to be insured; and it is the buyers prerogative to ensure that it is, or be aware that if it doesn't turn up they have no come back…

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Rich, I have no problem with naming myself. I sold an number of my CDs on here and all the others have received them.

I've bought and sold in classifieds without any problem for ages. I am not a trader. Just a private person raising funds from stuff I don't need.

From my side of this standard postage was all I was offering and if you wanted something recorded or insured you could have said when the sale was agreed. You didn't. Most of the postage prices I gave actually made me loose money as I underestimated on how much it would cost.P

Like yourself I have no proof that you have received these and aren't just pulling me for the cash.

The fact you have come on a forum to slag me off really just inclines me to be more reluctant to help out… I wasn't inclined to but am even less inclined now. A few years ago I bought a stereo in the same way and it never showed. Now if something is so important I always ask for insured postage. In eBay and online it is buyer beware and if you as a buyer want insured delivery then you should ask. I am not responsible for royal mail and can't be held responsible.

I know I'll get people who don't agree with what I've said here but in the end of days, I've sent them, as requested fulfilled what I said I would do. , you had chance to say you wanted insured postage, you didn't, I am sorry they haven't showed up but there's nothing I can do to help and frankly think they'll show up once Xmas post resolves itself.

You seem intent to whip up a storm in public. I think that's a great shame. I certainly won't sell to you again but I wouldn't have created this rubbish.

Guys, lots of rock CDs still for sale. Specify what postage you want.

fivespot
    Free Member

If he sent the items 1st class, then his receipt is his insurance if the total value was less than £39.

One thing to bare in mind this time of year when posting items, is that the Post Office employs extra casual labour (read into that what you want) to cover the huge increase in items being posted this month. The result (as I learnt 1st hand one recent December ) is an increase in missing post !!

grumm
    Free Member

From my side of this standard postage was all I was offering and if you wanted something recorded or insured you could have said when the sale was agreed.

Sorry that's bollocks. He paid for you to get the stuff to him, not just to put it in the post.

And you can get proof of postage which would allow you to claim against the PO without sending stuff recorded or insured.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Well, I think you've let yourself down there – the OP tried quite hard not to name and shame, and hasn't slagged you off either. Poor show.

grumm
    Free Member

In eBay and online it is buyer beware

Actually if it was ebay then they would side with the buyer and refund them their money.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

With all these type of transactions, the buyer & seller have reached an agreement. The buyer to give the seller money for the goods and the seller to give the buyer the goods in exchange for the money.

It is the sellers responsibility to give the goods to the buyer. The seller may choose to use another party (such as RM) to get the goods to the buyer, but this does not change the responsibility.

Simply put, if the buyer pays the seller and the seller fails to get the goods to the buyer for ANY reason, then the seller is at fault. End of

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Grumm not bollocks at all. I said I would post them, I didn't gaurrentee any service level from royal mail … Who in their right minds would?

grumm
    Free Member

Ok so why did you not get a (free) receipt which would allow you to claim from RM?

I said I would post them

How does he know you've posted them if you have no proof of postage?

daveb
    Free Member

You are legally obliged for the sale until the buyer gets the item, if this is only a few pounds then you dont even have to pay for proof of postage which covers you to about £32.

Personally I think the buyer hasnt done anything wrong, he seems to have contacted you a few times, you havent responded in the way you should and he asked for advice on here without naming you – someone else did.

Your attitude in the way you have dealt with this would stop me buying from you, I have had stuff go missing that I have sent to people on here before (only twice though and I do buy/sell quite a bit), on both occasions I refunded the buyers – I always get proof of postage or insurance though at the price I quote in the ad.

Wheres your xmas spirit – give the chap a refund and claim against the PO 😉

woffle
    Free Member

it's a contract for the cds, not for the posting of the cds. Simple. The buyer has given you money in exchange for them, the means in which you get them to him is wholly irrelevant – you entered into a contract with RM to deliver them FOR YOU, not for the seller.

It'd be different if you said – "buy my cd's and arrange your own P&P, by-the-way I'm happy to pay RM on your behalf to send them on but it's your responsibility…"

soobalias
    Free Member

"its the sellers responsibility…….."

doesnt that only apply to business?
    and given the classifieds 'apparently' doesnt allow traders……. both parties need to think carefully about what they are doing.

split the difference and kiss and make up.

convert

I'm 100% with the buyer and always assumed the law was too, and certainly have always acted in this way myself.

If I was an admin type I would make the use of registered delivery mandatory when items are going to be posted after being sold on classified and make it 100% clear where the responsibility is in the guidance. If you didn't like the rules, sell or buy elsewhere.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Nothing to add really,the replies say it all

Didn't appreciate the won't sell to you again remark though

You have got the cash, don't take the piss out of me too if you don't mind

druidh
    Free Member

ti_pin_man – Member

Guys, lots of rock CDs still for sale. Specify what postage you want.

🙄 Like that's gonna happen

grumm
    Free Member

Grumm not bollocks at all. I said I would post them, I didn't gaurrentee any service level from royal mail … Who in their right minds would?

You still haven't explained why you didn't get proof of postage. I certainly wouldn't buy anything off you now.

walla24
    Free Member

atleast cough up half, end on level terms?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘I'm really cheesed off with a Classifieds seller’ is closed to new replies.