Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Am I going to look ghey driving a VW Eos?
  • postierich
    Free Member

Other half takes delivery of her/our new car on Friday after discussions I thought the eos looks the most manley of the convertibles out there in the price range so persuaded her that way.
    I,ve specced it with 18″ alloys Red leather,2.0 Tdi on the days I have to drive am I best keeping the top up to avoid abuse or let the wind blow through my beard.

Awaiting abuse

Rich

Flaperon

Abuse about the car or the beard?

simonralli2
    Free Member

I’ve never quite understood what the EOS is – is it the convertible golf but with a different name? I think I missed the launch so never heard all about it.

nickc

Yes, you will.

rickmeister

With a red leather interior, it will be like sitting in an S&M boudoir,

Reluctant
    Free Member

It’s a lovely car! Wish i could afford one……….

postierich
    Free Member

Thought the red leather was quite discreet!
    In a pewter grey

ski
    Free Member

Never liked any of the VW open tops, sorry, even the mk1 cabo Golf looked clumsy.

PR, have you seen the new Golf GTI, with the throwbacks to the MK1?

Now that I do like, if only I had that sort of money 😉

New GTi

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Not gay,just an old woman.Yet another dreary vee dub…..Now the Scirocco is a bit more like it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tut tut – get in touch with your feminine side and get a proper ghey car

esdel
    Free Member

Lovely car, but word of warning,

Ensure you have it maintained at a vw dealer, get the service book stamped on time, DO NOT GO FOR LONG LIFE SERVICEING, MAKE SURE IT’S TIME AND DISTANCE.

and ensure you extend the warrenty in three years time,

Other than that it will be fine.

RepacK
    Free Member

Thats a nice motor but the looks are a little soft – needs butching up a little. But I guess it depends, do you shave yer legs??? 😈

andywhit
    Free Member

Just a bit more ghey.

postierich
    Free Member

Will be getting it serviced by vw as its new and will be doing @ least 480 miles a week due to her commute,the seals on the hard top roof have caused problems on certain cars but hopefully its been sorted now,repack whats this shaving you talk of?

RepacK
    Free Member

Dont know buddy – summit I saw on YoofTube, some bloke called Cavendish going quick on a funny skinny looking bike 😉

esdel
    Free Member

they wont ever sort it, its a desin characteristic, they will just repair and repair and repair.

Hence why you must ensure it has the ability to get its extended warrenty.

Peregrine
    Free Member

A simple answer is what you need, Yes you will. 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

A dizzle convertable. Oh dear Rich… Keep the roof up. Always.

And does anyone else think the Eos is crying out for a subtle little boot lip spoiler?

But a dizzle convertable… oh no no no no no no.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Keep a paper bag handy to pop on your head in case you see anyone you know. Oh and put a sticker on the back pointing out that it is your wife’s car 🙂

baldSpot
    Free Member

sorry – only women look good driving convertibles.

men driving them are almost always bald, almost always have a middle age spread and always looking a reet freekin’ to$$er.

enjoy! 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hahahaaaa!
    We’ve just spent 2 months with my mother in laws Eos, so I reckon I can chuck my oar in here.

Now, don’t get me wrong, when the sun’s out and the roof’s down, it’s fantastic. A great feeling.

But
    They shake and rattle quite badly, even for a convertible. Noticeably a not very stiff chassis
    The doors shut with a cheap hollow clang.
    Some of the trim is very cheap looking
    The roof creaks a bit when it’s up
    The windscreen surround is very thick and the sun visors are ALWAYS in the way when the roof’s down.
    Not much headroom (Unless the roof’s down) and I’m only 5’8″…
    The diesel engine doesn’t suit the car at all. (Diesel + sportscar = WRONG) And it’s a heavy old lump.
    A workmate called it a hairdressers car (It’s black!) if the image bothers you!

It’s a lovely car! Wish i could afford one……….

Don’t bother. Dream of something else.

If that’s how all modern VWs feel, I’m glad we just bought a Focus.
    And I do like my VWs. I’ve had 4, all good cars, but not this one.

Gary_M
    Free Member

red leather – you’ll look like an absolute screamer darling. What were you thinking?

40mpg

My wife’s got new beetle cabriolet. I drive it with the top down and the flower still in position. I’m comfortable with my sexuality whichever way it may go ;o)

dooge
    Free Member

Peterpoddy, My parents have just bought a second hand Eos with 60k on the clock, and it dosent clang or creak whatsoever. It holds the road very well for a convertible! Its rated as one of the better handling convertibles because its built on a chassis and floorplan that designed for that car only rather than bodge-ified from a saloon/small family car.

TDi lump is heavy,but has plenty of torque and power. It seems to hold its own against most things on the road. Roof can be expensive when electrics go, but being German they are all pretty reliable. Trim is not bad, better than my dads work Astra. There will always be small little bits on a car with so many moving parts, but my parents has seemed to be pretty good so far.

They will always be a little ghey, purely down to the fact its a convertible. But its the better one of the lot!

And you can fit a Bike rack on it easily!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Any man in a convertible looks a bit ghey 😀 And in scotchland where you get dry days once a blue moon…deary me.

neilb67
    Free Member

I guess it will make throwing, sorry, posting your letters through letter boxes easier.. 😀

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

480 miles a week commute and youve bought that? Money to burn….? 😉

Del

sorry, but i would have gone for the mx5

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Dooge, the Eos we borrowed (it belongs to my mother in law) has about 8k on the clock. One of the doors simply doesn’t fit properly. You can feel it’s not hitting the catch high enough. The other feels ‘hollow’. There’s no solid ‘thud’ when you shut it. 🙁
    With the roof up or down, chuck it into a corner and I can feel the chassis flex (Look at where the roof joins the front pillars and you can see it move sometimes, too). It’s OK at say 50-70% of it’s capability, but push any harder and it starts to fade. Get to where the traction control starts to cut in on anything other than a perfectly smooth surface and it’s all over the place at times.
    There’s no lift-off oversteer either. It feels ‘safe’ but the handling certainly doesn’t sparkle and make you feel good. But that’s just me, and it could be the heavy diesel lump weighing it down. I like to be able to adjust the attitude of a car on the throttle, like a Mk 1 or 2 Golf GTi. Lovey. 🙂
    On the plus side, nicely weighted steering, lots of grip in real terms, corners nice and flat, plenty enough power, lovely interior.
    Hit a bad bit of road and the whole thing shudders. It might have been designed as a convertible, it might well be the best in it’s class, but compared to our Focus it feels just a bit shoddy. This one has all the kit too, leather & lots of toys.
    Sunny day, roof down, steady cruise? Superb can’t fault it. Makes you feel a million bucks 🙂
    Sports car? Nahh. Not capable enough: For well over £20K I expect better myself….

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Trim is not bad, better than my dads work Astra

No sh*t Sherlock… In my experience (yes, MY experience of being a past owner), Vauxhall interiors are some of the worst I’ve ever come across in any car. Its as if they have a huge stockpile of cheap plastic and NEED to use it in everything.

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s funny, somebody came down our cul-de-sac to turn around this morning in one of these.

I don’t like to reinforce negative stereotypes, but there are quite a few hairdressers’ shops nearby.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

its a car for puffs…should of got a diesel focus and a convertable TVR chimera…

postierich
    Free Member

You lot have gone soft!

Expecting a bit more abuse than that,who gives a **** what it rides like its all about the looks isnt it?

Its pretty economical for a csc 58 extra urban 49 combined 38 urban.

Any thats Saschas midlife crisis buy out the way time for me to have my perfect build Ti SS

Harry_the_Spider

Military dictators are the only blokes that look good in convertibles.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Sadly, I think the red leather will have pushed it over the edge in terms of gheyness. I guess you may just get away with it if you keep the roof on at all times, but that rather defeats the idea. Mind you, I drive an MR2 (black leather!) so don’t listen to anything I say.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

480 miles a week commute and youve bought that? Money to burn….?

I get 60+mpg out of my golf with the same engine

rich – you’ll look proper queer but i’m sure that won’t bother you.

as regards rattling/cheap feeling, i’ve found much the same comparing our 2000 Passat and ’55 Golf, it just feels a lot less solid, definitely a decline in VW build quality.

dooge
    Free Member

Peter, yeh I would agree with you on most of that. I havent been in that many times but havent got that much amazing stuff to compare it too. They paid £10.5k and would never spend over double that on a car! Personally, Id go for a second hand A4 2.7 TDi estate…

shinsplints

When’s the new salon open then Rich ? 😉

mikertroid
    Free Member

You WILL look gay. Fact.

headfirst
    Free Member

no no you’ll be fine – my boss got a MGF convertible recently, he looks really butch when he drives it, especially if he’s wearing his lovely bright orange puffa jacket that he cherishes 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Am I going to look ghey driving a VW Eos?’ is closed to new replies.