Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • I'm having my knee operated on tomorrow
  • Karinofnine

My dog crashed into my leg last year and broke my knee cap. That's healed, although it has a bump on it now, but I don't mind. At the same time I got a meniscal tear and damage to the cartilage behind my knee cap and that's what is being fixed tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it (well, to being able to train properly again).

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

a big dog then ?

binners

Jesus!! How hard is your dog?!!!! Has it also caused structural damage to your house?!!!

Good luck with it. Mate of mine is in for a knee op in a couple of weeks. He's dreading it as he'll be layed up for a while. I pity his poor wife. He's going to insufferable

Terrydactyl

Well, it must be the that time of the year as I have my Arthoscopy on Monday.
    My knee is really knackered and needs sorting.

But I hate the idea of the op (Oh well).

badnewz
    Free Member

good luck karin, speedy recovery please

Karinofnine

She's a big, nervous, Dobermann. She was introducing herself to a piglet, lost her nerve, whirled around to bolt, and bolted straight into me.
    She's eaten most of my home – what was left after she'd weed everywhere.

Insufferable? That's my default condition 😆

Thanks Stephen, the surgeon said one week off work, six weeks off hard biking. I will speak to him again tomorrow but I imagine I will be able to go on the turbo trainer, although I appreciate that I then run the risk of dying of boredom.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If its anything like mine………..

Demand crutches!

I was told I'd walk out that afternoon

In reality I walked out, and felt fine, but by that evening I was in agony.

The next two weeks passed in a haze of pain killers.

Buy some liquid skin (or other liquid plastic plaster stuff) and use that, plater over the top of that and you can go swimming to aliviate the boredome.

As a guide:

2 weeks – pain subsides

1 month – started swimming

2 months – enough movement to get the leg over TDC on the turbo, still too painfull to do anythign though

3 months – first road ride

4 months – 100 mile sportive

5-10 months – regretting gettign back into bikes so soon.

10-20 months – doing eff all and waiting for the doc to stop saying "give it more time"

20-months onwards – the odd twinge but its prety much back to normal, just have to remember to stretch before and after a ride and sometimes mid way through if something feels tight.

Karinofnine

I had the operation yesterday. I felt really dopey all day and still feel a bit fuzzy.

My knee doesn't hurt at all, which is weird because all the healthcare peeps I saw yesterday were actually wincing when they talked about it.

I remember it hurting like hell in the recovery room and I remember the anaesthetist saying he was going to shove loads of local into it, so maybe he did and it hasn't worn off yet.

There was fluid in it and the surgeon was going to make an external incision to drain it, in the event he did something internal. When I do the bending exercise it makes a revolting squishing noise. YUK.

Thisisnotaspoon – that's ages! I hope you're ok now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘I'm having my knee operated on tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.