Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • If you were a Flat Earther…..
  • richardkennerley

I’m watching behind the curve on Netflix (in small chunks on my lunch break, not quite made it to the end yet.)

There’s a lot of questions need answering, but if you were a flat Earther, would you not really want to travel to the end of the earth and see what’s there!!?

Surely there’s enough believers out there now that they could crowd fund an expedition to the end of the earth, take some photographs of the ice wall to show everyone, maybe tap on the dome if there is one, or peer over the edge!?

Or more realistically, surely they’ll soon be able to afford a trip with Richard Branson or Elon to see the curvature with their own eyes?

CountZero

Or more realistically, surely they’ll soon be able to afford a trip with Richard Branson or Elon to see the curvature with their own eyes?

But they wouldn’t, they’d claim that what they were seeing was just something computer generated and shown on screens, not windows.
    I’m not sure they’d even believe their own eyes if they went up twenty thousand feet in an open balloon basket and could see the curvature of the earth!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’d jump off the edge.

DickBarton

Careful, some people reading that might start the crowdfunding! 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d go and have a look under I mean it would look awesome!

Kuco

Wouldn’t it just look flat?

Klunk
    Free Member

Berners-Lee has a lot to answer for!

richardkennerley

Wouldn’t it be great though. They’d either come back and have to admit yeah, there’s no edge, or they’re going to come back with the most amazing footage and images!

jam-bo

Have you got to the bit with the laser gyro yet? That’ll tell you all you need to know about the response.

funkmasterp

Is that documentary worth a watch? Have it on my list, but not got around to it yet. They’re quite crazy aren’t they, just refusing to accept facts

jam-bo

Well worth it.

richardkennerley

Have you got to the bit with the laser gyro yet? That’ll tell you all you need to know about the response

Yeah, seen that, I’ve just got the last 15 mins or so to watch.

The other thing I was pondering…. If there really is a dome, how big would it actually be and would it be physically possible to construct such a structure? And who made it?

Drac

Yeah, seen that, I’ve just got the last 15 mins or so to watch.

Oh you’re in for a treat.

nickc

Have you got to the bit with the laser gyro yet?

Or the “experiment” at the end with torches…

If anything, all the documentary reveals is that they’re not really interested in science, they’re interested in being flat eathers.

jam-bo

I think the guy with the lasers & torches was losing the faith…

The main fella I think had lost the faith early on but liked the attention.

stuey
    Free Member
    CountZero

The other thing I was pondering…. If there really is a dome, how big would it actually be and would it be physically possible to construct such a structure? And who made it?

Dyson sphere. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere

mattyfez

Yeh the cruise thing is properly funny.

“let’s have a weird get together” No one mention how navigation works.

mattyfez

Dyson sphere

‘Hypothetical’ and ‘thought experiment’ mentioned in the first paragraph.

Lol

bigblackshed

Dyson sphere

He can’t even make a decent vacuum cleaner. Why do you think he could have made a mahooosive dome?

😉

leeroysilk
    Free Member

I gave this a lot of thought once. Just imagine if they were right and the Earth was indeed flat!
    Would it change anything? Nope… As you were people of planet Earth, be it flat or round it doesn’t really matter.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

leeroysilk

It would just change the nature of reality, the laws of physics, everything we’ve learned about the universe and ourselves over the last few hundred years.

All of that really doesn’t matter to you?

Takes all sorts I guess.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

eat_the_pudding

leeroysilk

It would just change the nature of reality, the laws of physics, everything we’ve learned about the universe and ourselves over the last few hundred years.

All of that really doesn’t matter to you?

Takes all sorts I guess.

Depends, even people who paid attention in school can be very blinkered to new ideas.

Take the idea of freak waves, there was an article in a science publication (well, a magazine, not a research journal) not so long ago that showed how freak waves could occur when two swells meet at a specific angle.

The comments were then filled with vitriolic explanations about how it was all wrong and simply constructive interference and that they’d been taught this in school, weren’t these scientists paying attention?

Understanding physics/chemistry/maths/biology and understanding science are different things. I don’t think the school curriculum really gets that point across. We’re taught to hypothesise, design an experiment, collect results and draw conclusions. But not to go any further because you’ve got a class of 30 kids with the same conclusion, which isn’t how science works (its just chemistry/physics/biology).

It’s like the moment in a-level chemistry when you figure out that not only are electrons both wave and particle but also not orbiting in spheres, and that their orbits aren’t fixed even within the orbitals. Basically throwing GCSE physics and chemistry out of the window and starting again with a new model!

GCSE history is more scientific than double science. Youre taught to evaluate sources and present an argument. Science you’re just taught that everything in the book is a fact. It’s no wonder some people then treat it like others treat religion.

mjsmke

I’d happily contribute towards a trip into space to show them they’re wrong. But wont contribute to the cost of bringing them back.

PrinceJohn

If you go the edge do you just pop out on the other side like Pac-Man

fasthaggis

I’d go and have a look under I mean it would look awesome!

Mike,it would be amazeballs.
    planet view

RobHilton
    Free Member

It would just change the nature of reality, the laws of physics

You haven’t grasped the meaning behind leeroysilk’s post

taxi25
    Free Member

Indeed, which was would it actually change how we in practice live our lives ?

richardkennerley

Indeed, which was would it actually change how we in practice live our lives ?

I suppose the important thing to flat earthers is to prove there’s some sort of global conspiracy and there’s some sort of sinister group in control of everything. But even if that was proposed to be true, i’m pretty sure if still be going to work everyday, I’d be going for a ride when I can, I’d still be a married father of one. So there’s important stuff wouldn’t change!!

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe some went on a trip to the ice wall years ago… and they just keep going…

mjsmke

If you go the edge do you just pop out on the other side like Pac-Man

Only if you collect spherical glaciers at the edge.

fasthaggis

Maybe some went on a trip to the ice wall years ago… and they just keep going…

Wait till they meet the first White Walker 😉

ice wall

franksinatra

The problem with most big conspiracies is that they depend on high level international cooperation.
    We can’t even agree tariffs on underpants coming into the UK after 29th Mar. How on (flat) earth would any one coordinate a big international conspiracy?

ta11pau1

Don’t forget that they fine with every other planetary object in the inuverse being a sphere, but the Earth is special and must be flat.

A lot of it comes from the inability to comprehend that we humans are equivalent to tiny specks of insignificant dust compared to everything else in the universe, and the world/solar system does not revolve around us.

kcr
    Free Member

If anything, all the documentary reveals is that they’re not really interested in science, they’re interested in being flat eathers.

Yes, I don’t think they actually believe the earth is flat. It’s more about demonstrating they are they are iconoclastic and more intelligent than everyone else because they are prepared to question the received orthodoxy that most of us just accept. The problem is that their arguments just aren’t as clever as they like to think.

dissonance

weren’t these scientists paying attention?

On the flip side from what I remember reports of rogue waves were mostly dismissed for a long time since the models used showed them as extremely unlikely. It was only after an oilrig with unusually good monitoring got hit by one that the scientists started reexamining the models used.
    So those people might just be remembering what they were taught as absolute fact in the past.

A while back was listening to an audiobook about prehistory. It was a few years old but generally not too bad aside from one glaring problem. The author kept saying about how new evidence may emerge and that this or that interpretation might change with one exception. On neanderthal and homo sapiens interbreeding he was clear that it had been ruled out.

richardkennerley

I’ve just watched the final 15 minutes! 🤣😂

ThePinkster

They’d either come back and have to admit yeah, there’s no edge,

And when they did they’d then be accused of being part of the conspiracy.

fasthaggis

On telly the other night,they were promoting the MET’s celebration of the Apollo 11 mission in photographs.Some great Earthrise shots that would have the flat thinkers frothing.

Earthrise

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

rob hilton, taxi25
    “would it actually change how we live our lives”
    It wouldn’t; for a particular subset of people.

That subset includes excludes anyone who;
    Likes to see the sun and moon rise and set
    Appreciates the passing of the seasons
    Likes to watch the stars at night
    Appreciates the presence of gravity
    Ever needs to navigate anywhere
    and a host of other things.

I guess it could include anyone whose definition “living your life” amounts to nothing more than turning food and oxygen into fertiliser.

But if you want to live your life like a waterbuffalo, after having the good fortune to be born in an era (last few 100 years) where we’ve finally developed the tools and ideas to see how things really work, then please carry on 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘If you were a Flat Earther…..’ is closed to new replies.