• This topic has 67 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ajr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • If you was gonna buy a tough bstard full susser, and you was big…………….
  • ton

what would you get. ❓

IA

A nicolai, 5 year warranty and they build them strong. And they’ll build most of them stronger if you ask (e.g. put the stays off the beefier FR models on the XC ones instead etc. or even full custom with different tubeset).

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

What style of riding Ton?

crispybacon
    Free Member

one of these maybe 😉

slowrider
    Free Member

depends a lot on how much travel you are looking at i guess but im pretty chuffed with the maxle rear end on my five which stiffens stuff up pretty good. not sure how much pressure a rp23 can take, i run mine at 180psi and im about 13 stone. i reckon that might be a good excuse to go for a cane creek shock on a five or possibly an alpine 160.

i had a blur 4x which was tough and stiff but i found it a little too short and the seat angle was pretty slack. im 6ft so if you are as tall or taller than me i wouldnt go for one of them.

maybe a nicolai? they are pretty over-engineered arent they?

ton

si_brodiebikes
    something to learn to be a bit braver on.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Bullit Tony…

Go on, you know you want to… :mrgreen:

hicksville
    Free Member

titus el gaupo or old supermoto

schwimoid
    Free Member

One of these bad boys!

http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/products/can-can

Got a 2007 lucky and its **** ace!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Or

The Fly

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

Do you mean trail bike or DH bike?

If a trail bike, of course i am biased, but i think the Chumba XCL, 140 rear travel will take upto 160mm up front, VERY tough, even for a big bloke and laterally very stiff, choose a coil DHX and bingo, perfect!

Or the EVO, not everyones cup of tea and a bit of an ugly duckling, but again really stiff and super tough 6″ travel, some of the Chumba race team have even raced DH on them.

Both frames use large oversized conventional tubing with over sized inverted bottom brackets for a really stiff frame. Plus i can do both frames for just under 1K at the moment.

benjag
    Free Member

I’m not quite as big as you (16st) but just got an Ibis Mojo, and it’s **** wicked! Just need the lyriks to go with it too.

ton

i had a heckler in size xl last year, fitted with 140 mm forks.
    i felt like i was being pitched over the front on steep downs.
    i figure if i get a set of 160mm fox talas 36 fitted to a similar type of bike i should be ok.

is my thinking correct??????????

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

Putting longer forks on will help, as will having a slacker HA, which a longer fork will help with, just make sure the frame you choose is corrected for a longer fork.

benjag
    Free Member

I’ve just come from an XL heckler too! I fancied some more sophisticated suspension and found it with the DW link.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

I had a large 05 enduro with 36r’s, felt great on the down’s, and fine for general “trail riding” (im 6’2 ‘n’ a bit, but a mere 15 stone)

The review in the mag of the Heckler mk2 (that’s the “not the new one” I think) suggested that a soft fork would exacerbate diving issues etc or something…I would agree with that totally. Mine felt like shit until I put a firm spring in the fork. An old 36r, or I guess a Talas, would be perfect for it.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Ton. I’m riding an XL meta 5.5, and don’t ever feel like I’m getting pitched over the bars, however, I’m getting fat bastid blowing through the travel problems.

I think you should buy one, stick a coil shock on it, and tell me if it works 🙂

jam-bo

i’d just buy the one with the best warranty and beast it.

benjag
    Free Member

exactly, 3 yrs on the Ibis!

hicksville
    Free Member

supermoto from titus then Ton great handling bike, very very confidence inspiring quick review here

http://www.spokewrench.com/spokewrench/2007/10/titus-super-mot.html

or see the el guapo review in singletrack.

Had the bullit in the past and never really got on with it, tbh it is a bit limited

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Tony, you’ve seen my Heckler with 36’s..

And yes, you are right..- it’s awesome..

ton

nick, you are phsycic……..
    but anyone tried a patriot……..

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Heh heh.

What about a Morewod?

mildred

He had his chance with a supermoto and didn’t take it!

Anyway, enough of my whingeing, most single pivots are good for “sitting back” into their travel when it gets steep. I sold my patriot to a mate last year and realy missed it, so ended up with another. That one had dhx air shock and 36’s and was only 30lb including pedals but could take a right beasting, so good for all day, and for going daft – I did the mega on it last year and it carried so much speed through the switchbacks and woods compared to a mate’s 224.

The great thing about the Patriot is that you can alter the head angle; slack for Alps style riding,then steeper for normal stuff.

duckers
    Free Member

I would go for something with a coil spring rather than air if your a big dude and your gonna be throwing it about a bit, same for forks, get pikes or something more robust.

bigsi
    Free Member

Ton – I’m the same weight and height as you and ride a Blur LT (older model), **** awesome. Had the shock tuned by Mojo to stop it pushing through the travel and the RP23 will take 300psi without any probs. Had a slight feeling of twisting at the rear end initially but had a beefier piviot linkage made up and now its as stiff as ****.

Great bike IMO

ton

i run a rp23 on the ventana, initially at 300psi, i have dropped it to 270psi and it feels a lot nicer.
    i will be building my new project up with a coil shock.

hicksville
    Free Member

ildred has a good point on the patroit but I am not a single pivot fan

ton

i know what a single pivot is, but what type of suspension is my ventana??

Seggons
    Free Member

another vote for a ventana
    phwoar.

morewoods are pretty nifty, i like commencals too 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

IF ???

hicksville
    Free Member

isn’t a ventana a faux bar or single pivot with a rocker.

ianpinder
    Free Member

ton go with a nicolai, i’m 6ft 4 and well over 20stone, but my nicolai helius fr last year was really good, untill it got nicked. however just oredered a nicolai helius st, the main reason was that i could run a 2.5inch stroke shock and only have 160mm rear travel so you could have a low leverage ratio and run a light spring reducing pressure on the shock. nicolai have a few frames which you could do this. a helius st with a totem would be good, or mybe the am with a fox 36 would also be nice

ton

ianpinder
    what poundage shock will you run on it.

Daffy

Nomad

Eccles
    Free Member

Norco.

Mine scares me.

DeanoT
    Free Member
    ianpinder
    Free Member

ton

i will run 800lb but i am well into the 20s

ton

ian i ran 800lbs on the heckler.
    it felt great on the rear on descents….
    gonna have a little peek at the nicolai site……….just a peek tho… 😉

ianpinder
    Free Member

i had a cove gspot which has the same leverage ratio as the heckler and i needed 1200lb which i couldnt get so i had to sell it

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘If you was gonna buy a tough bstard full susser, and you was big…………….’ is closed to new replies.