Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • If You Haven't Got Anything Nice To Say Dont Say Anything At All…………….
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

When did we get this negative?

Every question/comment on here seems to degenerate into a troll-fest/swearing/slanging match/name calling!

Started a thread this morning as my spanniel was put to sleep last night, and any dog owners will know how messed up that leaves you, in amidst the nice sentaments theres a reply from someone who clerly doesn't like dogs, why bother posting?

Just read a thread where the OP asked what an orange 5 frame weighs. Withing a few posts he's being sworn at for careing about frame weight (whilst in the same paragraph being told he needs propedal, but thats a different argument entirely).

Do STW'ers really swear, bellittle, stir an argument with friends, coleagues and complete strangers as often as they do on here? I always liked this forum as it's a bit more 'grown up' than MBUK and SDH, but recently it reads more like the transcript of a primarly school playground spat!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I've just had a nice cup of Yorkshire tea and some yummy plain chocolate digestives.

Briefly, I was very happy.

Tonght, after I get home, I'm planing on listening to one of my favourite CD's on my lovely HiFi system which, although being very expensive, gives me a great deal of pleasure…

Admiralable
    Free Member

I used to come on here about 5 or 6 years ago and it was really nice. Loads of fun when there's 1000+ post threads about nothing at all to see how long it takes before its closed. Then it started to get more Cliquey and I left.

Came back because I was bored at work one day and started lurking again. It's not the same warm welcoming atmosphere as it used to be. Although its better than MBUK used to be.

I know how you feel about the dog. Both our cats I had to take to be put down cos they wouldn't let anyone else take them. It's heartbreaking 🙁

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

isn't it simply because it's far more fun to take the piss out of each other than to don orange kaftans and hum om-ani-padme-hum together ? WAKE UP SPOONEY LAD!!

Edric64
    Free Member

It's not nice losing a pet we had to do the same with a lovely white cat about 3 weeks ago, much sympathy from me.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It's not the same warm welcoming atmosphere

sounds awful 🙁
    Orright mate ? Chair comfy ? Can I get you a cardigan ? Yek!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I had a cat once. It died. I won't get another.

_tom_
    Free Member

From what I can tell pretty much everyone on here is a miserable ****!

Admiralable
    Free Member

It's not the same warm welcoming atmosphere

sounds awful
    Orright mate ? Chair comfy ? Can I get you a cardigan ? Yek!

Biscuit too?

bikemonkey
    Free Member

I find STW goes in peaks and troughs. It gets popular, idiots turn up, idiots leave then it's good again.

Woody
    Free Member

Nature of the beast I'm fraid.

T'internet is the only place some people think they can appear 'big and clever', which quite evidently they are not. There does seem to be a fair few t@ssers on here at the moment but that has been the case for a while now.

Just ignore them but it is

cynic-al
    Free Member

I blame me.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I blame you too

Edric64
    Free Member

and me at times

spacemonkey

Thisisnotaspoon – sorry to hear about your spaniel, I know how you're feeling having had our beloved Bert put to sleep in March. It does get "easier" with time though.

On the subject of people just being ar5ey, my policy is to refrain from posting about the more personal/private stuff because you cannot "control" what response you are going to receive. Ergo, you don't give insensitive dumb-ar5e people the chance to mouth off = you don't get hurt/offended/etc.

There are a lot of good people on this forum, but there are the minority who have a habit of voicing their opinions without first engaging their brains.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

There are a lot of good people on this forum

but 'good' is unremittingly dull 🙂

tazzymtb

some folks just take stuff too seriously and it's probably easier to be a tw@ on an internet forum than to kick the dog/wife* etc.. to get rid of all the pent up frustrations of an IT job were everyone thinks you are a geekynerdboylooser

*if you work in IT the likelihood of having a relationship with a real woman is slim so wife can be replaced with "world of warcraft girlfriend" 😉

thebunk

Sorry about your dog OP, and I know what you mean about this place. I was daydreaming earlier about jacking in the 9 to 5, buying a foresty hillside, building some cool trails and the best cake shop ever, maybe even a small bike shop and a friendly camp site. I was feeling all warm and buzzy, until my dreams evaporated with the realization that I would have to come face to face with some of the people on here, and they'd probably be Quite Annoying.

So. STW nasty types, you ruined my dream you gits. Go away, and just leave the odd nutter and the helpful ones.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Ooops, I've just noticed it's a dead dog thread from which I am interdicted 🙁

simonralli2
    Free Member

I've been out riding with Trekster and JohnClimber and friends today. We got wet. Some of us fell off. I bottled one descent but made it down another. No one criticised my lack of gnarl. Everyone got back to the cars saying it was one of the best rides ever! Some of us still like to ride our bikes, even in groups with different skills and fitness levels, and still manage to have lots of fun. 😀

DT78
    Free Member

Agree some real pillocks on here at times. I had my first experience of being forum policed followed by deliberate winding up/grammar nazi'd this weekend. Got to say it really pissed me off, to the stage I went hunting for images of said person 'just in case' I happened to have met them in real life….I think I'll be taking a step back from now on and become a lurker. Can't be arsed with it.

(sorry about the dog)

EDIT – on balance I've met a reasonable number of people through forum rides and they've all been really nice.

iDave
    Free Member

i'm really sorry

yunki
    Free Member

Got to say it really pissed me off, to the stage I went hunting for images of said person 'just in case' I happened to have met them in real life….

I just googled my screen-name and searched for images.. scary

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I find this forum far, far milder than 'real life'. Out there, someone might possibly kill you for looking at them funny. The worst anyone on here can do is hurl silly childish insults. Sticks and stones and that.

binners

I used to come here when it was all fields. And back then all you had to do to lighten the mood was post a picture of a rabbit with a pancake on its head. Like this:

Nowadays its **** this, **** that, owning people with bombers, get this up you you big hairy bollox, weeing in peoples shoes

Terrible. I blame Thatcher

binners

See!!! It won't even let me post a picture of rabbit with a pancake on its headany more. That just says it all

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24861453@N02/3675052140/

cynic-al
    Free Member

Got to say it really pissed me off, to the stage I went hunting for images of said person 'just in case' I happened to have met them in real life….

WTF

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nowadays its **** this, **** that, owning people with bombers, get this up you you big hairy bollox, weeing in peoples shoes

Terrible. I blame Thatcher

😆

**** useless. **** picture didn't even work. Rubbish. Ya big hairy bollocks ya!

Cougar

I'd send that pancake back, there's a hare on it.

Sorry to hear about the dog, Spoony. Sucks.

j_me
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

I'm getting these printed up

molgrips
    Free Member

I don't think people are trying to be c0cks or trying to make out they are better than others.

It's just that remarks are made in a complete vacuum on here – without context the sentiment of the communication is lost and for some reason I don't completely understand, people always tend towards the annoyed in these situations. It's not just STW, it happens everywhere online.

molgrips
    Free Member

Actually – perhaps it's just the lack of inhibition. You think something, and it's really easy to type it in, whereas in real life there are dozens of automatic checks and balances that you've learned over the years.

Like being drunk, only worse.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

I just read the post you meant and it isn't that bad, you can't judge the tone of voice it was 'said' in and you decided to share the information about a dead dog with the world and so did the poster who had been bitten by a dog.

Maybe you are being over sensitive?

binners

People don't actually get banned from here you know. I hunt them down and kill them in their beds for some real or imagined slight to my enormous ego

yunki
    Free Member

Like being drunk, only worse not as much fun.

romster
    Free Member

Just ignore it dude, the real "tossers" go away eventually or get banned from my experiences, and if they don't just continue to ignore, at which point you can get back to enjoying the good side of STW. There is some top bloke's on here imo (aside of the bell ends), who are very generous people that can offer help at the most desperate of time's, like when you've had your bike nicked or when you're getting pestered by the missus for an exercise bike! Just take a look at the bullheart thread to see how nice people can be, that should fill you with confidence too. I've spoke to a few of you now on the blower, and everyone to date have been very polite chaps indeed. P.S, sorry to hear about your dog too, time heals as they say. (get some good miles in so you're not moping around, it helps!)

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘If You Haven't Got Anything Nice To Say Dont Say Anything At All…………….’ is closed to new replies.