Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • If I report a bar break in will it put my insurance premiums up?
  • Harry_the_Spider

I rather stupidly left my car unlocked on the drive last night and got up this morning to find that somebody had been through the glove box.

Nothing was taken and there was no damage so I won’t be telling my insurance directly, but if I report it to the police will my insurance premiums go up?

Moral dilema… give some information that may catch a scum bag and risk having to pay more or ignore it?

br
    Free Member

Possibly, as you’ll also need to report it to your insurance company.

It may also impact all your (and your neighbours) policies, if your’s is the ‘tipping point’.

xcgb
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother Scumbag wont get charged with looking in an open car and not taking anything

Bregante

Report it. I used to work up there and because of its location it unfortunately gets very little police attention. If you (and others) report it, it is highlighted on briefings as a potential high vehicle crime area and (should) get increase patrols. If it was part of an ongoing pattern it may lead to some sort of pro-active operation to catch those responsible. Especially if that area is failing to meet targets for vehicle crime detections as we approach the “year end”.

I work in a pro-active unit myself and for the last 2 months my bosses have been so desperate to hit their year end target that I’ve been able to work as many days off as I like with my team. (pleased to say that it led to a VERY successful conclusion this weekend 😉 )

druidh
    Free Member

I’m confused.

You own a bar?

Or did they use a bar to break into your car?

jon1973
    Free Member

Just out of interest, what is the offence if someones rummages around an unlocked car, without doing any damage? What would the police be looking to do them for?

Bregante

Vehicle interference, or attempt theft from motor vehicle

Harry_the_Spider

Gah. CAR, not BAR.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve reported it to the Police on their 101 number.

The person on the other end of the phone said that it won’t get back to the insurance company as I won’t be telling them and nothing was damaged or taken.

Hopefully they will send a patrol up here (dead end a mile from anywhere as Bregante knows) in the wee small hours to act as a deterrent.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘If I report a bar break in will it put my insurance premiums up?’ is closed to new replies.