Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Idrigill Point, Skye
  • clowner
    Free Member

Anyone done the Idrigill Point loop on Skye and can give feedback?

clowner
    Free Member

No one?

kennyp
    Free Member

Yes, we did it last week. If you’re a good rider, and have a head for heights, it’s an amazing trail. I’m crap/cowardly, so walked big sections of it, but the other two rode. I’ll try and find some photos.

rickmeister

I was with Kenny… and more opininated. It was only good as the weather was amazing and as Kenny mentioned.. I said the best bit of the ride was the road loop of 20k or so joining the ends up.

If it was inclement weather, it would be totally pants imho. Push to ride ratio of about 65-35

I would’nt do it asgain, Kenny got it right to be back as a walk.

I’ll find some pics too

Thought you were in Skye last week..? We looked for a STW crew who I thought would be up there.

rickmeister

Here you go…

We did Slig to Camasunary return and the Quirang, much better.

HTH

flyingfox
    Free Member

I did it but didn’t realise it was a bike ride – just thought I’d give it a go (and then saw it in a magazine a month later!). There was an enjoyable bit. I just don’t really see the point and was really surprised to see it in a mag! It’s wild and nice, different scenery though so wasn’t all bad.

Best bit is that we asked Danny MacAskill in a restaurant (well, the waitress did for us) about rides and he said to do Sligachan and nothing else was really worth it (then he was one of the guys in the mag leading the Idrigill Point ride!).

rickmeister

The enjoyable bit was probably the descent from the last bealach, lasting 2k max then 5 mins to the car..!

TomHill
    Free Member

I included a lot of it in a run last week. Didn’t think “I must bring my mountain bike back here” once. Lots of damp bogginess. And it’s been pretty dry up there for a while.

I’d stick to Slig-Camasunary and back, or push up to Corrie Laggan and ride down, or maybe Quirang. If you have a road bike bring it… plenty of great riding round the island.

clowner
    Free Member

Yeah was up a couple of weekends ago.

Same views as you. If the weather wasn’t stunning it would have been brutal.

Fair bit of walking up the steep grassy slopes some good bits but overall probably not worth taking the bike. The decent through the forest was a boggy mess.

Sligachan out and and back was excellent and the Quirang had its moments buts was abit short and very busy with puzzled looking walkers.

kennyp
    Free Member

Ooops, I’m getting it mixed up with the Quirang. My earler comments make more sense then.

Re Idrigill, what Rick says is true. It’s a lovely walk along the cliffs but don’t bother taking a bike. Just a waste of time.

kennyp
    Free Member

Oh, and about Sligachan. I know there’s a regular debate about what direction to do it in, but why on earth would anyone not do it as an out and back? That’s what we did and loved it. I can’t see any real reason to just do one direction and do the rest by road.

clowner
    Free Member

Yeah we did it as an out and back and it was one of the best rides I can remember.

When we saw the road we would have had to do it as a loop when leaving the Island (arrived in total darkness) I’m glad we did.

Long busy (well as busy you get on Skye) roads have no place on a mountain bike route when there is an alternative

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Idrigill Point, Skye’ is closed to new replies.