• This topic has 43 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Idles
  • sadexpunk

just back from seeing them at rock city.  havent enjoyed a band so much for years.  temptation got the better of me and at the grand old age of 54 spent the evening in the moshpit with a bit of crowdsurfing to boot.  the wife will be so proud when she finds out in the morning 😀

loud, punky, energetic, whats not to like!!

any more fans out there?

phil5556

I saw them supporting Future Islands a couple of months ago, thought they were ace. Will keep an eye out for when they’re next up this way.

senorj

I’m jealous.They are the first rock/punk band that I have enjoyed for years.

I bet you were the sweatiest man in the room! 🙂

Danny Nedelko will be on the radio for years to come imo. Brilliant.

verses

Love them! Seen them twice this year, Heaven in London was a bit of a disappointment as the venue layout meant I couldn’t get anywhere near, and visibility from the back was bobbins.  Saw them again in The Wardrobe at the Live at Leeds Festival which has to have been one of of the gigs of my life, (despite them being on at midday).

Didn’t expect them to be able to follow up Brutalism so solidly and am happy to say I was wrong!

jkomo

Missed them in Oxford- sold out. Gutted

Watty

They were on Jules Holland a few weeks ago. Great energy and passion.

robvalentine

Saw em at the Kentish town forum, they were ace. I first saw em in a venue under a railway arch in bermondsey and it was hot, sweaty and mental. A mate of mine is doing the lights for this tour.

olddog

Awesome

richardk
    Free Member

Loved Brutalism, not sold on the follow up yet.  I do like their beer though Idles Beer

oreetmon
    Free Member

Haha,

love idles, joe talbots voice, lyrics and the energy they have is just ace.

went watching ‘the chats’ on Monday night at Manchester academy. First punk band I have watched live in a long time. As it was on a school night I thought I would just loiter at the bar and have a quiet night.

Woke up with Sprained ankle, lumps and bruises and a hangover😁

seems I’m to old for the mosh pit as well (45).

DezB
    Free Member

Seeing them tomorrow. Concorde 2 in Brighton, lovely small, sweaty venue.

Should be a riot. 🙂

hodgynd
    Free Member

I would like to ” get ” what it is you lads like about this band ..I’ve tried listening to both albums and they do absolutely **** all for me ..but then again I hated punk first time around ..glad you lot are enjoying them though ..

DezB
    Free Member

I would like to ” get ” what it is you lads like about this band

The sound of the music and the songs. Really not a complicated thing why someone likes a band.

There are things I don’t like about them too, but they’re more cerebral.

I hated punk first time around

Yeah, cool.

senorj

“I would like to ” get ” what it is you lads like about this band” – soul ,passion,anger & the ability to say something interesting. for me at least.

hodgynd
    Free Member

DezB..why so touchy ..I wasn’t criticising your music choice ..glad you like them ..so no real need for an arsey comment ..😁

hodgynd
    Free Member

Senor J…great !

What I said though is that I would like to get 

I don’t ..and it’s just one blokes opinion ..I ended by saying that I was glad that you lads were enjoying them …

Wow ..touchy !

DezB
    Free Member

Not touchy, you read it wrong. It’s just like, I dunno – “I don’t like punk, why don’t I like a punk band?” a right silly question to me! 😆

[edit]actually “hated” punk!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Just watched a little of them on iPlayer, reminds me of the time At The Drive In were on.  I really like the new album but that’s all I’ve really listened to.

verses

If you’ve not explored their videos, particularly the ones from Brutalism, then I can def recommend spending a bit of time on YouTube.  Especially fond of Mother and Stendhal Syndrome

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m not a punk fan but there’s something about them that I like.  I’m mostly into Neil Young, The Stones etc but that’s not to say I like everything in that Genre.

fasthaggis

Awesome band,they make me smile.

Seeing them tomorrow. Concorde 2 in Brighton, lovely small, sweaty venue.

Nice one Dez,get right down the front and embarrass the youngsters

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i mean they are decent but lets not get carried away! My mother works 15 hours five days a week!

hodgynd
    Free Member

Dez

Sorry mate ..you read it wrong ..I didn’t ask a question ..I made a statement as in I really would like to “get” what it is you like ..but I don’t !

It’s a bit rich coming from someone who is openly critical about other forms of music ..to criticise someone else’s opinion ..😉

the-muffin-man

One of those bands I think I should like, but they just don’t quite hit the spot for me. Can see why they are so popular though and must be a riot live.

Oddly I’m a big fan of Shame though – not quite as rough edged and with a bit more musicality than Idles.

mark88

One of the best bands I’ve come across for years. Love the energy and lyrics, great live and seem passionate about what they’re about. I seen them at their album release show in Kingston, and again last week at Kentish Town.

I had a nightmare getting tickets for last week, but after Kingston I had to see them again. I think their current wave of popularity will either make or break them – either way I can’t see them playing venues that size again.

Seems like there’s a quite a few good new bands coming through which we’ve not seen for a while. I’ve got Yak, The Dunts and Dead Hormones gigs in the next few weeks.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s a bit rich coming from someone who is openly critical about other forms of music ..to criticise someone else’s opinion

Do you have examples of either of these? I can’t recall anything I’ve posted on the forum..!

DezB
    Free Member

Oddly I’m a big fan of Shame though

Mate has got us tix for these. I don’t think I’ve actually heard them though, as yet 🙂

Anyway, I’m pretty much ambivalent to “new” punk bands (and most bands churning up old genres), but Idles have got something different about them, yeah, probably the attitude and Joe’s voice, the songs on the early EPs and Brutalism…. feeling like they’ve gone a bit “this is the part where you mosh” on the new album, but trying not to analyse too much!

the-muffin-man

…anyway – I went to see Lucy Spraggan at Rock City last Friday – so what do I know! 🙂

hodgynd
    Free Member

None that I could readily go to ( and can’t really be arsed anyway ) ..but a general comment that I remember on the “decades” thread where you commented that someone’s particular list didn’t have in it something that you both  loved or hated ..so I do think that you see yourself as some form of music critic..and as in my case this morning are ( too) quick to respond to someone else’s opinion if it doesn’t match your own …

richardkennerley

Saw them at the Manchester Ritz last week. Was as good as expected. FYI Maxine Peak was there too.

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-author”>oreetmon
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Haha,

love idles, joe talbots voice, lyrics and the energy they have is just ace.

went watching ‘the chats’ on Monday night at Manchester academy. First punk band I have watched live in a long time. As it was on a school night I thought I would just loiter at the bar and have a quiet night.

Woke up with Sprained ankle, lumps and bruises and a hangover😁

seems I’m to old for the mosh pit as well (45).

</div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

I was at the chats as well. Was originally supposed to be at the star and garter. They’ve done well to sell out a whole UK tour given they describe themselves as a sh’t band from Queensland.! Thought they were pretty entertaining and it was great to see so many kids into that type of thing

</div>
    </div>

nerd
    Free Member

Do you have examples of either of these? I can’t recall anything I’ve posted on the forum..!

Every time the War on Drugs are mentioned! 🙂

(I couldn’t care less btw).

Idles are alright.  I would’ve gone to see them in Oxford but my gig buddy (who likes them more than I) has just had a new baby so is on a gig moratorium.

snownrock

Saw them at Stylus in Leeds on Wednesday night. Easily the best gig I’ve been to in years, it was brilliant. I can’t stop singing the songs. Particularly enjoyed the Mariah Carey cover when the guitarists amp went pop.

sadexpunk

If you’ve not explored their videos, particularly the ones from Brutalism, then I can def recommend spending a bit of time on YouTube.  Especially fond of Mother and Stendhal Syndrome

good call, just spent a couple of hours following links on youtube, watching the videos.  really enjoying them, colossus is another belter of a vid.

Awesome band,they make me smile.

i know exactly what you mean, theyre so angry and loud they shouldnt make you smile, but they just do.

also watched a really honest 12 minute interview with him on youtube.  im liking them more and more, i dont think a bands got me like this for 15 years or so (six by seven FWIW).

Blackflag
    Free Member

Idles are ok, but I do wish everyone would stop calling them a punk band.

There are loads of great new punk bands coming through the uk punk scene at the moment but Idles are a bit “indie hipster”. Not that there was s anything wrong with that, but it’s doing all the up and coming kids a bit of a disservice.

dirtyboy

If you like Idles check out the saint pierre snake invasion or TSPSI for short. Another belting Bristol band

oreetmon
    Free Member

Care to elaborate,

always interested in new stuff.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh, only 24 hours now until i go to a punk gig to see the punk band Idles! Punk is awesome, man!

dirtyboy

https://www.youtube.com/user/tspsi

Damien the lead singer, also does a bit with Future of the left occasionally.

DezB
    Free Member

I have sore ribs and arms 😊

mikey74
    Free Member

Some random guy in a bar recommended them to me, based on the fact I was wearing a Bad Religion t-shirt and also like bands like Sick of it All. I listened to them and very quickly decided they aren’t for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Idles’ is closed to new replies.