Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Ideas for storing lego instructions
  • rossburton
    Free Member

Say my son has enough lego instruction books of varying sizes that if they were in a single pile it would be about six inches high. Does anyone have any good ideas as to how to store these so they don’t get ruined?

I’ve tried using A4 and A5 binders with plastic punched pockets in which seems to work alright but isn’t ideal, mainly as the pockets are relatively expensive as they’re generally archival quality for photos and I can’t seem to find cheap as chips ones. Any better ideas?

RustySpanner

Zip lock freezer bags, with the instructions and the few spare parts you get with each set?

Works for me.

daviek

Something like one of those Really Useful Boxs? Loads of sizes to choose from.

sbob
    Free Member

Make folders out of lego.

MoreCashThanDash

A lot of the instructions are online now anyway, but we keep the paper copies in a zip lock bag with the spare bits, in the box, in the loft. Probably creating the biggest fire hazard since the great fire of London.

We’ve kept it all for if/when they get bored and need to sell it all to buy drugs/booze/hookers etc.

nealglover
    Free Member

Cut out each page with a pair of scissors.
    Laminate them all.
    Hole punch them all.
    Put each set in its own slim folder.
    Build a set of shelves out of Lego to hold all the folders.

Job jobbed.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Scan them into a .PDF?

Klunk
    Free Member

bog standard a4 box file with the spring clip inside.

crankboy
    Free Member

Not a massively good idea just what we do , the IKEA cube type storage . each cube holds a different theme of model ,city , ninjago , star wars nexo knights and one storage box holds all the instructions for rebuilding when I drop a model or kick it when crossing his room . theory is ace in practice the cubes are empty and his floor is ankle deep in the stuff.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Instructions are discarded with the packaging. It’s a rule.

spursn17
    Free Member

This…

Instructions are discarded with the packaging. It’s a rule.

Sling them! The fun part is when kids make different stuff every time they play with it.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/drawer-units-storage-cabinets/erik-drawer-unit-w-2-drawers-on-castors-white-art-30151808/

Drop-file storage

Amazing value. Damn sturdy. Rumoured to being phased out…taps nose…

I’ve built up a number of the 3 drawer versions. Idiot proof.

takisawa2

Ours are all in one of those little wooden drawer units, from Ikea.
    Some of the Technics manuals are huge.

WillH

The fun part is when kids make different stuff every time they play with it.

True, this is the very essence of Lego, but

Sling them!

what about when my five-year-old picks out a random bit of Lego and decides he wants to rebuild the original model? Need the manual. I know they are all online, but if you don’t know what the model number was then then it can be a pain to track down the right set of instructions.

senorj

Force your son to memorise each set of instructions.
    Or NO pudding.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We have loads of the dam things, and a huge box of Lego bits that get built in to all sorts, however now we have no idea what sets Jnr FD has. If instructions are online, I might just build a catalogue of all the covers by scanning them in to a Word document and hyperlink if them to the online instructions.

joshvegas
    Free Member

File suspension cabinets

And a card indexing system.

marcus7
    Free Member

This also brings up the subject of storage a parts, i use those multi compartment parts boxes and segregate by colour per box (then part type in the box. Works well but you need quite a lot of boxes! (will need even more after Christmas!). I’ve not solved the manual issue or what to do with the original boxes which are now in the loft. I really need to sort the LEGO room but its proving a bit of pain, how do people fix base plates etc etc??.

cbike
    Free Member

It’s a creative play engineering system not bliddy Tax documents! Weirdo! When they are grown up they can play at ikea and also bin the instructions!

steve-g
    Free Member

Attempting to hijack the forum’s lego knowledge.

I recently rescued all my old lego from my mum’s loft and am confident I will have pretty much all the pieces to the big sets along with tones of other stuff. Its in a big chest, probably about 14- 16kgs of the stuff.

I remember having a big pirate ship, a pirate island, another island of soldiers, a big blue spaceship that separated into smaller ships. I have a ton of sharks and cannons and treasure so I am sure its all there, but how can I get the instructions so I can make it?

The link above for instructions was the best I found but I think everything I have pre-dates the things on there. The oldest big Pirate ship and island on there are from the 2000s, and I am almost certainly looking for early 90s

marcus7
    Free Member

I suspect some people don’t afford LEGO the respect it deserves…. When i have constructed the LEGO I allow my children full viewing rights, they are only 8 and 10 so cannot be trusted with the building at this time. I did look into some courses for them or maybe private tutoring but there doesn’t seem to be much around…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Ideas for storing lego instructions’ is closed to new replies.