Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 1,140 total)
  • iDave Diet Joinee
  • Solo
    Free Member

That’s irrelevant. Why weren’t they all obese in the 60’s?

Because they weren’t told that fat was bad and fat wasn’t replaced with sugar.
    Oh !, and don’t forget the boom in processed, covnenience food.
    😉

ChrisS
    Free Member

Presumably because people weren’t eating much sugar or “highly refined flour”.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Because they weren’t told that fat was bad and fat wasn’t replaced with sugar.
    Oh !, and don’t forget the boom in processed, covnenience food.

So it’s not the grains that are the problem then? 😕

Jamie
    Free Member

CaptJon
    Free Member

Edukator – Member
    a “hypothesis” Captjon. To be tested. The iDave diet is very much at the test stage, how much of it will accepted as “best fit theory” only time will tell. I’ll be very surprised if eliminating grains, bread and pasta becomes main stream.

Is becoming the ‘best fit theory’ or ‘mainstream’ the only way to prove something works?

ChrisS
    Free Member

“Why we get fat” suggests this also explains e.g.. the Japanese eating rice but not being obese, they eat 1/4 the sugar and high fructose syrup the US do.

Solo
    Free Member

*Damn that Jamie*

So it’s not the grains that are the problem then?

Grains are a problem.
    They bring their own issues, but are also used to produce food which includes sugar.

Its not just one food item which contributes to weight gain / excessive weight.
    Several foods types contribute to this.
    We’ve covered fruit.
    I’ve banged on about grain.
    I’ve been sent to the cooler for discussing dairy products.

Imo, Agriculture has a lot to answer for.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you have problems with müesli I’d be very surprised if you got on with lentils and fatty sausage for breakfast

You’d be very surprised because you are arrogant, and totally stand by your existing knowledge without bothering to read around new information and evidence, apparently.

Racing myself means I’ve tested a few approaches

You realise iDave has coached loads of people including world and olympic champions, TdF stage winner etc. I would say that his direct experience is vastly greater than yours.

As for insulting your intelligence – he’s just commenting on it. You really do appear to be a right pig-headed fool. Surely an intelligent person would take note of new views and evaluate them based on evidence?

emsz
    Free Member

God this is all over the place.

Been googling ( as you do when you’ve got nothing else to do) that insulin chart seems to say that some grains are ok, and that protien has an insulin response, and then I read that both lentils and wheat have been eaten by us for about the same lenth of time, so it’s a bit weird that we’re evolved enough to eat one but not the other?

I think I’ll stick to small portions of what I want to eat rather than missing out loads of types of food

opened that thread about “spaff” not going near that again! 😳

philconsequence
    Free Member

muesli headed fool, he cant be pig headed cos he doesnt eat fatty sausages for breakfast

LOOK AT HIS DAMN TOPLESS PHOTOS PEOPLE, CANT YOU SEE ITS POINTLESS ARGUING WITH SUCH A FINE EXAMPLE OF A MAN?!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Spaff’s ok in the idiet though?

iDave
    Free Member

emzs, you mention spaff in a nutrition thread…

*every day’s a school day*

Edukator
    Free Member

They also used to drink eight pints of beer a day – in the mines in West Wales anyway.

If you want to eat what we’ve evolved to eat then go paleodiet. Don’t expect to perform well in triathlon though. I tried it and suffered. Our conclusion (the doctor and athletes trying the diet) was that hunter gatherers lived like monkeys and to some extent lions. Intense periods of activity followed by long periods of being sedentary or doing very low intensity exercise.

The daily routine of a triathlete includes hours of modertate to high intensity activity every day though – very different. Paleodiet might be just the thing for sprinters or walkers, triathletes we felt needed more carbs.

philconsequence
    Free Member

if TJ posted topless photos i’d be agreeing with everything he says online too.

why did the TJ cross the road?

to get to the helmet thread. and remember kids, wearing a helmet could save your life one day x

ChrisS
    Free Member

God this is all over the place.

Which is my point, maybe if iDave published an explanation of the logic behind his iDiet it might help…

iDave
    Free Member

Ed, you’re going back to thinking the iDave diet is low carb. On more than one occasion I’ve stated that certain carbs (sometimes sugars) are fine before during and after ‘some’ events. Not all, events, not no events. And it’s not paleo either.

Which all suggest that you have a rigid view about what it is and what I say – then ignore anything beyond that. Are you this blinkered about everything? Not convinced by interval training maybe?

CaptJon
    Free Member

is anyone else concerned Yeti is getting some work done?

Solo
    Free Member

triathletes we felt needed more carbs.

Of course.
    Nobody is saying don’t eat carbs.
    🙄

And… You think you’re addressing top level triatheletes here ?, when you tell us all not to listen to iDave and to eat as much bread, pastries and pasta as we like ?.

Edukator
    Free Member

arrogant

prick

pillock

pig-headed fool

Keep the insults coming, Molgrips.

I am evaluating iDaves elimated foods objectively. He made a point a bout insulin response. All the evidence I can find says that my grains, bread and pasta are low GI and no more likely to upset insulin balance than the foods he suggests. He then raises gluten which I accept as a valid point for people with poor gluten tolerance, that’s not many. It would be nice if he were to recognise that many runners have a poor tolerance of beans and pulses.

Solo
    Free Member

Jamie.

Can you make post the excuses in an airplane type stylee again please.

Looks like the hamster is having a fag break.

iDave
    Free Member

They also used to drink eight pints of beer a day – in the mines in West Wales anyway

Are you hinting that what people used to do, may be subsequently found to have implications not understood at the time and that a change in lifestyle etc could benefit health? Could the same happen in sports performance? Could you one day consider that a long held view is incorrect? Has that ever happened in the field of geology?

molgrips
    Free Member

so it’s a bit weird that we’re evolved enough to eat one but not the other?

It’s not that we’ve evolved to eat lentils, rather that we’ve not evolved to eat either of them, but lentils are less intrinsically harmful to begin with.

Edukator – I’m calling you stupid because you’re acting stupid. You’re arguing with someone with lots of experience on the subject and who is very well-read. You have less experience and are less well-read, and yet you think you know best.

How is that not a stupid act?

It would be nice if he were to recognise that many runners have a poor tolerance of beans and pulses

I think we all understand that the iDiet is something we can try and see if it works for us. It’s proposed as a plan that might well succeed where a traditional diet with calorie restriction. There are certainly dozens of people on here who will testify that it has worked very well for them when other methods have not.

Solo
    Free Member

It would be nice if he were to recognise that many runners have a poor tolerance of beans and pulses

It would be nice if you could get your head around the fact that white bread ranked 100 on that ^^^ GI list.
    It might also be nice to have you acknowledge the links regarding phytate, lectins, etc.

Solo
    Free Member

Are you hinting that what people used to do, may be subsequently found to have implications not understood at the time and that a change in lifestyle etc could benefit health? Could the same happen in sports performance? Could you one day consider that a long held view is incorrect? Has that ever happened in the field of geology?

Ha Ha !.

Ed.
    You’ve just had your ass handed to you on a bread knife.
    😆

Edukator
    Free Member

Eliminating grains, bread, pasta… remember your list to eliminate pages back iDave. That is where I disagree with you and that is the root of this debate. The debate is extended by your view all carbs or not equal which is the point you started acusing me of knowing nothing about insulin response. Well you now seemed to have dropped that having realised that I do know about insulin and that the GI values of the foods under deabate are in the low GI categorey. So just what is your justification for depriving non-gluten alergic people of grains, bread, pasta… ?

philconsequence
    Free Member

hes not depriving them, he’s suggesting biffers avoid them to aid in weight loss.

why did edukator cross the road?

to get to the bakery.

Solo
    Free Member

So just what is your justification for depriving non-gluten alergic people of grains, bread, pasta

Errr. They can make you heavier ?.

molgrips
    Free Member

You just listed a load of high insulin-index foods. So they are off because of the high insulin effect.

Oats is another matter. Personally if I need to snack and I’m out and about I do grab a flapjack. But then everyone thinks I’m a useless dieter so *shrug*.

Solo
    Free Member

hes not depriving them, he’s suggesting biffers avoid them to aid in weight loss.

why did edukator cross the road?

to get to the bakery.

😆 😆

maxray
    Free Member

This is like a car crash… I want to look away but keep finding myself drawn to reading this bikkering…

🙄

CaptJon
    Free Member

Re GI and II stuff – they are the values for food on their own. I’ve just found an interesting paper which shows that meals – i.e. how we actually eat – and combinations of different foods will change GI and II values. I’m not going to read it all, but this stood out in my skim:

“The GI differences observed may be particularly due to fiber content of the meals, as foos with high-fiber content (beans, lentils) have a lower GI.”

It goes on to talk about all kinds of complex stuff. You can (i think) read it here: http://www.ajcn.org/content/45/3/588.full.pdf

Here is a nice chart from the paper:

As you can see, when combined with other foods, certain foodstuff greatly increase the insulin index of the whole meal. These are foods not allowed 6 days a week in the iDave diet.

Solo
    Free Member

Max.

Welcome to the kitchen.

If however,……

Edukator
    Free Member

Bread GI 100, nah, which GI list is that, Solo? There are no links I can see on this page. Here’s one with numbers from the university of Sydney.. Bread is in the range 36 to 95 with wholemeal bread in the low GI category. Less than parsnips if you want to play the outliers game.

Solo
    Free Member

Capt.

Its also been observed that red wine with your meal can lower the GI value of that meal… (hic !).

CaptJon
    Free Member

White bread is often given a GI or II of 100 as the reference point for other foods.

molgrips
    Free Member

Less than parsnips if you want to play the outliers game

Ah but the smart money is on glycaemic load, not glycaemic index, where parsnips come in much better as you’d expect.

Solo
    Free Member

Ed.

Checked your link.

Looks like it records white bread as, eerrrrr.
    ” high GI “

If this is a game, I don’t think you’re that good at it.
    😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

it doesnt matter in the end how fat you are, james blunt thinks your beautiful!

Edukator
    Free Member

Good link Captjon.

The insulinemic index comments in the conclusion recognise a good correlation of insulinemic index and GI (excellent in meals with protein).

Edit: your own link debunks using white bread as a reference, Captjon. It’s too variable.

Solo
    Free Member

This is a thread of attrition.

TSY seems to have fallen.

Alas poor TSY, I knew him….
    Kinda.
    😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 1,140 total)

The topic ‘iDave Diet Joinee’ is closed to new replies.