Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Iceland (The Country, not the shop) Things to do, places to see, place to eat.
  • worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Going for a long weekend in October to Iceland (Reyjavik) and was wondering if anyone can let me know what we really need to see and do. Where’s best places to eat (from me who doesn’t like seafood)?

I think Northern Lights and Whale watching trips are a definite.

Thanks!

sboardman

Just done a long weekend there!

Fantastic place. We did most of the standard touristy things as it was relatively easy: Northern lights, Golden Circle, South Shore, Blue lagoon. I’d say you don’t need to do blue lagoon (its very expensive for a warm bath) but the others were really good. Lots of very pretty places and even just driving throug the landscape is pretty mesmerising.

You won’t need more than a day (afternoon really) to look round Reykjavik itself. Nothing wrong with it, just not much there.

Icelanders really like hotdogs so there’s a few cheap and cheerful and some “gourmet” places around. If you do any day trips probably best to take at least a snack as there’s not many opportunities to eat (cheaply) out in the “wilderness”. The classic stock up during buffet breakfast is well recommended.

gren
    Free Member

Get yourself on one of the 4WD safaris up onto the glaciers. Then see how low tubeless can really go. 4PSI to ride the snow in a Land Rover.

Golden Circle tours gets you to the obvious stuff – geysers, waterfalls etc. The Blue Lagoon is also worth it. Next door to the airport so book for your last day and you get your transfer for free.

Great place to eat is Tapas Barinn for an Icelandic feast. Reykjavic is really small, you can walk from one end to the other in 10 minutes so most is clustered together so you can wander around and choose which looks best.

nedrapier

Not doing this in a negative way, but there’s plenty on here already. There’s some good stuff in this lot:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=singletrackworld+iceland&gws_rd=ssl

warns74
    Free Member

We had an afternoon on ski-mobiles up on one of the glaciers. Brilliant fun!

solidrooster
    Free Member

We went for four days in January, really enjoyed it. Did golden circle, northern lights trip and blue lagoon, all very good.

Get yourself to Hereford steakhouse in Reykjavik, fillet steak was fantastic as where the banana split. They also do puffin and whale if your feeling adventurous.

Local beer Gull is a good drop.

Take plenty of money though it’s not cheap over there. And whatever you do don’t disrespect the “hidden people”

jam-bo

Minke steak tastes fantastic

landmannalaugar is incredible place to see, its only a couple of hours by bus from reykjavik.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

The three bird roast is not bad.

toby1

I really liked the Laundromat cafe – you can also wash your clothes if the need takes you.

Had a cracking meal at the restaurant in the Iceland air hotel down by the docks too, great cocktails also.

Reykjavik is great, if you go out for a beer, don’t do it till late, like UK closing time late.

Kaffinbarrin is a good place to go.

daznal
    Free Member

Penis museum

professor_fate
    Free Member

If the Lights don’t make an appearance then check out the Aurora display/show(not a museum) down by the harbour. Is has 4k timelapse imagery from all over the planet on large screens so you get to see the full beauty of the phenomena – it’s quite gobsmacking. As mentioned above the sheer epic grandeur of the landscape is a huge draw and just made me want to drive and drive and drive soaking it in… It’s some place.

gee
    Free Member

If you can get out to it, Thorsmork and Lanmannalaugar are amazing.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Don’t bother buying Icelandic currency before you go. You can use cards in most places, and getting cash out of an APM when you’re there is cheaper than buying it in advance.

robertgray05
    Free Member

My wife says GO SNORKELLING IT’S AWESOME!

And she’s right. Snorkelling in crystal clear water in the fissures at the tectonic plate split.

Ambrose

By October some of the interior roads my be closed or about to close. If it is still open get to Hveravellir (Thermal Springs, mountain huts) between the Hofsjokul and Langjokul glaciers. Then on to Akureyri and Myvatn the next day. Doable in a Vitara or similar with ease.

In October many of the tourist shops/ offices may well be closed. The upside of this is that you will get the place to yourself 🙂

jam-bo

^^^^

If you do the Kjolur route like ambrose suggests, stop here

Awesome hut/cafe in the middle of nowhere. Best cheese and ham toasties ever*

*judgement may have been coloured by 6hrs cycling over that pass in the distance and the into a horrific headwind

agent007
    Free Member

Awesome place, blue lagoon touristy and commercial but certainly recommended for an afternoon – it’s like no where else! October a great month to visit although I’d skip the whale watching trip – the whale’s will be long gone by that time of year. Also Northern lights rarely get seen as it’s so cloudy in Iceland. Get yourself a hire car, it’s so easy to get around and there’s almost no traffic.

Glacier walk was the highlight for us – you can combine it with a trip to see the waterfalls in the south.

In Reyjkavik, pop to the bar in the Kex Hostel (looks like an office block from outside but is actually and old biscuit factory) for their home brewed beer, live music, and awesome food.

rhid

I went in October 2 years ago and loved it.We stayed for 4 days and hired a car and drove the golden circle route, hung out in Reykjavik and were generally tourists! I know people slate it but I recommend he blue lagoon. Went straight after the flight in and relaxed in the hot water while it was 1deg outside with bright blue sky. That was awesome.

I recommend the lobster pot (or something) on the dock. It had a great a range of fish kebabs, soup and free coffee! Also there is a happy hour app you can download to get all the various happy hours throughout the city, otherwise drinking is not cheap!

I want to go back and explore a bit more as the people and the place was fantastic!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Went a couple of years ago. The design museum is worthy look in Reykjavik as are the other two art museums/galleries in the group. Go swimming at the public baths. Fish and chip shop down on the harbour is nice. Hamburgerfabbrikan (sp) is good for grub.
    If you have a car then drive along the south coast to Vik beach. Stunning.
    I loved Iceland http://shedbrewed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/beach-holiday-in-iceland.html?m=1

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Iceland (The Country, not the shop) Things to do, places to see, place to eat.’ is closed to new replies.