Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • ICE Lift V8 seatpost
  • Schweiz
    Free Member

I have the new 27.2 T Mars post at home. Haven’t fitted it yet. It was sold as 110mm travel – I will confirm tonight but it looked that long to me. Feels pretty weighty compared to reverb but looks well made although far from pretty. Clamp is somewhat industrial looking but bar lever is nice.

Paid £65 delivered.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Well I think they are all vaguely the same just branded differently.. ICE v8, traildrop, TMARS

( I do know there are mk1 and mk2 versions of this post)

trickydisco
    Free Member

Cheers Schweiz.. Update on this thread when you know

chillidave
    Free Member

A few of the German shops market this ‘new’ version under the Forca Sports brand, for €100 on some of the german sites.

Claimed new model and listed with 110mm travel and 31.6 actual size (no shim) here. I was really tempted but needed a 30.9 size and don’t fancy using a shim so got a Reverb instead. I’d be interested to hear what people think.

xiphon
    Free Member

@Schweiz

I’d be interested to hear your feedback on the post to.

dantsw13

SCHWEIZ, Ill measure the distance from the top of the red collar, to the seat rails on my ICE, and if you do the same on your TMARS, we can put this to bed.

dantsw13

The Collar/Rails on the ICE V8 is 138mm

Ive just been reading the FORCA website, in my dodgy German, and it looks interesting. No Rubber collar to keep the crap out though.

These posts coming in at this price point may force the big boys to act on price, which can only be a good thing. When you look at the RRP for a Gravity Dropper, compared to these, its makes the eyes water!!

I had my first big ride on my ICE V8 yesterday. It needed a bit of fettling on the cable tension. At first, the seat kept disengaging from the upper position and dropping. It required a trade off between lever throw, and pin engagement, but got there in the end!!

Schweiz
    Free Member

dantsw13

Not sure if collar to rails is the key measurement in question here. I thought we were trying to confirm the travel of the post. Anyway, I’ll check both tonight and update you.

Ironically, I will be looking to modify my post to reduce the travel. My fatbike has a very large frame and I have limited exposed seatpost. I will most likely only use the halfway position and the fully down position. I’ll try to implement a mechanical stop and possibly add another position to the travel if needed.

By the way, there’s a new UK based listing for the post which has photos with measurements of the 3 positions which essentially confirms it’s 110mm travel:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TMARS-REMOTE-ADJUSTABLE-27-2mm-DROPPER-SEATPOST-3-REMOTE-HEIGHTS-/251192301320?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3a7c3a5708

trickydisco
    Free Member

excellent.. cheers for that link Schweiz.. Will ask if santa can get me this

dantsw13

Schweiz, I agree, but I reckon the Collar/Rails is a pretty good indicator of max drop in a coil sprung post, and its much easier to do!!!!

That ebay ad looks pretty conclusive!!

The V8 at max extension only just works on my frame too.

Tempted by the TMAR version for my 456C which has a lower seat tube than my Titus

xiphon
    Free Member

Cheers Schweiz for the info

Schweiz
    Free Member

OK, I can confirm that it’s a 110mm drop and the dimensions in the pictures on the ebay link that I posted are correct.

I can recommend ebay seller hotcrazybike2011 from Taiwan. I had it within 1 week. Low customs value declared so no additional charges. He’s £65 with free postage and the new UK seller is £67 + £5 postage.

Not sure when I’ll get round to installing the post but I’ll give you some feedback when I do. I’ve got a Joplin, KS-i950 and Reverb so I’ve got plenty to compare it against…

Gee76
    Free Member

Dare I ask how the actual weighed weight is looking??? (for such a good price!! (he says wishing for the moon on a stick :D))

smiff
    Free Member

yeah i’ll take UK for £7 price difference. got quick responses from the uk seller he sounds legit.
    would like to know weight as well.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Not going to be able to weigh mine until tomorrow night but the Taiwanese seller claimed 659g including remote for the 27.2mm 425mm length. He was spot on with all other information so I don’t have any reason to doubt him.

smiff
    Free Member

ebay uk seller tells me weight is 595g inc. remote and cable. and it’s not a standard cable. hmmm not sure how you’re supposed to replace that then.

spev

I ordered one from that ebay link two days ago,just waiting for it to arrive (its been shipped so i’m expecting it today), as soon as it’s fitted i’ll let you know how it goes

dantsw13

The fitted cable may not be standard, but I can see no reason it couldn’t be replaced by a standard one when required. as long as you changed inner and outer together. Maybe you may need a new inline barrel adjuster, but i doubt it.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

and it’s not a standard cable. hmmm not sure how you’re supposed to replace that then.

the lever looks identical to the Joplin remote and Ive replaced Joplin cables with gear cables. Be useful for an “early adopter” to see if the cable can be swapped with a gear cable.

BillOddie

Be useful for an “early adopter” to see if the cable can be swapped with a gear cable.

Would like to know this too before I press the buy button.

spev

As soon as I get to work tomorrow i’ll strip it down and have a look ok

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

This looks identical to the one I bought via R53 sports and having deliberately not cleaned for the last month it still works fine.

Slight bit of rotational play from new but unnoticeable when riding, while this looks a bargain the service I’ve had from R53 makes what I paid seem worth it.

trickydisco
    Free Member

This looks identical to the one I bought via R53 sports and having deliberately not cleaned for the last month it still works fine.

Only the one r53 is selling appears to to be the 90mm drop as opposed to thge new design which is 110mm (which i think most people are after)

Gee76
    Free Member

Aye the ebay sellers do seem to offer conflicting weights so an actual would be great Schweiz, cheers 😆

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Guys can you help me please. Currently I have a Trance with a reverb which is awesome for me..I am upgrading to my sons cast-off orange which needs a 27.2 mm dropper. I’m really confused about what to replace the reverb with …any advice would be great.

Merry christmas Eve..

Mel

BillOddie

Has anyone bought and tried one of the TMARS posts?

How are you getting on with it?

smiff
    Free Member

got one in my stocking. one ride so far.. liking it, takes a bit more thought to use than a hydro post as you need to locate the positions, and real danger of delivering a whack to the nuts if hovering over seat when released!
    remote is very nice (had no remote on previous post so any is nice, but this one seems a good design, parallel to grip and can be pushed any way, not sticking out like reverb, and is split clamp). very quick and easy to fit. forgot to weigh it sorry too excited to go ride, this is on my crap conditions bike so i’ll know pretty soon (maybe a month) if it’s going to be reliable or not.

price has gone up £3 😯 😉

Schweiz
    Free Member

I’ve put some miles on mine in the last week. Very happy with it so far. It’s great value for £65. There’s a technique to using it which needs to be learnt. The pin engagement was a little tricky at first but it seems to have worn in nicely and is less clunky now than it was originally. Screw out the spring tension bolt in the bottom of the post a couple of turns if you’re planning on fathering (or mothering) any children in the future. Alternatively screw it in for a quick trail side sterilization.

darkslider
    Free Member

Awesome, much appreciated guys, that seems to be enough of a real life review to convince me to order one ASAP!

I assume for a 30.9 seatpost I’d have to purchase the 27.2 model and a good quality seatpost shim? Don’t mind too much as with a 110mm drop it’s still the cheapest new post out there with half decent travel, plus I like the idea of being able to service it myself with a bit of head scratching.

smiff
    Free Member

with screw slackened off does it still extend to top ok?

good idea to grease or oil the inner steel parts?

god damn this weather is bad.

smiff
    Free Member

4 rides now (mars one from ebay)

lovin’ it.

only not sure about stop positions.
    top, nearly down, down.
    i’d maybe prefer top, down a bit, fully down.
    as i only seem to use the first two.

hmm – ?

mmcd87
    Free Member

Hi, I also got the TMARS post over Christmas. Haven’t been out on a ride with it yet but it seems to be what I was after. Has anybody made an attempt to shorten the remote cable? If so what end did you cut? Thanks in advance.

p.s. I found this link which may help some people http://emtb.pl/emtb/sprzet/test-regulowanej-sztycy-el-gallo/

scribbler
    Free Member

Got the TMars ebay version before Xmas and have bounced around on it for a few days now… I have a Bionicon Supershuttle with an awkward 30mm post diameter so ordered a shim from CRC…
    I’d say It’s fairly agricultural engineering, and has developed some play… The nose of my saddle can rotate 4mm to the left and ditto to the right… But I never notice riding, in fact having a bit of rotation perversely seems to help with pedaling…. But for the money I’m pretty impressed. Last ride the saddle somehow dismounted itself from the post after a clipped-in double somersault down a dune face, but the post is absolutely fine, no damage, seat went straight back on.
    Does anyone know how to shorten the cabling? I’d like to nip 10cm off….

smiff
    Free Member

alright had mine apart for a greasing, few notes:

– main tube with spring full of sharp metal shavings, anyone else? left over from mnfr? weird, didn’t look like anything was missing or worn.

– gonna need new plastic guide blocks at some point, anyone know cheap source?

– height holes (3) are evenly spread and would be easy to add your own. less easy to take them away – ? top and bottom holes chamfered presumably for easy engagement, might do same for middle.

– the rubber boot has a direction, much swearing after getting saddle back on with it half unhooked. hate hate hate this type of saddle clips.

– would like to have to push less far on remote to release, have to look at this next. i guess cable can tightened.

– isn’t rusting as bad as i expected.

– way better than trying to work on a joplin!

dantsw13

After 4 rides, mine is a bit of a pig. I’ve had the saddle ping back undemanded, I’ve had the saddle not come up, cable tension needs constant adjustment.

I think a full strip is in order. I might also replace the whole hose with some decent cable outer.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Not the ice post but a heads up re this generic group of cheaper posts…

Cannock grit was tough on my traildrop for the three months I had a 27.2 version…had to service every 3-4 of rides even with a boot or it would start getting sticky. Eventually stopped returning without a pull on the saddle to help….next service revealed a useful bit of info……..

…..and it’s now back to a rigid with potential disaster averted. My advice…..service and check regularly!! (me 44 and 92kg on a soul, no major offs and occasionally a couple of feet airborne but nothing crazy. Maybe there’s a reason they’re all cheap or maybe only for smaller guys in the 27.2 format??).

bedmaker

*Goes to check V8 post* 😯

Mine is fine, I slatehered the boot in silicone grease and put waterproof grease inside the post. It’s clean as a whistle in there despite some very grubby rides.

Mine was sticky at first but once the plastic guide bush had worn a bit it works fine. Compared to the reverb on my other bike it is clunky and horrid really but it does the job.

BillOddie

Kiwifiz, did you have the cable routing at the front or at the rear of the post?

smiff
    Free Member

i suspect the metal shavings i found were from the steel spring bottom end rotating against the silver alloy bottom cap. there should be a plastic piece betweeen spring and end cap? anyone confirm please?

as for those cracks above.. yikes. it’s fairly thick steel on mine, how thick is yours?

kiwifiz
    Free Member

@BillOddie…..standard rear cable routing

@smiff
    ….hole in profile above shows thickness. Key word being hole/holes in this particular model being potential structural weak points. Imagine fairly similar throughout these generic posts? It’s hardly going to be high end steel at the cost I’m guessing….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘ICE Lift V8 seatpost’ is closed to new replies.