Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ice cream recipe (and ice cream recipe book)?
  • higgo
    Free Member

Daughter is getting an ice cream maker for Xmas tomorrow and it’s a racing certainty that she’s going to want to make some tomorrow afternoon.

There are no recipes in with it.

It would be good if I can get the ingredients today.

Anyone got a good, simple, tasty ice cream recipe? Also, any recommendations for a book of ice cream recipes?

I know google exists and will go there if I have to but nothing beats the practical experience of all you lovely STWers.

bigblackshed

I can do you a proper vanilla or an exotic mascarpone & Marsala wine. There is normally a fight over the last bit, so they must be good.

Easiest would be a photo of the recipe. Email in profile.

higgo
    Free Member

I’ll take both if that’s OK.
    (though the one without the marsala is prob better for the nine year olds)
    Emailing now….

bigblackshed

Just walked in to the kitchen and The Wife is making Christmas pudding ice cream as I type. 😀

Now I’ve been told to keep me hand off until Boxing Day. 😥

bigblackshed

Higgo.

YGM.

Enjoy.

higgo
    Free Member

Will do.
    Ta.

jonstanley
    Free Member

One name, David Lebovitz.

Has some recipes on his website… though obviously get his book too:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/category/recipes/ice-creams-and-sorbets/

Vanilla is the classic, add a dash more salt for salted-vanilla to make a more “grown up” ice-cream:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/02/vanilla-ice-cream/

Got fresh mint? Fresh mint choc-chip ice-cream is a whole different level from supermarket stuff:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/05/mint-chip-ice-cream-recipe-chocolate/

Whilst not an ice-cream… Mr. Lebovitz dark chocolate sorbet is orgasmically good and super simple on ingredients (dark chocolate, cocoa power, sugar, water, pinch salt, vanilla essence):

http://food52.com/blog/3680_david_lebovitzs_chocolate_sorbet

Have fun! 😉

bigblackshed

Higgo.

YGM again.

matthewjb
    Free Member

This is a great book to get started with.

higgo
    Free Member

Just an update and thanks….

We’ve made three lots of ice-cream since Xmas now.
    First off was the ‘proper’ vanilla recipe that bbs kindly sent through and that was delicious. We followed that with the mascarpone and marsala one, although we didn’t have any marsala so substituted madeira. This was very nice too.

She was given a Ben & Jerry’s recipe book too so we’ve done one from there. That was very good ice-cream too but the least favourite of the three with both adults and children. Everyone thought it tasted like ‘good shop ice-cream’ without that extra homemade specialness.

I’ve put the David Lebovitz book in my Amazon wish list so may get that one day but Mrs Higgo chucked out a load of food magazines today from under the coffee table so she and daughter went through them all cutting out all the ice-cream/yoghurt/sorbet recipes and putting them in a folder so we’ve got a fair few to go at ’til we run out of ideas (or arteries).

Thanks all for the suggestions.
    I am off to get fat(ter).

higgo
    Free Member

p.s. despite having opened it up a couple of days before Xmas and concluded that:
    a) the bowl didn’t need freezing
    b) there were no recipes on the instructions sheet.
    we opened it up on Xmas day and found that:
    a) the bowl did need freezing
    b) there were four recipes on the instructions sheet.

So… we didn’t get the first ice-cream until Boxing Day and I didn’t actually need any recipes but I doubt the bundled recipes were as good as the two bbs sent me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ice cream recipe (and ice cream recipe book)?’ is closed to new replies.