Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • IANAL, and as such need some advice…. (shoddy workmanship content)
  • alpin
    Free Member

**i do not want to name and shame as there is a slight chance the company boss is on here.**

long story, but essentially i had some work done on our van back in summer. there were some issues, mostly cosmetic, and one biggie… we had been fobbed off with a sub-standard part and only found out after i asked why something had been patched up.

we are now over in the UK to get the cosmetic aspects put right, but after having visited the parent company it now transpires that a main element of the structural work was not carried out as expected. corners were cut. we were lied to.

at the time we knew no better, but now we do.

we will visit the workshop next week. i want to know what my rights are with regard to what we expect should be done and what needs putting right. on top of that, due to me being here i’m not working and have incured fuel and hotel costs of several hundred pounds and have put an extra 2000 “unnecessary” miles on the van. is there any thing i can do about being reimbursed?

sorry it’s somewhat vague, but as said, i’d rather not go into too much detail here.

(email in profile, if need be….)

thank yous in advance….

piemonster

Can’t help.

But I’d really like to see IANAL dropped from use. Thread title reads quite badly.

HTH

Well, I don’t really. Good luck anyway.

mattyfez

Too vague to comment really..

You were not happy about some work that was done on your van so you traveled to the UK to fix it?

legend
    Free Member

It is too vague really. Is the work dangerous, incorrect, it just not as good as expected?

I’d forget about the consequential damages from the off. Not their fault that you took the van miles away

bearnecessities

But I’d really like to see IANAL dropped from use. Thread title reads quite badly falsely raises my expectations.

alpin
    Free Member

yeah…. one aspect of the work is only available in the UK…. and that aspect is the one that was royally bodged. looking back i could have done as good a job myself. the work wasn’t carried out to the manufacturers guidelines. fortunately for us the manufacturer has taken pity on us and put right the work at their own expense.

basically, what come back do we have?

i don’t want to go in with all guns blazing threatening court action, but would like to know roughly what can be done/said to garuntee the work is carried out properly.

we spent neigh-on 10k with them….

alpin
    Free Member

obviously not their fault that we chose to travel across Europe to have the work done.

sadexpunk

think it is a bit too vague really mate. can you not tell us the work involved without naming a company?

obviously changing a clutch wouldnt involve all this cost and travelling so are we talking something like a vw camper conversion?

scotroutes

If they are fixing the work under some sort of warranty then I think that’s all you can expect. Any consequential loss as a result of you travelling to and from Europe is irrelevant.

Are you suggesting that there is some other work that they’ve not yet agreed to fix?

Junkyard
    Free Member

i think he is saying it was not all done and what was done was not done well enough

Perhaps a camper van conversion where they did not do some stuff as expected/ to standard

I cant see what else you would be spending 10 k on van tbh

TBH you have been so vague we cannot comment as we are guessing at what you mean

alpin
    Free Member

mr Punk and Junky have it….

some work was done internally (not mechanical) by the comapny. were we in the UK we would have seen to it that the aspects we are not happy with were put right straight away. as it is we live in Germany and i have a business there to run.

in addition to the internal work, a roof was fitted. the canvas was damaged (according to the comapany this happened prior to them receiving the roof). the damage was patched up and not mentioned to us until we asked the manufacturer what the patches were for. it was at this point the company owned up to having patched the canvas.

at the manufacturers premises and at their expense the canvas was replaced. whilst this work was being done it transpired that there is a long list of things that were either missed, scrimped on or bodged by the company.

legend
    Free Member

edit, coz answered above

crankboy
    Free Member

If the work was done in England or Wales the sale of goods act / supply of goods and services act are your friends so the work bits should be fit for purpose ie done right so you can sue for the cost of remedial work but should give them the opportunity to put the job right unless you have a genuine argument that you have lost all trust and confidence in their abilities . You should argue for any additional expenses that would have been within their knowledge at the time the contract was made . badly worded but basically if you supply me with a car part and it is defective you owe me a car part but if you supply me with a car tyre knowing it is for a commercial trip and it is defective you owe me the cost of replacement transport.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Phone the company and ask them to put it right.
    If they refuse start a thread on a few different forums such as the T4 / T5 forum, Vzi, piston heads mentioning the company and document the crap work.
    You could even hit up their FB and twitter feeds with a similar thing.
    They wont like that and will probably sort it out at that point.
    If that fails take it to another company and get a quote to replace / repair the work and then off to the small claims court..

alpin
    Free Member

^^ T4forum doesn’t let you name and shame….. and besides, i’d rather not go down that dirty laundry route.

thanks, crankboy…. that’s what i’m after, i think.

they will have the van next week and are hopefully able to put right the work they have done.

however, i’m somewhat sceptical as to whether or not they are capable of doing so.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I hope its not a company in Llanelli..

alpin
    Free Member

nope.

RoterStern
    Free Member

however, i’m somewhat sceptical as to whether or not they are capable of doing so.

As I understand it they told you that the work done by their partner company was sub standard. They didn’t have to tell you that. Seems like they are willing to put things right for you.

alpin
    Free Member

not their partner company…. company we first dealt with installs a product that the manufacturer (who has already put right some of the work of the first company out of goodwill) produces.

atlaz
    Free Member

fortunately for us the manufacturer has taken pity on us and put right the work at their own expense.

So it’s fixed and it didn’t cost you any more money. Where’s the problem other than ethics or the moral aspect? If you get any refund, will you pay the manufacturer? I appreciate you’ve got some mileage on the van but you’re heading into goodwill territory really.

cynic-al
    Free Member

would like to know roughly what can be done/said to garuntee the work is carried out properly.

Nothing can guarantee that. You just have to not give up and get legaif nec

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘IANAL, and as such need some advice…. (shoddy workmanship content)’ is closed to new replies.