Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • I saw a deer…. Commuting Nature Watch
  • ojom
    Free Member

On Monday i saw a Roe Deer in colinton dell, (edinburgh). Thought i was very lucky indeed – it jumped out the bracken and ran in front of me for a few seconds.

Being chuffed with that i thought it was a one off…

This morning another one (bigger) jumped straight across the trail about 2m in front – cue brakes!

What sights do you get on your commute? I reckon this is pretty cool as the dell is surrounded on all sides by suburbia. There must be a community of deer living in there all happy.

akira

Going through Richmond Park you see hundreds, often sleeping very close to tracks. Does brighten up your morning commute.

ononeorange

Not a commuting "spot" but Mrs Ononeorange took a pic last week of one walking right past our kitchen window. It was a Muntjac it turned out (hear them making a strange barking sound at night. Now we know what's making that weird noise). Sorry, no bike content!

D0NK

Seen a couple of deer just as I get offroad at the bottom of my street only 20m or so from the nearest houses.
    Loadsa rabbits, squirreels etc, seen a fox, and on the canal I've seen herons and swans. Never seen a badger yet.

jam-bo

dartmoor ponies. suicidal maniacs.

cuckoo
    Free Member

In the last month I have seen brown hare (twice), fox, terns attacking a heron, stoat hypnotising a rabbit, buzzard (about 5 feet away) plus numerous other birds.

Never seen a deer though 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

ha – i was riding down the descent to tarf side on the tarfside horse shoe loop (round by cockcairn) and i was hammering down the descent flat out … and i thought shit jayne is motoring shes along side me – i could hear and see something moving to me left ….

got to a bit in the trail where i could look , a heard of deer were running along side me in the heather – 2 stags and 5 or 6 wimmin and kids … they ran past me and bounded across the trail infront – a good 6 or 8 foot wide without touching it !

and yesterday i saw a ickle kiddy deer and a buzzard at close quarters near dellavaird on my ride to work. but i do auchenblae to dyce largely on deserted roads – except for 12k on the a90 cycle path and crossing north anderson drive i only saw 2 cars apparntly im in the sticks now and this sorta things normal – we love it. If only we could ever afford to buy a house like the one we are renting (for not alot of money) Eq houses in rural areas like this are all like 200k 🙁

docrobster
    Free Member

Not commuting but a few weeks ago coming back from the pub late at night I saw a badger in Bingham park Sheffield. It ran out from the brook and along the path for 50 yards or so. Never seen one before in the wild as it were.

allthepies
    Free Member

Deer, herons, swans, ducks, geese. Not necessarily all on the same commute mind.

hora
    Free Member

OP- same happened to me at Guisburn almost fell off in awe 😀

cakeeater
    Free Member

I saw a lady cyclist run over a pigeon at the top of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh yesterday. Don't think she even realisied and just kept going, probably thought it was just a loose cobble! Often see urban foxes if heading home a bit later than usual.

ononeorange

Cake eater – was she being pursued by an "admirer" from STW? 😀

crazy-legs

Herons are normally really nervous birds but there's one on the canal that I commute on which will just stand there as I ride past inches away. I've sat there taking pictures of it for 15 minutes a few feet away in the past.

See rabbits, foxes, buzzards, stoats/weasels and (if I'm really lucky), kingfishers.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I tend to see loads of wildlife on my early morning Chilterns rides. Every ride I see a number of deer, sometimes very close up, one jumped over a fence right in front of me the other day, very graceful. Foxes, tons of red kites (they are mahoosive up close), hares (lots of them around surprisingly), and the usual kamikaze squirrels that like to run straight across my path. Oh, and alpacas, but they're not strictly speaking "wildlife" 🙂

spacemonkey

There were 16 in the field next to our house last night when I took the furry fella out for a walk. Have normally seen groups of 5-10 across neighbouring fields, but to see so many in one gathering was cool.

On the subject of deer, I was running along the trail that parallels with Juniper Valley about 3-4 months ago, when a deer popped out from my right and ran alongside me (albeit about 15 feet away) for about 200m. T'was somewhat unusual.

WillH

Saw a seal playing around in the harbour last year (Tauranga, NZ), just a couple of yards from the cycle path. Me and a random passer-by stood and watched it for a few minutes then it swam off. Made my day.

rootes1

Going through Richmond Park you see hundreds, often sleeping very close to tracks. Does brighten up your morning commute.

yer often with a few corvids on their backs having a free ride!

once saw a stoat (resplendent in winter coat) at the side of the basingstoke canal after a night ride tunnel hill area

lovewookie

I too see lots of wildlife on my morning rides. Quite often get foxes lounging in the long grass to the back of my house and deer nibbling the shrubbery.

We often hear buzzards being chased off by seagulls too, sounds surreal, but it's quite something to see them dive bombing a buzzard who's come to steal their young.

Also get to see a few heron on the canal too. very nice.

🙂

There are some advantages to getting up at 5:30-6am for a spin on the bike.

Dancake
    Free Member

My favourite was a buzzard swooping down and gliding along the track in front of me before gracefully going on it's way. Really big, too. I have chased a deer along the road once as well in the same area at dusk.
    Night rides are cool because you can hear snuffling and see the occasional pair of eyes…

jimmydc
    Free Member

I live just down from leith hill and sometimes commute along coldharbour lane. You get the lot – deer, owls, occasional birds of prey. Lovely stuff.

topangarider
    Free Member

Earlier in the year when my commute was around dawn, I often saw a Barn Owl and couple of times it flew alongside me at head height just the other side of the hedge for a good mile.

Got to work with a smile those days.

chriswilk
    Free Member

deer are a common sight on my commute. In particular around Penicuik, down Pistachio and on the WOL around Colinton. Also often see Herons at Glencorse and owls if it's dawn/dusk. Foxes and buzzards aplenty too and an occasional badger that I steer well clear of. On the longer commutes I see plenty of hares around 9 mile burn area.

pault41
    Free Member

Saw a Red Deer just below ,coed y brynin early evening ,fantastic sight .

"…they ran past me and bounded across the trail infront – a good 6 or 8 foot wide without touching it !" then went and told their mates about the road gap they had done. 😀

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

Saw a Zebra this morning…

phiiiiil

There's loads of wildlife on Cannock Chase, especially in Spring and Summer when it's a bit quieter. Late last year in the dark I hooned around a corner on Cannock Chase on my way home from work and met a stag coming the other way; that was nearly brown trousers time. It stared at me for a bit (felt like ages!) then walked off… it knew who was the boss.

More recently I saw something that looked like a fox but was very dark brown, almost black… I still have no idea what it was…

Shak47

See quite a few deer, young and old on the banks of the River Kelvin just past Maryhill, got quite a shock one night when one jumped the trail in front of me, thought I was getting ambushed by the Maryhill fleeto or something.
    Problem is their are a number of neds /animal murderers apparently hunting the poor things,due to proximity to housing estates, one was found cut open and strung up on a washing line in someones back garden last year.

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

looked like a fox but was very dark brown, almost black

Sounds like the elusive 'black fox' they were after on springwatch…

MrGrim

Quite regularly see the odd Gruffalo.

woffle
    Free Member

On my daily commute out in the Sussex countryside I've seen :

Numerous badgers. Usually at least one a morning (pass a couple of setts).
    Foxes
    Deer – normally it's a couple of youngsters or does but occasionally I've seen the big stag (which is quite intimidating). I've had one of the large herds cross in front of me (20+). They look spectacular emerging from the ground fog at sunrise…
    A couple of weasels
    A couple of hedgehogs.
    An unidentified BIG bird of prey that sits on a particular tree and picks off birds feeding on the fields.
    There's a nesting barn owl locally. Sometimes see that – best time was when it flew about 5 yards in front of me at head hight for about 500 yds. Looks like a ghost and scared the life out of me when I first saw it (I pass through some rather creepy woods, normally in the dark)
    A variety of other birdlife – pheasants etc.
    Too many magpies
    A smorgasbord of roadkill.
    The usual farm animals.

coastkid
    Free Member

Out in the sticks here in East Lothian i see loads, not all these daily!
    buzzards, kestrals,barn owls(winter mornings)
    badger set a stone throw from workshop,
    loads of hares and rabbits,
    odd fox,
    frogs and toads on the road,
    slugs and snails,
    **** crows,
    working on a golf course it is basicly a wildlife reserve with alot of the above plus;
    newts,
    moles (arrrrghhh!)
    shrews,
    on and around the ponds,
    eels
    little grebe,
    oyster catcher,
    water vole,
    mallard,
    teal,
    waterhen,
    curlew,
    visiting geese-pinkfeet and greylag,
    family of swans on the ponds,
    tawny owls in wood,
    partrage
    eider ducks
    pheasants etc….
    adjoinging fields of cows and sheeps
    but would rather see some beaver! 😆

jhw
    Free Member

Go by London zoo every morning so see the giraffes and occasionally okapis, top that! Or warthogs and wild dogs if go by the canal

swamp_boy

Inside the M25 but there are loads of bunnies round here, plus foxes and the odd badger and hedgehog, mainly when the light's going. Also plenty of Muntjac deer in Bricket Wood, despite all the people who use it. Occasional kingfisher along the river, usually all you see is a blue flash as they take off, some nice big chub in the pools too. Green woodpeckers, heard more often than seen. Local play farm has Llamas as well as the usual sheep, goats, pigs etc. Once saw two humans mating in one of the quieter spots.

ronniebiggs
    Free Member

i had a near miss with one just two weeks ago we both met on the same corner going at speed man i shat my self,

Cronny
    Free Member

Seen loads of stuff in the peaks including stouts, weasels (one with rabbit in mouth) kestrels, and hares but the best by far was spotting a common lizard on the shooting cabin path near Hayfield. Never seen one since.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I'll see you the same stuff here in the FoD. Fallow deer as common as the sheep. Badgers aplenty, foxes like dogs. See the odd Roe and in a 1 place Muntjack. otters have been seen but not for a while( Well by me anyway). Buzzards are becoming a noisy nuisance rather than a novelty but the Peregrines and Goshawks are worth a stare.
    Raise you a boar or ten. effing pain in the dark as they moot in the verges with their arses in the road. Being black they are rather hidden but they don't half damage a car.

busydog
    Free Member

Here in New Mexico, wildlife pretty common (even in my front yard in Albuquerque–coyotes, deer, and occasionally a bear wanders down from the mountains and very rarely a mountain lion). In the winter the deer come down from the high mountains to the foothills and it gets your heart-rate cranked up when one jumps across the trail in front of you.

On a ride last weekend in the Jemez mountains in the new Valles Caldera National Preserve, I saw bear, deer, elk, coyotes, numerous eagles & hawks and best of all—- nary a human being all day.

If any of you guys/gals ever come over this way and want a really cool ride, check into the Valles Calderas:

http://www.vallescaldera.gov/comevisit/

You have to make a reservation to ride and they only allow 80 bikes on a given available day(in several rides I never saw more than 6 on the busiest day) and riding only on alternate weekends in the summer (under 6-8 feet of snow all winter). Not a technical/hard ride (except for the 8200-9200 feet in elevation), but pretty magnificent scenery and solitude. Probably 80+ miles of trails/old logging roads and most of all, the wildlife.

sharki
    Free Member

where do i start?

my 4 month 700 mile commute, i saw many things, from birthing sheep, mating beetles, sharks, seals, chuffs, deer, snakes, etc….

ratadog

I don't commute by bike but see roe deer on early morning rides round the NY Moors fairly regularly. If I understand correctly Roe deer detect movement ( and obviously scent). Certainly, a coasting bicycle coming from downwind tends to get careful consideration rather than fear, at least until you are close enough for them to either get a scent or work out that whilst you aren't strictly moving you are getting a lot bigger. At which point they tend to light the blue touch paper and leave at speed. Foxes on the other hand tend to see you from a distance away and nonchalantly fade into the trees.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

The only wildlife I have seen was a very bizarre goth glamour photo shoot on the Water of Leith. Do goths count as wildlife?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘I saw a deer…. Commuting Nature Watch’ is closed to new replies.