Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • I read this, and I thought of Drac….then got depressed.
  • Jamie
    Free Member

At nearly 2am last Thursday the young woman lying on a bench outside the bar in London’s West End is so drunk she has passed out. She is in no state to notice, much less care, that her short skirt has ridden up – and she does not appear to be wearing knickers – or indeed that her Gucci handbag and credit cards are there for the taking.

Guardian Linky

lucien

Now there’s a moral dilema……..

project
    Free Member

Somebodies daughter or girlfreind , a scene seen all around the uk, and the paramedics and ambulance technicians have to sort it out by taking her to hospital, tieing up valuable resourses because the stupid woman had to much to drink.

Just imagine if your mother or father was having a heart attack and the only ambulance was taxiing a drunk to hospital, just cover the drunk with a blanket and phone a taxi for them, if a taxi wont take them to hospital why should an ambulance.

meehaja
    Free Member

Need that in Leeds. I wont let drunk women into the RRV anymore after too many colleagues have had complaints/allegations against them, either from patients or unappreciative partners. Frankly, its a s**t time of year to be a paramedic.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m not so sure that Gucci is Drac’s style though..
    I saw a prog on these a couple of weeks ago, not a job I could do, respect to the dudes that do.

qwerty
    Free Member

and she does not appear to be wearing knickers

yea, yea… like they didn’t have a good gawp and check!!!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What, reading a Grauniad article? 😕

The worst drunks I see invariably tend to be in the City/Canary Wharf, and are often well-paid types who just don’t have any self-control. Loads of coked-up tossers about too, which can be well dodgy. I’ve seen more fights in pubs with trendy affluent young types in than any ‘rough’ East End Boozer.

No knickers though, in this weather. She cooduv caught her death. 😐

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nice.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Do folk today not have that built in homing device thing that started you on your way home as soon as it thought there was a high probability you might not make it if you had any more to drink?

Jamie
    Free Member

Do folk today not have that built in homing device thing that started you on your way home as soon as it thought there was a high probability you might not make it if you had any more to drink?

Beerdar? Evidently not.

DezB
    Free Member

Drinking culture of this country is so pathetic and sad.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Yet another reason why paramedics (and other health professionals) should really be paid *way* more than they are.

FWIW I spent much of my 20’s not knowing where I was or pretty much what my name was, luckily never needed assistance though and always weaved my way home somehow.

emma82
    Free Member

That is quite disturbing but I agree with this:

This is what I had, could get home from a 20 mile radius! Full credit to paramedics though, I’d just kick them out on the street and leave them there is someone spat or shouted at me when I was trying to help. Trouble is booze is so cheap and people try a d save even more by getting hammered then heading in to get even more hammered. I can get a triple vodka red bull at a local club for £2, went out a few months ago and thought my vodka lemonade was strong, turned out it was Bogof on shots and the just turned 18 barmaid just assumed no one would turn down double shots so didn’t even ask if anyone wanted it. Idiot. No wonder people puke everywhere

noteeth
    Free Member

Also bear in mind that the consequences go far beyond the immediate carnage on the streets and in A+E – there’s been a pretty grim rise in alcohol-related disorders (and in ever-younger patients).

DezB
    Free Member

FWIW I spent much of my 20’s not knowing where I was or pretty much what my name was, luckily never needed assistance though and always weaved my way home somehow.
    and that’s exactly hate the sort of thing people should be ashamed of. But they ain’t.

crazy-legs

Friend of mine is a paramedic in London and she reckons dealing with the drunks is the worst part of her job. So common as well, 50% of her callouts are to pissed up people who have collapsed.

I used to work with a girl, PhD chemist, very intelligent and a genuinely brilliant chemist but her entire weekend was spent almost comatose. Every weekend. Out Friday straight after work, in bed hungover all day Saturday, repeat. Really weird, I just couldn’t work out how or why she had nothing else other than work and being absolutely paralytic. She was really proud of it too. 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

Trouble is booze is so cheap

I don’t think this is the case most the time. As the article said, a lot of the people picked up are clearly can afford decent booze. It’s more the inexperience, lack of self control and possibly peer pressure.*

*Possibly.

and that’s exactly the sort of thing people should be ashamed of. But they ain’t.

True dat. When I go to stay with my brother in Athens, you can go out into the local squares and there are families out and teenagers etc just drink coffee at gone 10pm. I think it’s a climate thing or something.

Drac

All to regular I’m afraid, no not me without my knickers I’m more controlled now, it’s a sight in all towns and cities. There is no definitive group either, I see young and old like this, there’s more young people go out though so that’s why there’s more. It’s not in the posh areas, poor areas or anywhere in between it’s all areas.

If they’ve made a genuine mistake, apologise and go on there way it’s fine it’s often a passer by who rings but if they become nasty abusive then they won’t get any treatment. If the stone cold out of it they need my help and they’ll get it but it’s frustrating for sure.

Still after 22 years I love the job, I’m paid reasonably well but trying to do it in my 50s won’t be easy never mind when I’m 68.

DezB
    Free Member

Dunno why the word ” hate” appeared instead of “The” there. IPad typo!

Jamie
    Free Member

Dunno why the word ” hate” appeared instead of “The” there. IPad typo!

Yeah yeah. Dez is smashed again.

DezB
    Free Member

Your my besht mate you is

Kevevs
    Free Member

put the heating on and drink at home you pissheads!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

We all know who’s to blame for that though don’t we, eh? 😐

LivesonHaylingIslandmentionnonames…..

I just couldn’t work out how or why she had nothing else other than work and being absolutely paralytic. She was really proud of it too.

Ah it’s a laugh though innit? Go out, get pissed up, have a fight, throw up over a copper or paramedic. 😆

Was a phase when it weren’t a good night out unless there was Babylonian Intervention. Always seemed to kick off just as I was about to pull though, which was annoying. 😡

Es and Cannabis and that are far better though tbh. Used to go out on an E buzz, never ended up wrecked doing that.

Oh no but that’s dangerous and immoral we can’t possible have that. 😯

Pft.

One of the problems is that we’re treated like children, too many rules surrounding the use of alcohol and drugs) and we end up where we are.

Hey ho.

emma82
    Free Member

Blimey I’ve led a really sheltered life, been drunk a few times growing up but never done anything worse than drink! Perhaps I should get stoned, drunk and puke over some paramedics this Christmas so I can say I’ve lived it up? 😯 Definitely cant be losing my knickers though, I get cystitis if I get a chill on my fanny so I’ll have to keep thermals on 😀

Trouble is booze is so cheap

I’m generalising people in my own area Jamie, there’s no posh intelligent types round here, they just get drunk cos it’s cheap!

Jamie
    Free Member

You’re just so damn cool, Elf.

Hopefully the booze bus is driving past me soon, as I am about to hit the deck…

*swoooooooooon*

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Definitely cant be losing my knickers though, I get cystitis if I get a chill on my fanny so I’ll have to keep thermals on

😆

Very sensible.

I’m not condoning my previous behaviour, but equally I won’t beat myself up over it. I was young, stuff happened. Not proud of it, but equally not ashamed of it either. There’s many, many more people doing far, far worse than I’ve ever done.

You’re just so damn cool, Elf.

Some of us have it, Jamie; others can only dream… 8)

Woody
    Free Member

I’m paid reasonably well but trying to do it in my 50s won’t be easy

RRV is the answer Drac 😉

Attended a ‘binge drinker’ found outside her house unable to stand this week who was almost 80…….. ……….I kid you not!

scaredypants

I get cystitis if I get a chill on my fanny so I’ll have to keep thermals on

😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Attended a ‘binge drinker’ found outside her house unable to stand this week who was almost 80…….. ……….I kid you not!

Hopefully she had her knickers bloomers on.

donsimon
    Free Member

Hopefully she had her knickers bloomers on.

Hopefully he wasn’t looking.

Woody
    Free Member

Thankfully yes but embarrassingly flirty 😳

Edit: comment was in reply to jamie
    DS – of course not, I’d just had my dinner

Drac

RRV is the answer Drac

’tis true.

Jamie
    Free Member

RRV is the answer Drac

/googles

RRV Ross River Virus
    RRV Rhesus Rotavirus
    RRV Resident Return Visa (Australia)
    RRV Rapid Response Vehicle
    RRV Returning Resident’s Visa (New Zealand)
    RRV Road Rail Vehicle (Back-hoe excavator used on both rail and normal ground)
    RRV Record Relocation Vector (Lotus Notes)
    RRV Royal Rifle Volunteers (UK military)
    RRV Rhodesian Reconnaissance Vest
    RRV Routing Requirements Vector

…any of those?

Woody
    Free Member

4th one

Jamie
    Free Member

Ahh, thought so. Yet, was hoping it was going to be Rhodesian Reconnaissance Vest.

brack
    Free Member

RRV is the answer ?? Seriously?

As a one key fits all mugtitioner who gets dispatched to all and sundry and trys to fit a few complex referrals/ discharges as well…

Ive had more bloomin abuse on the car than in my entire previous 16 years.( and thats not including the abuse from sniping crews and awkward hosp admission staff 😆 )

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I was also hoping it would be a Rhodesian Reconnaissance Vest. In fact, I want a Rhodesian Reconnaissance Vest.

Although it would have to be a Zimbabwean Reconnaissance Vest strcitly speaking. Unless youtravel back in time…

P20

I’m happier on RRV. I wasn’t unhappy on the crews beforehand.
    There are upsides to being a Paramedic, delivered 1st baby today 😀

Drac

YAY! P20 it’s a great feeling but not one I’m keen to repeat.

We have strict guidelines for what our RRV vehicles are sent to Brack.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    and that’s exactly hate the sort of thing people should be ashamed of. But they ain’t.

Not remotely ashamed, a normal part of growing up.

Though I concede that may be a (particularly British?) issue in itself.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘I read this, and I thought of Drac….then got depressed.’ is closed to new replies.