Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • I need to tell you we are recording this phone call………
  • Xylene
    Free Member

AA phoned – First thing they said – I need to tell you we are recording this phone call.

Told him to stop recording it then I would speak to him, after a load of waffle, explaining why he was recording it, to make sure he did his job properly and wasn’t abusive to me or me to him.

He started his waffle and I gave him a few minutes, then pointed out I still hadn’t agreed to the phone call being recorded and I would now like him to delete the call even though I hadn’t said anything.

He claims he can’t, and starts on again about the cover if I get in an accident. I reminded him that I hadn’t agreed to the phone call being recorded and found it quite strange that he phoned people up to tell them that he was recording the call.

Kept him on the phone for 9 minutes and 23 seconds.

A record so far.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That’s nothing. I once told a cold caller to ‘hang on while I turn the gas on the cooker down’. Poor sod was still there over twenty minutes later. 😳

Hello?

Hello?

Hello?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDZcqBgCS74[/video]

sc-xc

You must feel very proud.

donsimon
    Free Member

What exactly do you think they’re going to do with the recorded message? If they do release the transcripts in The Telegraph, I will change papers.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You must feel very proud.

No I feel utterly ashamed of myself actually, and perform a daily ritual penance of listening to Lionel Ritchie’s ‘Hello’. 😐

As I have done here.

Am I forgiven?

thegreatape
    Free Member

What I don’t like is when your bank or credit card or someone ring up about your account, then ask you for security information to verify who you are. I pointed out to my bank the other day that they could be anyone, which clearly hadn’t occurred to the chap, so I wasn’t going to tell him anything and would they like to post it to me. Which they did. 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve challenged my bank with my own security questions in those situations before. Really knocks them for 6.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

I always think I’d like to wind up a cold caller, but guilt gets the better of me – they’re only doing a job, and possibly not that great paid a job in the grand scheme of things, without getting grief from me. It’s only if they’re cheeky or such like that I’ll start back at them. Also never verify stuff to anyone claiming to be the bank (or any company even), I know who I am, they should prove who they are and that they should be speaking to me.

kevj
    Free Member

I don’t mind most security questions but what gets my goat is when they ask me to confirm my telephone number.

Er, its the eleven digits you just put into the phone at your end and also happens to be the correct code for my little box of tricks that just rang. Which I have just answered.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP you are AWESOME

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve challenged my bank with my own security questions in those situations before. Really knocks them for 6.

+1

The “how do I know who you say you are? Can you answer these questions about my account…” always throws them. 😀

Xylene
    Free Member

Yes, the bank calling and refusing to speak to you until they have verified who you are is a strange one. Especially when they cannot confirm who they until they have confirmed who you are.

What is that all about then?

chvck
    Free Member

As bazookajoe says it’s probably just some bloke doing a job. By holding them on the line you’re probably just destroying any chance he has of getting a bonus or the like.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I always think I’d like to wind up a cold caller, but guilt gets the better of me – they’re only doing a job

And I’m only trying to chill out in the comfort and privacy of my own home, and don’t take to kindly to the telephone I pay for getting clogged up with calls from people trying to sell me stuff I don’t want. Why don’t those call centre workers ‘only do a job’ which doesn’t involve intruding on my privacy?

Junk mail I can ignore, throw in bin. Cold calls, I have to answer. Speshly annoying when you’re expecting an important call.

So, no sympathy.

‘I was only doing my job’

Where’ve we heard that before, eh?

Thin end….

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Similar with the CSA phoning me once

They phoned me, then said I needed to answer some questions so they could check they were speaking to the right person 🙄 apparently I failed their identification test, so they couldn’t continue the call -at which point they stalled and went into a flat spin when I reminded them that they were phoning me, and that it was ridiculous phoning me and asking me to identify myself, as if it wasn’t me, they wouldn’t have had my phone number,

Next time they call, I’m going to ask them a series of questions to prove who they are before I’ll speak to them 😆

brakes
    Free Member

just to let you know, I’m writing down everything that’s been said in this thread

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Why not list your numbers on the TPS then ???

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

TPS doesn’t actually work when call centres are based abroad, that’s why…

Anyway; why should I have to pay extra just to stop unwanted callers?

No need to abuse the poor sod on the end of the line, but tell me why I should respect a company that doesn’t respect my right to privacy?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

PLEASE THINK of the environment before printing this thread

andyl
    Free Member

Is not a bit silly for a bank to record calls were you are going through security questions? 😀

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Sorry Elfin, but if the company is calling on behalf of a company that is based in the UK then they do have to screen their calls against the TPS list.

And the TPS is free ???

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

just to let you know, I’m writing down everything that’s been said in this thread

Why not just copy and paste it, like a normal person would (well, if thay actually did need to record the content…)? 😕

Technology FAIL, Brakes. Sorry, but it’s true.

Sorry Elfin, but if the company is calling on behalf of a company that is based in the UK then they do have to screen their calls against the TPS list.

I know folk who have it, and it doesn’t actually work very well. Even against ‘UK based’ companies.

I din’t realise it was free though. Thought you had to pay for it. Din’t you used to?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I worked in tele sales, TPS doesn’t work really. People report less calls but it depends on how the company got your number as to if they call. Some people would get upset you called them, quote laws and stuff as they had TPS. That was the worst job I ever had.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I agree with the sentiment that they’re got a job to do and it’s better than going robbing grannies. However, it doesn’t apply to the AA. Once they get your number for one thing, every business stream they have will pester you forever.

aracer
    Free Member

Sorry Elfin, but if the company is calling on behalf of a company that is based in the UK then they do have to screen their calls against the TPS list

Do you not get people phoning up doing a survey then? This appears to be a way round the TPS (either that or our TPS registration doesn’t work).

Xylene
    Free Member

However, it doesn’t apply to the AA

And BT

saladdodger
    Free Member

ELF sorry my friend you are wrong in your attitude about throwing junk mail in the bin.

What you should do is stuff it all back into the pre paid envelope and send it back so they pay 2 lots of postage as well as the costs of opening to find nowt of any worth inside but your address 😉

mightymarmite
    Free Member

To be honest in the year since we have listed with the TPS we have only had two marketing calls, and both were the result of not ticking the “buggar off and never call me” box on paperwork.

Registered after being pestered several times a night over a period of weeks by 3 mobile networks automated phone calling.

Innes
    Free Member

We registered with the TPS and the calls all but stopped. If we get a call, we mention the TPS and they nearly always say sorry and hang up.

It works well for us.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve sent other companies’ stuff back in those, but tbh, I can’t be arsed wasting my time with it.

I have a sticker on my door saying ‘no junk mail’, but it seems to be about as effective as TPS. 😐

saladdodger
    Free Member

I am dissapointed 😉

bruneep
    scottyjohn
    Free Member

I work designing contact centre platforms and the client I am working with at the moment is having to spend the most obscene amount of time and money on their systems to move towards PCI compliance. EVERYTHING has to be thought of, a new system that detects what screen an agent is on in the sales system and then sends a message to the network telling the call recording system to mask the digits the customer is entering for credit cards etc, so that it can’t be listened to via the recording system. Also, the whole network is having to be looked at, as well as the back office systems to ensure that the only things that can possibly have any contact with your card details are non-human!! Its all so complicated, and a few companies have sprung up to provide the technology for all this compliance. I must admit though, I dot like outbound calling 🙂

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Why don’t those call centre workers ‘only do a job’ which doesn’t involve intruding on my privacy?

Maybe it’s the only job they could get, or was on offer? I totally understand your point of view though, but for me I just don’t get that wound up by it. Anyone important will phone on my mobile, the house phone can always get unplugged or ignored, or youngest daughter can answer it, she’s good at screening calls – even screens out family sometimes which is useful

lynchmob
    Free Member

has anybody had the call from a guy saying ‘hello, you have a computer & the internet, can you’ then he talks you through some rubbish via telnet & basically says you have a virus. he is very pushy & difficult to get rid of. i found it amusing when i hung up & he called back straight away. i let him go through it all but then said i had a mac (i don’t) but he then hung up. i also informed my mum about this & a few weeks later she got the same. she said she had a mac & it got rid of him.
    anyone else had this?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I had one of those calls from my credit card company at the weekend, asking me to pass the security questions. I nearly got annoyed and put the phone down but glad I didn’t – it turned out my card was defrauded and sales of £4k+ had been attempted via Groupon and KGB 😮

jonb
    Free Member

AA phoned – First thing they said – I need to tell you we are recording this phone call.

“S’ok, I’m recording it too”

crispedwheel
    Free Member

This is the funniest thing I’ve read on here today:

don’t take to kindly to the telephone I pay for getting clogged up with calls from people trying to sell me stuff I don’t want.

Elfinsafety – Member

That’s nothing. I once told a cold caller to ‘hang on while I turn the gas on the cooker down’. Poor sod was still there over twenty minutes later

Hope you weren’t expecting an important call that day.
    I find a polite ‘no, sorry, I’m not interested, have a good day’ and then hang up works fine. No need to be rude, or to keep folks hanging on the phone.

samuri
    Free Member

I work designing contact centre platforms and the client I am working with at the moment is having to spend the most obscene amount of time and money on their systems to move towards PCI compliance. ….

Tell me about it, it’s my biggest pain in the bum is PCI.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hope you weren’t expecting an important call that day.

I was not, otherwise I would just have hung up.

No need to be rude, or to keep folks hanging on the phone.

I’m never rude, apart from when you get people who won’t take no for an answer, and are unreasonable, like the debt-collection firm acting for someone I’ve never had any dealings with ever. As for hanging on the telephone, this woman made me do it…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWhkbDMISl8[/video]

Besides, it prevents them harassing other poor folk, dunnit?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘I need to tell you we are recording this phone call………’ is closed to new replies.