Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • I hung my bike upsidedown and the brakes went spongy!
  • bigbob38
    Free Member

help.. big hooks in the garage roof and car and bikes fitted till the above happend – is this normal – should I store them the right way up??

Now I havn’t what sorts them..?

ta!

glenh
    Free Member

That’s because you have air in them.

Bleed / get them bled properly.

To temporarily ‘fix’ them pump the levers a few times with them the right way up – the air will head back to the reservoirs where it was before.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Can vary depending on the brake but essentially what’s happened is that a bit of air in the system would normally live in the reservoir at the top. As you’ve had the bike inverted, the top is now at the caliper. The difference is, if the air is in the reservoir, then when the lever is pulled, it’s not in the closed, working part of the circuit. If it’s near the caliper, it is in the closed working part of the circuit and makes things feel spongy. Quick easy fix is to tie the levers back in an “ON” position and this will pressurise the system and force the air up. The other ting that will help is bleeding the brakes. If there’s no in in the reservoir, then no air can travel “up” to the caliper when the bike is inverted. The other option is a couple of bits of inner tube over the bars to pull the levers, there by closing the system. Then invert the bike and hand it up with the air still trapped in the reservoir. However, of all that, best thing to do is bleed them. hope that makes sense, I’m just off to bed so it might read like gibberish.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

you might get away with pushing the pistons back into the calipers – the air bubble will be close to the master cylinders and doing this will proabaly push enough fluid back to get the air out.

it works for me on occasion anyway

thevanman
    Free Member

Avid?

coatesy
    Free Member

Listen to Onzadog, he’s talking good sense.If you have air anywhere in the system then you need to get rid of it, whilst it may be harmless sitting at the top of the reservoir, do you really want to wheel the bike through a trail gate on it’s back wheel, hop on for the downhill and discover you have no brakes at the first corner?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Magura’s?

I’ve had this frequently with Maguras.
    Put the bike up the right way.
    Rubber band or velcro strap the levers back to the bars.
    Wait a few minutes.
    Remove the bands or straps.
    Wait a few minutes for the air bubbles to work their way up the hose.
    The brakes should work OK now.

Not a permanent cure and pushing the pistons back in would probably help too, but it gets you going again as quickly as possible.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘I hung my bike upsidedown and the brakes went spongy!’ is closed to new replies.