Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • I have an independent witness
  • aracer
    Free Member

Place your bets on the chances of the police taking action on an incident where a car didn’t hit me, but only because I was paying close attention and took very quick evading action…

(for all those who say stuff only happens to people wearing cameras, I wish that would start happening to me – almost every ride recently I’ve wished I’d had one).

johndoh
    Free Member

So have you actually reported nearly being hit to the police?

aracer
    Free Member

Yep

Rockape63
    Free Member

The other day I was driving down this road with a low sun behind me when this old geezer in an XJ6 drove right across into my side and straight at me. Thank the Lord the road was wide enough to take quick evasive action, which meant he missed me.

I didn’t call the old Bill though….

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

What would you like them to do in an ideal world?

scaredypants

in an ideal world?

License revoked, big fine, first-born slaughtered. Pick two
    dangerous driving is dangerous driving, whether or not you hit somebody

this world – they’ll get quiet word from a (probably apologetic) bobby if you’re lucky
    sadly, even after a real collision the chances of any tanbgible penalty for a dangerous driver seem extermely close to zero

MoreCashThanDash

If he has a record already, the Police might have a word. If not, they will hopefully keep a note of his details in case other people have a problem with him.

But, as thankfully no one was hurt or damage done, I’m not sure I’m altogether comfortable with the Police going in heavy just on the say so of two people who say that they are independent. Rather open to abuse.

aracer
    Free Member

Are you suggesting we’re not? Witness is the driver of a car who was a few cars behind the driver in question, saw what happened and stopped when I waved to get somebody to stop. I’m sure it’s not all that hard to prove we have no connection.

The only difference between what did happen and me being in hospital right now (at best) are my reactions, not what the driver did, so I’m not sure why that should make any difference at all to whether the police charge him for an offence which he has quite clearly committed – which I presume is what you’re describing as “going in heavy”. I’m just hoping they will have a word with him.

project
    Free Member

cameras are so cheap nowadays best to get one, chap on road cycling police to press charges against a driver who hit him because the cyclist wasnt wearing hi viz.

slowoldman

License revoked, big fine, first-born slaughtered. Pick two
    dangerous driving is dangerous driving, whether or not you hit somebody

I doubt they’ll even withhold pudding.

scaredypants

I doubt they’ll even withhold pudding.

I also doubt that, if it actually came to it, that many would save their 1st-born at the expense of their license

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Reported a guy for dangerous driving and he admitted “road rage” and running me off the road to the police.

The police did nothing despite him admitting what he’d done, so I’m not holding out much hope for you. Not saying it’s right, not saying don’t bother reporting it in the future, but it clearly seems like they don’t give a manky shit about this type of thing.

CaptJon
    Free Member

curiousyellow – Member
    Reported a guy for dangerous driving and he admitted “road rage” and running me off the road to the police.

The police did nothing despite him admitting what he’d done, so I’m not holding out much hope for you. Not saying it’s right, not saying don’t bother reporting it in the future, but it clearly seems like they don’t give a manky shit about this type of thing.

Were you given a reason why nothing happened?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

No CCTV cameras and “word against word” whatever the **** that means.

Wouldn’t be the end of the matter if I called up and confessed to murder etc etc.

I actually spent some time digging up the letter and it pisses me right off. I wonder if over two years later it’s worth asking BC to have a look at it.

aracer
    Free Member

Which shouldn’t happen if he’s admitted to it, though I suspect it’s just standard procedure when only one person has reported something whatever the driver says – the guidelines for reporting says they’ll take no action if there isn’t another independent witness.

However, as in the title, I have an independent witness, so they can’t suggest that. I’m sure if the police had directly witnessed what happens they’d have pulled the driver for a word at least (it wasn’t just a driver passing too close, though my apologies as I’m deliberately avoiding giving details), let’s see what happens…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QkymuZyHMo[/video]

seosamh77
    Free Member

I mind a big 4×4 forced me in to a puddle one time, 2 secs later, blue lights flashing and the polis stopped the 4×4. As I plodded on my merry way past them I made eye contact with the driver and just laughed! 😆 Quite a satisfying morning that yin.

Obviously no bearing in your case, but the polis do care at times.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

the guidelines for reporting says they’ll take no action if there isn’t another independent witness.

Perhaps its time they amend the guidelines so they take action if there’s an admission of guilt. Seems to work fine with a lot of other crimes!

Good luck though. I hope you get justice. I’d have settled for an apology!

pjt201
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member
    I mind a big 4×4 forced me in to a puddle one time, 2 secs later, blue lights flashing and the polis stopped the 4×4. As I plodded on my merry way past them I made eye contact with the driver and just laughed! Quite a satisfying morning that yin.

Obviously no bearing in your case, but the polis do care at times.

I had similar to that, was cut up on a roundabout by a driver in a white van (it was the driver doing it not like the sentient 4×4 in your case though) who failed to notice the police car waiting to enter the roundabout at the next arm. Blue lights on and straight after the van. I think I even stuck my tongue out at the now stopped van driver. To make it even better, it was the morning of my wedding day.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘I have an independent witness’ is closed to new replies.