• This topic has 53 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by 5lab.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • I agree with Nick
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

BAck to the topic
    Nopt bad idea
    Everywher ei go muyy mum gets a discount despite being cash richer thna me.
    Lets not forget there are some pretty well off pensioners these days due to gilt edges pensions etc

She gets her winter fuel allowance ..it helps her pay the site fees to keep her 40 k brand new motor home in portugal for a few of the months she is there over winter.

druidh
    Free Member

I keep seeing this “it would cost too much to means test” but I still don’t really believe it. We are due Child Tax Credits but we’ve never claimed them as I don’t agree that we need them. However, it would appear that things like Winter Fuel Credits are paid out regardless.

loum
    Free Member

Worth a read. May help balance the books.

Home

footflaps

We had 11.58 million pensioners in 2008 (1).

It looks like it costs something like £33 per person per benefit claim to means test something (2).

So that’s something like £382 million (11.58 million x £33) to means test a benefit across pensioners.

Given than half of all pensioners live on less than £13,600 (3) you are not going to be able to withdraw the benefit for a large proportion of the pensioners, so there just isn’t a significant saving to be made overall.

This is why we don’t means test TV license and bus passes – it just doesn’t save money.

(1): http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/22/population.socialtrends
    (2): “£47 Average annual cost of maintaining an existing claim for means tested Pension Credit, compared to £14 for an existing State
    Pension claim” from NAO summary
    (3): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_in_the_United_Kingdom

binners

Could we not put them all in a great big home? Like a big cattle shed? To save on heating costs? And then as they keel over sideways they could have a on-site cremation used to heat said big shed?

Actually, as I’m typing that, I realise that by the time I retire, this may well be the case

mrblobby
    Free Member

Blimey, just watched that program with Nick Robinson about tax, sobering stuff. Thinking that maybe taking taxation and budget out of the hands of politicians may be a rather good idea 😯

jonba
    Free Member

Means testing is massively expensive. That is one of the arguements behind the flat rate pension payments. It’s cheaper to pay some people more that it is to work out a “fair” amount. It’s even cheaper to pay some people less which is even more a danger.

Universal credit could go some way to solving this. It seems daft that there are benefits that are individually means tested. What should really happen is that it is all calculated at once and you receive one payment based on your result. Not a little bit from here and a little bit from there. Could solve a lot of these problem in one go. It’ll cost a lot less to administer (Although the build cost will be high). It will also reduce the number of civil servants needed to administer it which is good or bad depending on whether you are one of them I suppose.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Means testing anything costs millions, so you can easily end up not saving anything at all…..

Very true. Y’know, the middle-classes love to bash the “handout culture” of the poor, don’t they?

Comfortably off people don’t need the government handouts they are “entitled” to claim. If they had the moral fortitude not to claim what they did not need, then means-testing and its associated costs would not be necessary.

Taking more than you need robs those in need; It’s greed. It’s a sick society, from top to bottom.

chiefgrooveguru

One of my in-laws’ friends has joked that he’d miss his winter fuel allowance as it pays for a tank of fuel for his plane…

Oxboy
    Free Member

Regardless of whether they need it or not at least the money goes back into our economy.

Unlike this

The government has defended its decision to give £1bn in aid to India, despite the rapidly increasing wealth of the emerging economic giant.

A review of UK aid will maintain aid donations to India of £280m a year until 2015, while withdrawing assistance from countries such as Vietnam, Cambodia, Serbia and Moldova, the international development secretary, Andrew Mitchell, revealed.

The decision is likely to infuriate some Conservative MPs, who believe it is time to halt aid to India, which has economic growth of 8.5% a year, gives aid to Africa, spends £20bn a year on defence and has a £1.25bn space programme.

This has to be a bribe of some sort????

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sorry about earlier – going off on one. I’m tired.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice to know we’re funding India’s space programme!

Northwind

footflaps – Member

We had 11.58 million pensioners in 2008 (1).

It looks like it costs something like £33 per person per benefit claim to means test something (2).

So that’s something like £382 million (11.58 million x £33) to means test a benefit across pensioners.

Given than half of all pensioners live on less than £13,600 (3) you are not going to be able to withdraw the benefit for a large proportion of the pensioners, so there just isn’t a significant saving to be made overall.

This is why we don’t means test TV license and bus passes – it just doesn’t save money.

Concise, well argued, easy to understand, and backed with solid numbers. Well played.

5lab

Isn’t the bus pass thing rather self governing? Rich old people won’t use a bus much (even if its free) cos its full of scrotes. Therefore the cost of giving them a bus pass is nothing.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘I agree with Nick’ is closed to new replies.