Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • I absolutely loved my first ever road ride……..
  • mcboo
    Free Member

Crossed to the Dark Side on Sunday, N.London-Brighton-N.London with a pal. Sore back and legs went a bit jelly towards the end but I had the time of my young life. Perfect conditions (warm, bit of cloud cover) helped but I never knew it was going to be so much fun blasting down country roads.

The best bit? Realising that MTB makes you very very good on hills. Were loads of lads on gucci bikes came past us on the flats, but by God those shaven legged fellas dont like the hills do they?

Been on a bit of a high ever since, dont mean to gloat but it was the perfect day with my mate. I may do it again.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes good on climbs but no flat out speed you will need both to win the Tour 8)
    Welcome aboard

KINGTUT
    Free Member

but by God those shaven legged fellas dont like the hills do they?

As you have said you are new to this, you will learn.

stcolin
    Free Member

The door is that way ->

😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

The sheer amount of riding you do in a day is so nice. Really covers the ground.

And unless you’re very good, don’t kid yourself about roadies being no good at hills…

🙂

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

it can be addictive so be careful – i didn’t ride my mtb for 8 months, and then when i went to the alps, i was wishing i was on the road instead of the singletrack…

JoB
    Free Member

you can stop calling it the Darkside now then?

ahwiles
    Free Member

fun isn’t it?

bikes are ace.

– i bought my first road bike last year after sortof pushing my employer into taking on the c2w scheme, when they agreed i realised i didn’t need another mountain bike and i’d just been pushing for the scheme as it gave me a ’cause’ to fight for. i ended up buying a road bike more out of curiosity than anything else. i’m glad i did, i love it! 🙂

i’ve even done my first triathlon… (learning to swim was the hard part).

mcboo
    Free Member

No, I’ve seen that Tour thing on the telly, I think I saw some hills. I was struck though how often the same guys came motoring past but saw them over and again on the hills.

I’m new, I loved it.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Why do people call it darkside? Does me ed in 😉

ourmaninthenorth

And unless you’re very good, don’t kid yourself about roadies being no good at hills…

I’m a roadie, and I’m sh*t at hills. Mind you, I don’t shave my legs – is that where I’m going wrong?

😉

john_l
    Free Member

MTB makes you very very good on hills

i think that mtb makes you better on hills than people who only ride their bikes twice a year.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Realising that MTB makes you very very good on hills.

I found this too. Went for my 1st road ride with a couple of people from a bristol cycling club. Got to some fairly steep hills and they started getting out of the saddle and I just cruised past them sitting down!

then again.. i like hills 🙂

warton
    Free Member

I’m slowly getting hooked, its so easy to just get out and ride, and you soon realize how inefficient your big heavy full suss is. I really resent any rides i do on the MTB that involve any road miles at all, its such a waste.

And the feeling of getting into bed with newly shaved legs…bliss

I’ll get me coat

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the best ones are the long slow grinding hills, sit and spin past them on the way up, blast past off the brakes on the way down. Had some two wheeled drift last night on some gravvely back roads 🙂

glenh
    Free Member

U R JEY and UR bik is ROde

Mister-P
    Free Member

“I’m faster up hills than some other people” willy waving 🙄

daveh
    Free Member

its so easy to just get out and ride, and you soon realize how inefficient your big heavy full suss is.

My thoughts exactly.

“My name is Dave, and I prefer road riding.”

There, I’ve said it, I can’t quite believe it myself but there it is. Bloody Gadget Show, bloody Halford’s sales, bloody Boardmans. 50+mph is a buzz, and with me weighing in at 17 stone and living in Sheffield, its all to easy to get!

mrchrispy

i havent touched my stumpy fsr since Jan 🙂
    when ever I get out now its on the road, i love it.
    even started thinking about selling my beloved as it just doesn’t get used.

anyone in the market for a 2006 fsr comp, probably less than 500 miles on it?

🙂

mcboo
    Free Member

Yep that man Boardman got me too. Have my 2 x MTB exactly as I want them, now discovered a whole new way to p1ss away money. Road kit prices? WTF?

MikeWW
    Free Member

Popped out with some roadies last Friday after buying a road bike the previous Sunday.Fast or what- warm up then you needed 25-27 mph average to stay with the front group for the next 45 mins-good fun though

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘I absolutely loved my first ever road ride……..’ is closed to new replies.