Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hydro discs for my tourer?
  • ton

got some bb5 cable discs on my LHT, but to be honest, they don’t cut the mustard.
    I suppose I am too used to good hydro disc set up’s, having used shimano saints for the last 6 or so years.
    so I am looking for some new brakes for my tourer, but will they be a bit too much.
    was thinking a set of 160mm deores.

danielgroves
    Free Member

I have a set of Deores on my rigid, and they’re on par with the XTs I had on my full-suss. Plenty of modulation in them, so I wouldn’t call it over-kill for touring. To be honest, I think if your going down any significant gradient with a loaded tourer I’d be grateful for the extra power.

scotroutes

Your flat-barred tourer is what the continentals would call a “trekking” bike – and they are almost exclusively fitted with decent hydro brakes.

I can’t say I’ve ever found a problem with the BB7s on my tourer – even when fully loaded – but then I’m a mere slip of a lad 😉

ton

I was going to add ‘I need them cos I am a big lump’…… 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t know why but my BB7s are closer in performance to my hydraulics than the BB5s I’ve had.

ton

bb5 are not very good to be honest.

jameso

Agreed, BB7s work better, maybe on bigger rotors if needed. They’re my preference for a bike taken abroad, more travel-resistant. Fine for a loaded 29er used off-road, even in the Alps although I’m wary/careful on really long brake-burners.

boblo
    Free Member

Depends what sort of touring you’ll be doing. Short ones near civilisation, hydros should be fine. Longer ones in the sticks, I’d opt for cable disks. Mebbies the BB5’s could be improved on? I have BB7’s on one bike and they were an improvement on the Lyrah’s that were on there before.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Ton, if you can wait I’ll be upgrading my nearly new BB7’s to TRP Hy/Rd when they come back in stock. Not sure how much better they are over BB5’s but maybe someone can say.

Basil

Fully loaded plus gradient on my Fargo I have faded my hydro brakes on 160 mm discs.
    But I is fat.

emanuel
    Free Member

I?d go maggie HS on a flat bar tourer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hydro discs for my tourer?’ is closed to new replies.