Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Hub-geared town bike problems
  • StirlingCrispin

Thump rattles around town on a 3-speed hub-geared, coaster-braked, dynamo-lit town bike (Bought as a Kona Bike a decade ago).

But he keeps pulling the back wheel out of alignment  and it’s doing our head in.

We can’t do the locknuts up any tighter – and the forward facing dropouts don’t take a conventional singlespeed tugnut.

Any solutions ?

Or – any similar bikes out there ? A newish Santander hire-bike would be perfect but I can’t see how to buy a 2nd-hand one.

The bike spends its life left outside gyms and I don’t want to spend thousands on a new one.

Thanks!

Note: These problems may have something to do with the torque he puts out – being Scottish junior powerlifting champion and all that.

simondbarnes

Try some better nuts?

rootes1

Shimano three speed?

matt_outandabout

Or – any similar bikes out there ? A newish Santander hire-bike would be perfect but I can’t see how to buy a 2nd-hand one.

Eldest_oab has two ex-hire like that after the company went bust…. I’ll message him.
    One is good, the other is the uni club bike which everyone rides – usually at Golfie or Laggan….

Eg

Ahem. Sorry. Students, Laggan, Beer.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cz4l3yAIpRY/?igsh=MjhyN3FxZHRpdmFx

StirlingCrispin

Shimano three speed

Yes – with back pedal coaster brake

Better nuts – there’s a thought. Maybe these have lost their bite.

matt_outandabout

@StirlingCrispin – no go from Jack. Apparently much needed for pub crawls and canal jumping challenges…. 🤷

timba
    Free Member
    johnners
    Free Member

Surly make the Hurdy Gurdy for this kind of problem on the Cross-Check, they’re pretty noncommittal about how likely they are to fit anything else though and at £30-odd they’re a bit pricey to just take a punt. I’m not mighty enough to have ever needed one on my C–C. Batavus do something similar for forward facing dropouts for about £8. More palatable price but I’ve never seen any in the flesh.

As above though, new nuts/washers might do the trick, once they’ve slipped a couple of times they won’t be all that grippy.

StirlingCrispin

Cheers all –
    I’ve ordered new nuts and will look at the solutions above.

rootes1

I’ve ordered new nuts and will look at the solutions above.

did you get new shimano washers as well?

5lab

if you use a half-link you can probably get the chain close enough to fully tensioned with the wheel slammed fully forwards, stopping it from moving any further.

mick_r

Wheel slammed fully forwards in forward facing dropouts is…. fallen out :-)

Slammed fully rearwards would work and give more clamping area. But as soon as things stretch there is no adjustment for slack.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got an OFO from their bankruptcy, I can’t remember how the axle is secured but I think the hub is finally knackered after riding home through a flood the other week then the recent frosts. Not bad for 7 years and the only maintenance it’s ever had has been
    chainsaw oil on the chain once or twice a year (it’s enclosed)
    2 new brake cables,
    cheap chinese dynamo lights to replace the original cheap chinese dynamo lights,
    a massive bolt to hold the basket on/together after I overloaded it and cracked it.
    New tyres which necessitated new mudguards.
    A new saddle and seatpost.

Chain has also stretched the length of the dropouts, so somewhere around 5% stretch!

I really wanted it to last till the office move in the summer!

prontomonto

I think I need some of those ebay chain tensioners above for my cargo bike (slack chain drags on chain cover, making an awful noise), but can’t understand if the work for forward facing dropouts?

Edit: confused myself looking at pics of BMX (rear facing dropout) ones – these ebay ones are for forward facing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

but can’t understand if the work for forward facing dropouts?

They should, depending on the exact design of the dropout, it’d need to be flat(ish) at the closed end of the dropout so the tensioner wasn’t trying to slide up or down the frame?

5lab

got any pics of the dropouts? Forward facing should have some tugs that would fit

mert
    Free Member

They should, depending on the exact design of the dropout, it’d need to be flat(ish) at the closed end of the dropout so the tensioner wasn’t trying to slide up or down the frame?

File a flat on them.

StirlingCrispin

Cheers himupstairs – bought.a pair of those tugs.

alpin
    Free Member

Slammed all the way back plus a chain tensioner?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.